Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys recommend to be the best hiking/outdoors boot there is? obviously has to be waterproof, and i prefer 8"s

thanks

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Danner or Schnee's

These are my two favorite but I have to warn you they are expense! They are the best though :thumb:

http://www.schnees.com/product/Schnees-Granite-Mountain-Boot/hunting-boots

http://www.danner.com/product/boots/canadian+600g+insulated+hunting+boots.do

I have a set of Danner Eagle II's that I bought back in 1992 for hunting. They still hunt with me every year! They are that well built and will last a lifetime. They don't make the Eagle II's any more but the Canadian is basically the same boot...

If looking for something less expensive I would look at Irish Setter boots...

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
Depends on what works for you. Anything will get the job done, short of flip-flops.

Look for a military or commercial boot that you can try on in your area. Shoes and boots are very important because they are your main mode of transportation. Don't buy something unless you have tried it on.

I can recommend several types of hot-weather military style boots. They come in several sizes. Be careful of those cheap p.o.s. "jungle boots" that some surplus stores carry. Real issue boots will cost between $50-150 but they'll last quite a while.

There are several manufactures of military style boots.
bates, cochran, oakley, everybody else under the sun, etc...

(btw, I don't believe any boot is truly waterproof...water resistant is the phrase I think fits better)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've been happy with Red Wings,Danner,Bates and my old Army issue boots,both the black leather and newer desert boots.

IMO,it's worth checking to make sure the boots you're buying are US made. Almost every manufacturer has now moved some of their production to China and the quality and fit is NOT the same,although the price is. :mad:
Last year I bought a pair of Vasque Sundowner hiking boots and a pair of Irish Setter hunting boots which are both brands/models I've worn for years and they don't feel right. After checking I saw that both are now Chinese made and appear to be lesser in quality than my older Italian made Vasque's and US made Irish Setter's.

Since then I've stocked back a couple pairs of Red Wings and an extra pair of Danner Flashpoint boots because I have no doubt the days of any US made boots are numbered. :(

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I used to wear nothing but Vasque's. Their quality has really dropped off in the last couple of years though.

Now I wear ASOLO's. I've never found a tougher boot, more comfortable boot.

·
Svensk hamster
3,092 Posts
my dad and I use Meindel, which is a very good boot. Dont know if you can find it where you live. I have also tried Merrel boots and the swedish army boot, but these are not nearly as good as the Meindel. Also, buy the best boot you can find, you have to try and save money on other items instead.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Danner, Chippewa, Red Wing, Thorogood, Rocky, Corcoran, Bates..

There are many others of great quality, but no matter which brand you go with get their made in the USA boots. Almost all have made in China knockoffs, which still arent all bad, but not nearly as good.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I didn't notice the waterproof requirement on the first read through. I'm a big fan of Sno-Seal and recently I've been trying out the NikWax brand water proofing and I'm impressed with it so far.

Gore-Tex has worked OK for me in cooler weather but it it makes boots too hot for me in any kind of warm weather.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure what type of boot would be good for survival, I guess a sturdy boot that would carry you through mud, blood, sand and snow. I've broken my back twice and have to be careful what I wear on my feet or everything goes bad. I love my Rocky Bear Claws, they are about 20 years old and on their third soles but after the last break I can't wear them for more than one day without problems.
The boot I wear every day is the Bates Desert Assault Boot and I can walk all day in them. Rain or snow.. [well.. 6" of snow] and my feet are still dry and my back doesn't start going out on me.

Amazon.com: Men's Bates® M - 9 Desert Assault Boots: Shoes

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
cool thanks guys.

anyone else have an opinion?

perhaps somethings a bit cheaper haha
I'll post the same again :D: You asked what the best boot was and these two are it! There are no finer boots made on the planet then Schnee's or Danner. If your not really looking for the "best boot" then just go down to the local sporting goods store and find a pair that fits well. Not trying to be grumpy with you but you did ask what the best was....
And I learned LONG AGO the most important part of you gear is your boots!

Danner or Schnee's

These are my two favorite but I have to warn you they are expense! They are the best though

http://www.schnees.com/product/Schne.../hunting-boots

http://www.danner.com/product/boots/...nting+boots.do

I have a set of Danner Eagle II's that I bought back in 1992 for hunting. They still hunt with me every year! They are that well built and will last a lifetime. They don't make the Eagle II's any more but the Canadian is basically the same boot...

If looking for something less expensive I would look at Irish Setter boots...

·
Registered
200 Posts
gortex mil issue, u got to remember, water can get into your boots from the top as well.. so when it's raining, don't tuck your pant legs into your boots..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lowa, Asolo, and Montrails are all good bets. Much better than jungle boots, Danners, Irish Setters in my experience unless you are a flat-lander. Use in conjunction with gaiters to make waterproof in tall wet grass or deep snow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts