Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this off my Parents recently to use as a newer BOV. It's a 98 2500 4x4 fleet truck, was used by the City for years and my father got it from his work on auction, still has the light bars, strobes and a 12K lb Hydralic liftgate on the bed. Can hold my polaris 500 sportsman ATV in the bed with the toolbox and still close the tailgate. Was gonna throw lockers in it maybe a 1-2in lift and 33 or 35 MT on it with a winch bumper and call it good.

I dont put much stock in the dedicated Greyman approach to everything but I Happened to have a conversation with another prepper friend In my area about it and he was debating that in a SHTF situation the truck would stick out and draw unwanted attention. I countered with the fact that it is a bare bones basic work truck commonly used by many city, county, and state road departments as well as many private contractors and construction companies that while it is equipped with lights to be seen its popular usage in most construction and maintenance areas does not trigger an out of place response in almost every area from urban city scapes to rural farmlands allowing it to skate under the radar easier for it equipment load out. Just wanted to get a few more opinions about the subject from other preppers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,601 Posts
Get some magnetic signs with white background so they will look permanent. Pick a business name that will bore, scare off most people. Like "Rothschilds Septic Sucking Business". Nobody will steal it or bother you.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jlw253

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,276 Posts
Get some magnetic signs with white background so they will look permanent. Pick a business name that will bore, scare off most people. Like "Rothschilds Septic Sucking Business". Nobody will steal it or bother you.

:thumb::D:

WHEN I was working for the task force doing UC work I had a couple of different sets of magnetic signs made up and you slap them on my one tone grey S10 with a cap and along with a mag mounted rotating light and a handful of generic carbonless forms, .. I could put on an orange hard hat, a high vis road worker vest and an aluminum clip board, and I could go anywhere and literally be invisible. I could stand there with a camera in plain sight within a hundred feet of a working dope house and NOBODY paid attention to me.:D: as I took pictures of everything on the lines and intersections and everything else while doing my "survey" I even had people try to sell me dope and hookers ask if I wanted a "date" while doing one of those gigs.

Nothing like disappearing while in plain sight.

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,601 Posts
I worked in a two way shop and we had all sorts of three letter agencies bring in surveillance vans. Most were commercially built with periscope cameras, blacked out windows, AC units and red lighting inside. I was able to pick them out on the street (In Miami) because they had oversized fuel tanks that hung down low and had blacked out windows. They were well kept, clean and shiny. Way too proud, those federal spooks.

We had some creepy guy come in to have a cellphone installed in his BMW. He was way too interested in the DEA van inside the garage and I had to run him out. Same BMW guy left a loaded Glock tucked between the seat and tunnel and it freaked out the installer while running cables. The DEA folks likewise were asking about BMW guy. In the end the installer put a sheet metal screw through his transmission cooler line, so he got some instant karma, though we paid for the leak.

But the best surveillance van was a ratty white Econoline plumbers van. It had all sorts of plumbing supplies visible in the windows and the antennas on rooftop inside PVC pipes on the roof rack. It looked crude and home made like most plumbers trucks. I doubt I would have picked it out on the street.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
If greyman is what you are after I can't think of anything better than an old white truck. Those are a dime a dozen up here at least, wouldn't get a second glance from anyone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looking at the picture and reading what others have commented, I immediately think to slap a landscaping logo on the side. I see tons of trucks like that every day here, with big tires, full contractor racks, extra equipment from the usual, and realize I never bat an eye at it. Granted, my area is big on oil, so huge trucks with steel bumpers and sky-high lifts aren't abnormal either, but the landscaping guys (there are lots) blend right in despite all the hardware they lug around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts