Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
OK but a basic work set of cotton blue coveralls. If you are the suit and tie crowd you may not want to be.

I have a set in my car but it is not anything as flash as a flight suit. It was a miners jump suit I got for ten dollars. And it is fluro.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,779 Posts
Flight suit sized to fit over your civvies with the pockets loaded with BOB contents. Store this in a nearly empty backpack and stuff it with items that are always in your truck (mission essentials) and move!
It would have to be pretty minimalist--lots of what I have in my BOB doesn't readily fit in pockets.

Similar to this is having a pair of cargo pants and stuff those pockets with stuff.

Interesting thought exercise, not sure it's all that valuable. If I were to take the minimalist approach, perhaps the addition of a small backpack would make it easier to ditch what I had, plus take unusual sizes.

Reactions: 357revolverfan

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
My survival system is layered, with the Pocket system carrying the most critical essentials.

It consist of a poncho, in my left BDU cargo pocket, and a small 5X7 ultralight tarp in my right rear back pocket.

I have a wool blanket hoodie, with a built in roll strap set up. This allows me to roll it up and carry it slung over my shoulder when it's too warm to wear. I consider it a nearly priceless piece of gear. Additional insulation comes in the form of an emergency thermal blanket in one of my rear BDU pockets.

Water is carried in a 2qt SS Bottle on a sling.

On my belt is a USAF Survival knife, and a multitool.

Left front pocket has my firestarter (Firesteel and Magnesium rod on a lanyard)

In my right side cargo pocket is a 240 foot roll of contractor grade Mason's line (#36), or trotline/bank line. I also have my maps in this pocket.

On my belt, I have my GI Tritium compass.

Back to the right side cargo pocket, I have a small fishing kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like those Fishpond vest/backpacks like on Amazon. They have built in hydration and pockets everywhere. I have been contemplating one for at least a year. Just have not made the commitment. Check them out. "Fishpond Wildhorse Tech Pack"

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
I like the basic idea. But I would be more inclined to go a little more gray man, and a less restrictive garment.

Take a look at Scottevest:
http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Explorer-Shirt.shtml
http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/QUEST_Vest_Men.shtml
http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Flex-Cargo-Pants.shtml

The same advantages, except does not stand out like a sore thumb, and easier to adjust for more situations. Also can be worn during less critical circumstances and still have the items needed, rather than changed into only when things are dire.

Just my opinion.

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,191 Posts
Yeah pockets with edc is the way to go. It's not a bad idea though but I'd think weight and size of pockets would start to become an issue before you got past the bare bones stuff

·
Registered
348 Posts
I live and work in an area where alot of folks wear coveralls. You could definitely blend in and cover all types of rigging.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oh and a pair of channel lock pliers and a 11 in 1 klien screwdriver in one back pocket and a motorola HT1250 radio in the other really feels like your carrying to much after a 12 hour shift..

·
Super Moderator
12,073 Posts
There is quite a difference in standard workers coveralls and flight suits. Very visible differences, especially when loaded up with gear.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I had thought about tankers coveralls once.
But, have you ever taken a dump when wearing coveralls?
Did not enjoy nomex CVC coveralls at all back when I had to wear them -- even the aviation crowd has shifted towards two piece FR uniforms for the better practicality they offer. (Plus, I think at the big picture logistics level it's easier to get a properly fitting uniform when you have two halves to mix and match versus a single garment.)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts