Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fieldline.com/proddetail.aspx?sku=QCB114WM

What do you think of the new pack I'm thinking about getting? Lifetime guarantee, looks pretty roomy, can add extras to it, has a place for hydration pack...... Has alot of +'s. What -'s does it have?

It only costs $19.97

Attachments

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
For 20 bucks I say good deal. Only nick picks I got is that it doesn't seem to have a compartment for sleeping bag. Looks (from picture) to be around a 45L bag which is good. Known lots of people who go for 70s for the extra room, and end up just not using any of it. As for the lifetime gaurantee just ignore that. The companies don't do squat for replacing packs. They only guarantee if one of the components comes in broken. But as i already stated 20 bucks can't go wrong.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's not alight weight pack, it is a heavy guage fabric (kinda like the old bookbags-jansport etc.) on the inside and a heavy guage fabric backed with a rubber type material on top of that (almost 3/16" thick-on bottom and 1/8" everywhere else). It does have the straps on the bottom of it for sleeping bags (can't see it in the picture). I bought one tonight to look it over and gather more info. I have to agree for $20 I have reservations on it but it seams to be put together rally good. Double stitching on stress points, heavy gauge thread, heavy gauge fabric.

I bought it at Wal-mart (dont usally buy anything like this there but if the price and quality is right-why not) and they only have 4 left (I need 3 more) and I was wondering if anyone has ever had a pack made by this company. I have seen it sold somewhere else but can't think of where (ok found it at Bass pro and Cabelas).

Anyone had a pack by this company, how did it work for you?

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok

Bass Pro shop sells it under RedHead brand

Cabelas sells it under Dwight Schuh designed brand

Go to the original link and click on retailers, click on Cabelas it goes straight to the packs, Go to Bass Pros shop and type Fieldline in and get there Redhead brand.

Both sites sell the same packs (packs within the design line) for $70-90 dollars, so is it just cheaper because it is sold under its real name and not the Designer names? The company has been in buisness for over 20 years making packs, there has to be someone who has had one of these brand packs.

Please tell of your experience, Thanks.

Edit:

Looks like Wal-mart aquired last years pack at a discount, the pack was sold for $69.00-$99.00 under all it's alias'. I have found the current pack as far back as 06 and they now have a new pack that takes it's place. So as far as you get what you pay for it-does the clearance/bulk buyout price count-or the original price count? I have found several reviews from hunters who like the pack and say it is built really well, but so far no hikers or campers. Are hunters rougher on there packs or are hikers?

I spent 3 weeks on the Appalacian (started in Georgia) trail in 98 and my Kelty pack broke 10 days into the trip, It was $180.00 pack but did not live up to it's name. Does price always determine quality?

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
I say go ahead and pick them up. At 20 bucks a pack that's worth it, even if they only last you a few months. I personally wouldn't buy that pack (even for 20 dollars) as it's not my style. Well....take that back for 20 dollars i'm sure i could find a use for it.

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
every field line pack i have had has fallen apart. zippers break, fastecks break, snaps break, seams split etc.
except one- a lumbar pack but it only gets used 3 months out of the year! during season!

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
I suppose it would also depend on exactly what you plan on using the pack for too. Where my pack is used for backpacking around world, camping, hiking, kayaking, etc. And has held up really well.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I Have the exact one. I loaded it up last night and i'm taking it bagk tonight. I'm 6'3'' and about 190lbs. the wast strap was up around my ribs, the internal frame slabs didnt do anything, and the sholder straps are way too short. that little attatchment thingy on the sholder strap ends up being on your back because the straps are too short, the chest strap was around my neck too! For a smaller person it would be ok. quality didnt look too bad and its prity big. it has a front loading capibility too, which i personaly think is a weak point. The overall quality is decent for 20 bucks, stiching is ok. the material is a felt-like fabric that seems to be decent. it has a sraw string at the top and looks to be water resistant. For $20 it isnt a bad deal, assuming that it fits. It is deffenitly not made for long distances or holding alot of gear. 24hr pack is about its limit...at best.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The packs straps fit us pretty good (not too high, not too low), we are 5'8, 5'0, 4'6 (11yr old) and 4'3 (8 yr old). I thought the straps would be too long but they seam to fit nicely (maybe because of our shorter statue). The packs really fit the 8 and 11 yers old good, not too big and bulky. We usally only take the bare essentials, we are really good at find multiuse lightweight items.

I actually got to talk to some hiker friends of mine andy they have this line of packs and say they do really good for the price. The only problem they have had is with the zippers on the front, but not a big issue on this pack becasue the main compartment is a draw string top and only has zippers on 2 small outside pockets.

Thanks for all the input, I think we have decided to buy and try. If they don't work out then back they go.

We will use the packs this coming weekend hiking to the Fire tower at Hanging Rock NC, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Godbless

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
That looks ok, once you have packed it and seen the comfort factor then give us a test report.

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will do just that, look fo this thread next monday (october 13) for a report.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
The packs straps fit us pretty good (not too high, not too low), we are 5'8, 5'0, 4'6 (11yr old) and 4'3 (8 yr old). I thought the straps would be too long but they seam to fit nicely (maybe because of our shorter statue). The packs really fit the 8 and 11 yers old good, not too big and bulky. We usally only take the bare essentials, we are really good at find multiuse lightweight items.

I actually got to talk to some hiker friends of mine andy they have this line of packs and say they do really good for the price. The only problem they have had is with the zippers on the front, but not a big issue on this pack becasue the main compartment is a draw string top and only has zippers on 2 small outside pockets.

Thanks for all the input, I think we have decided to buy and try. If they don't work out then back they go.

We will use the packs this coming weekend hiking to the Fire tower at Hanging Rock NC, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Godbless

There is a long sipper along the front of the pack for quick access. it is a nich feature but i think that in rough use it is a major weak point. I'm sure that you'll have no problems. Best of luck with your new pack:thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
If this is to be your main Bug Out Bag then you get what you pay for. I'd look for something more brand name with good reviews.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I checked this bag out when at walmart the other night and it looks good especially for the money! I am not sure if it will fit me if it didnt fit CPL because i am 6'4" but I am going to go try it on again and if it feels alright I will definitely buy one. Looks like a lot of bag for the money there are a lot of nice features on it. I have a larger backpacking pack that I will use for a BOB but this pack is definitely big enough for a day hike or even an overnight camping trip, maybe a weekend trip if you dont pack a lot of clothes.

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
I say...great deal for the size & price. just give it a good look over the first couple times you load it all the way down & use it! a backpack for that price is sometimes very reliable, but can tear some of the stitching in places when loaded down. your local army/navy store should beable to repair it well if it does!
i kinda need to update mine even though its only a year old. it was around $40 at the time. it fits, i could use just a lil more room

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
it's a 20$ bag....i have one it's ok...i would not load it up with 40lbs of gear and walk 10 miles with it...no suspension wtcih means the pack will not ride well on your back and it's heavy...also mine has ripped after the first use the lining inside ripped ...for a day pack to carry a few things i say get it...for a BOB no....spend the extra 20$-30$ and get a better bag....and yes the straps are short...so the extra pocket rides high...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts