Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Original Pokemon are best
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im sure Im getting annoying asking for help and not giving a whole lot back in return (I try). But I'm still learning. So here are my kits that I have for certain areas or reasons...I tried uploading these, but the files had problems. So Im sorry this is going to be a little longer. Please help me a little. :eek::

Car Survival/Emergency Kit
This is a small list of what I normally keep In my car, it is used to just keep me safe, warm in a stranded situation and includes some items incase I need to be kept alive in an emergency survival situation until I can get home for the rest of my gear.
 2 Neglegene Bottles
 1 Bottle of Water Purification Tablets
 3 ft Gorilla Tape
 1 Can of Fix-a-Flat (just discovered this)
 4 Pairs of Hand Warmers
 4 Pairs of Toe Warmers
 Small Fishing Kit
1. Hooks
2. 50 ft Line Wrapped Around A Hot Glue Stick (I like Stren 20 lb. test)
3. 15 Split Shot Sinkers
4. 2 Mini Bobbers
5. 3 Small Jig Heads
6. Plastic Grubs of Two Different Colors
 2 Wool Blankets
 1 Razor Blade (box cutter types)
 Emergency Water Bag
 2 Mini Maglites
 50 ft Paracord
 Banner Saying “Call Police”
 3 Disposable Ponchos
 Jumper Cables
 1 Box of Nature Valley Bars (Variety Pack)
 1 Disposable Lighter
 Waterproof Matches
 Fire Steel
 A Few Cans of Fruit (can give water)
 10 Cable Ties
 Emergency Whistle
 2 Lightsticks
 Multi-Tool (right now my fishing tool, any suggestions?)
In the winter I also pack gloves, a wool hat, socks, and a change of clothes. There is also a folding shovel, and some sand for traction. I have a jack at all times. I want some of those flare type things cops have when they block a road. They light them and lay them on the ground (what are they called and where?). Is there anything I am missing?

Wilderness Survival Kit
This is my wilderness survival kit; I carry it with me every time I go out to the woods. I never go out for just a day always at least one night. In this kit I usually carry a tent, but in the event of camping at a family-type campsite I then just have a tarp.
 Tarp
 2 Bandanas
 Emergency Blanket (non disposable)
 Fire Steel
 Compass (suggestions?)
 Fishing Kit
1. 2 Mini Bobbers
2. 20 Fishing Hooks
3. 50 ft Fishing Line (wrapped on hot glue stick)
4. Jig Heads
5. Grubs of Three Colors
6. Split Shot Weights
7. Razor Blade (box cutter type)
8. 4 Swivels
9. 50 ft Braided Spider Wire (used to make warning device)
 Snare Wire
 Gorilla Tape
 Flashlight
 Swiss Champ(I prefer this over normal multi-tools)
 Waterproof Matches
 Disposable Lighter
 Saber Saw
 Disposable Poncho
 Sleeping Bag
 Small Coffee Can (used to boil water/cook food)
 Signal Mirror
 Whistle
 Paracord (bracelet)
 First Aid Kit (including Sawyer venom kit)
 Knife Sharpener
 USMC Kabar
 Water Purification Tabs
 2 Neglegene Bottles
 Ziploc Bags
 Petroleum Jelly Soaked Cotton Balls
 Safety Pins
 Lightstick
 Zip Ties
 20 ft Nylon Thread
 2 Upholstery Needles
All this I keep in my Large Alice Pack. Anything missing or should be taken out? Let me know!

Wallet Survival Kit
This is what I carry with me at all times3 ft Gorilla Tape
 Safety Pins
 Fire Steel
 50 ft Fishing Line
 5 Fishing Hooks
 1 Flat Whistle
 20 ft Nylon Thread
 1 Upholstery Needle
 Small Morse Code Cheat Sheet
 P-38 Can Opener
 Magnifying Glass (very small)
 Condom (non lubricated)
 1 Small Ziploc Bag
 Piece of a Hack Saw Blade
 Utility Knife Blade (wrapped with a small amount of electrical tape)
 2 Individually Wrapped Water Purification Tabs
On my key ring I have a bottle opener and a small flashlight. I also always carry a bracelet made with paracord. If you have any suggestions on what to add or take out, let me know. Also any ways to store the paracord in a easy way is appreciated. I always have a Sigg bottle because that is what I use for school/workouts.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, for the car kit can anyone reccommend a bag that is, preferrably cheap? I dnt want it to be a bag that will rip easily, but can still be somewhat durable.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
You can get one of those tough dry bags for the car kit to store everything in. Something like these:
http://www.drybag.org/

Your kits sound good to me except for a few edibles to take along and some kind of small stove, like a hobo stove or Esbit alcohol stove. There's a thread here about Datrex that could give you some ideas about food rations, although I like the Millenium Bars also mentioned there the best. They can be included in a car kit because of the ability to take considerable heat without spoiling or melting. I think I'd exchange a small water filter in place of the water purifying chemicals, or maybe take both, but one or the other is okay.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HA, I knew I forgot to write down the stove. I do have one that runs on a standard propane. For the car though, I may add one of those that run on a fuel bar that looks like wax. I saw it on one of this site's videos. That dry bag sounds good. Thank you. Ans as for the roadside falres, I found these. http://www.vat19.com/dvds/flameless-flare.cfm

And here's a link to the stove I'm going to get and below that is the fuel is runs on. It seems pretty cool. As for food I'm thinking things like ramen noodles, and other things to that extent. http://yhst-24409635036872.stores.yahoo.net/pocket-stove.html

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
HA, I knew I forgot to write down the stove. I do have one that runs on a standard propane. For the car though, I may add one of those that run on a fuel bar that looks like wax. I saw it on one of this site's videos. That dry bag sounds good. Thank you. Ans as for the roadside falres, I found these. http://www.vat19.com/dvds/flameless-flare.cfm

And here's a link to the stove I'm going to get and below that is the fuel is runs on. It seems pretty cool. As for food I'm thinking things like ramen noodles, and other things to that extent. http://yhst-24409635036872.stores.yahoo.net/pocket-stove.html
Yeah, I think that stove is exactly like the Esbit I mentioned. It does pretty good in a BOB, and stays lit long enough to do the job. You could have other fuel too, even wood, I think, if you ran out of the fuel tabs. Or dryer lint with Vaseline maybe. I may experiment with some other fuels to see if they work as well.

Here's some of those Millenium bars I mentioned:
http://beprepared.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=Millenium+bars&image1.x=24&image1.y=6
Ramen noodles would have to be rotated frequently in the hot summer but would likely work fine if you did that.

Somewhere on here was mentioned a paracord bracelet or belt, but there are other places that tell you how to make one:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-bracelet-with-a-side-release-buckle/
You could google more sites too under "paracord bracelet". It seems like it would be a good way to carry the paracord.

I have a water purifying straw for my car, but I like the sound of this one and may get it:
http://www.campingsurvival.com/sustcowapusy.html

"The Survival Straw is not a filter! It is a highly efficient water purification system that destroys harmful bacteria and viruses that exist in most sources of water. Unlike a typical filter which attempts to trap impurities, the Survival Straw eliminates them.
A single Survival Straw can process over 5,000 gallons (This is a claim by the manufacturer that is not verified) - that's a lifetime of pure water. Compare this to a typical carbon filter which has to be replaced about 30 days after initial use.
Destroys E.coli, giardia, cryptosporidia
Removes Ethylene Dibromide, EDB, Iron, Mercury, Chlorine, Radon, Pesticides, Herbicides, Arsenic, Cobalt, bad tase and odor
100% Alloy Media No Silver or Carbons
Long Lasting
Eliminates Heavy Metals
Eliminates Carcinogens
Meets FDA Standards. EPA Est. 67814-FL-001
Certified Bacteriostatic Device
Lifetime Replacement Guarantee
Certified to destroy greater than 99.99% of most bacteria, Certified to remove greater than 99.99% of ethylene dibromide (EBD), Destroys greater than 99.99% of microorganisms including E.Coli, cryptosporidium and giardia lambli cysts."

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Not Lubricated! :xeye:

Its a wallet kit, dude... not a TEOTWAWKI situation! :D:
LOL....I have to agree with Michigan RN on this one. Save that for the 'fun' stuff.

I would suggest replace the condom with a Reynolds Oven Bag. It's much larger, more durable and is designed resist heat. So you could use it close to a fire (obviously NO open flames) possibly over coals to boil/purify water. Plus you could fold it to the same size as a condom.

Doesn't fit well in the wallet tho :D:

Just my thought.:)

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
More food. 2 days for 2 people is what I carry.

Put together a decent first aid kit.

Keep the wilderness kit in the car and drop items you're doubled up on. You might have to walk home.

A set of automotive tools, spare belts, plugs, bulbs, fuses, 10 ga. wire, and automotive fluids. Gallon gas can. portable jump start kit.

Cell phone charger and a CB radio in case the cell is SOL.

You can never have too much fix-a-flat or too many road flares.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
I think you made up a good useful kit but I would surely get rid of the coffee can for boiling water & cooking. Get a real small light cooking pot or at least a GI canteen cup.

A couple large contractor size trash bags are a great addition. They are good for keeping things dry,using as waterproof sleeping bag covers or even a quick rain jacket. I have also stuffed the contractor bags full of leaves or grass for a sleeping pad.

You can buy the highway flares at auto parts stores,I like the longer 30 minute ones. When things are wet or in pouring rain they work great for starting fires.

In a car kit I would add a tire valve core tool $3 or so. Many times I have seen a loose tire valve core cause a slow leak. Tough to tighten without one. A 12' length of mechanics wire (steel wire) is also a nice very cheap addition. You can repair many things with this stuff.

A few single packs of instant coffee or tea is also a good addition.

I also carry the Swiss Champ in my kits.

Red

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I think you made up a good useful kit but I would surely get rid of the coffee can for boiling water & cooking. Get a real small light cooking pot or at least a GI canteen cup.

A couple large contractor size trash bags are a great addition. They are good for keeping things dry,using as waterproof sleeping bag covers or even a quick rain jacket. I have also stuffed the contractor bags full of leaves or grass for a sleeping pad.

You can buy the highway flares at auto parts stores,I like the longer 30 minute ones. When things are wet or in pouring rain they work great for starting fires.

In a car kit I would add a tire valve core tool $3 or so. Many times I have seen a loose tire valve core cause a slow leak. Tough to tighten without one. A 12' length of mechanics wire (steel wire) is also a nice very cheap addition. You can repair many things with this stuff.

A few single packs of instant coffee or tea is also a good addition.

I also carry the Swiss Champ in my kits.

Red
The trash bags are an excellent suggestion. Make them black to soak up the sun. There are quite a few uses for them.
I'd also put in a few pieces of tin foil, if that hasn't been mentioned. The oven bags will work for that. You can make a reflector oven, cook meals inside of them, reflect light from a lantern to give more light or to direct the light, another waterproof container, a wrapping for food, and many other uses.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so I added the tire valve core tool and instant drink mix (gatorade) to the car kit. I just like gatorade better than coffe bc it makes me thirsty. There is also a crystal light green tea mix in there. Millenium bars ordering soon...hope they taste good. Foil is in the car and the wilderness survival kit. A purifying straw in the wilderness kit.

The condom is in the wallet because it fits lol. And as for fun, I never trust one thats been in the wallet. :upsidedown:

One black trash bag added to wilderness, two for the car.

The extra gas can is a colapsible one I got online, forgot to type it down lol.

Thanks for tellin me about that fix-a-flat in the winter. I suppose a spare would have to do in that season.

Baling wire and 2 purifying drinking straws added in the car as well.

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS SO ANY BOOKS ON BASIC REPAIR IS APPRECIATED LOL!!!!!!! Any other advice?

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it worth it?

I was wondering if this gas can is worth it, its collapsible so it doesn't take up as much space as a normal one, but at the same time this is a one time use kinda deal. Personally I'm thinkin that the plastic reuseable is probably a better choice even though it takes up the space, what do you think?:confused:

http://safetycentral.com/gasohaul.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would add a headlamp to every kit. Instead of two minin maglights, go to one since you have light sticks and headlamp. I would get headlamps that take the same battery size as your mini maglights so that you can pack extra batteries for both. :)

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe, I like that idea...I feel dumb for not thinking of it and I even have one for camping lol. So I guess technically it's already in the wilderness and I just gota switch it over now.:xeye:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I was wondering if this gas can is worth it, its collapsible so it doesn't take up as much space as a normal one, but at the same time this is a one time use kinda deal. Personally I'm thinkin that the plastic reuseable is probably a better choice even though it takes up the space, what do you think?:confused:

http://safetycentral.com/gasohaul.html
I'd get the reuseable one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.