Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Backpacker
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name or what you can call me is sliver...I made a small misspelling in my name but back to my thread.

I have ONE survival guide after my awakening I bought it, but it didn't have all the information I want and or need. If there are any low costing books that would help me? Reading another post I picked out a BOL but I still need to stalk up and fix it. After all my family hasn't been to the cabin in years....if we still own it.

I need tips and tricks of the low-cost and thrifty type. I plan on taking classes like the book suggested but I don’t know what to take.

Tom brown's school is to expensive for me I was wondering if there was a school/classes in California that are about in the same department of information.

And I would also like a tip or two on which gun to buy.

Thank you all in advance!
Sliver- the noob

·
Cold Water Kayaker
1,834 Posts
Welcome from Maine sliver (good name by the way).

I think over time all of your questions will be answered. The first thing to do is to use the Search function and look up previous posts that pertain to your questions. If you don't see one there or it's a bit outdated then feel free to post on the correct forum. People here are very helpful.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My name or what you can call me is sliver...I made a small misspelling in my name but back to my thread.

I have ONE survival guide after my awakening I bought it, but it didn't have all the information I want and or need. If there are any low costing books that would help me? Reading another post I picked out a BOL but I still need to stalk up and fix it. After all my family hasn't been to the cabin in years....if we still own it.

I need tips and tricks of the low-cost and thrifty type. I plan on taking classes like the book suggested but I don’t know what to take.

Tom brown's school is to expensive for me I was wondering if there was a school/classes in California that are about in the same department of information.

And I would also like a tip or two on which gun to buy.

Thank you all in advance!
Sliver- the noob
cheap in cali god maybe an ar-15 if they are still legal.If to pricey ruger mini-14

·
Registered
79 Posts
welcome from florida (though i just joined a few days ago as well).

the "sas survival handbook" by jon "lofty" wiseman seems to be a commonly suggested survival book, and has some real good information (plus pretty much every library has a copy, i'm flipping through it again from one due to boredom) and if you can find it the barnes and noble reprint of the "united states air force search and rescue survival training" is decent (about 2 inches thick, well worth the $20 or so i think i paid for it)

but i'd stick to the libraries, read and learn what you can for free and if you find a book that's especially useful as a reference that you can go back to by that if you can.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
Welcome to the board from Arizona.
There's lots of good information out there. I'm surprised at the amount of good survival and outdoor living related info is on Youtube. There's also lots of bunk available, too. Only learning and experience will tell you which is which, but even now you can filter a lot of the rubbish just by thinking about what they're saying, if it makes sense or sounds reasonable or not.
As you get into the stocking up and prepping scene, the most important thing is to avoid getting into debt.
Research what's available as far as equipment goes, think carefully about your individual needs, and get the best equipment you can afford that meets your needs. There are many things on the "to get" list that, IMHO, should come before a tactical rifle, things much cheaper and more necessary in both short and long term.
Perseverence is much more productive than flash-in-the-pan efforts.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
Welcome from Georgia!!
:D:

Reactions: SSGNasty

·
Backpacker
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys! thanks for the tip's and yet again for a warm welcome!
soo hold off on the guns and get nessesities first, roger that!

·
Plants don't run!
1,977 Posts
Welcome! Check out the downloads section of this website! They have some really useful and FREE!! information! If one day you can afford it I would highly recommend going to Tom Brown's school. He is amazing. Some colleges offer "outdoor living skills" classes and the like. Those are good for introductory classes into surviving in the woods.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Welcome sliver. You might want to get ahold of your local agriculture extention for day classes on gardening, beekeeping, sewing, canning. You might want to join a garden club and take the hikes that show what foods to forage for in your area.

Read this site a lot and you will pick up all sorts of information. Make sure to paractice practice and read some more.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts