Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Padre in the woods
1,803 Posts
Where are you getting your coins? I used to get them from our banker, who also helped us with our CDs and IRA. But he retired. I guess a guy who is 74 is entitled to do that. Anyway, I need to find new sources.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Nice change but I wish they’d gone to four nines. Then I’d be a buyer.
I have much less interest in 99.999% gold. I’m just going to guess most people agree given the popularity of Krands, Eagles, and sovereigns vs maple leafs and philharmonics. I do have some 1/10 oz maple leafs because I got a good deal on them.

The Mints makes buffalos in 24K if that’s what you want.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When 3 nines is mentioned, the coin is 99.9 % gold. Four nines = 99.99%. Most coins sold are three nines, now and again you might see four nines from certain mints.

24 k. is a jewelry term which has its own definition of purity. Almost impossible to refine any metal to 100%

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
When 3 nines is mentioned, the coin is 99.9 % gold. Four nines = 99.99%. Most coins sold are three nines, now and again you might see four nines from certain mints.

24 k. is a jewelry term which has its own definition of purity. Almost impossible to refine any metal to 100%
Yep I double taped the nines. Or maybe out of habit. 5-9s is our spec on mission critical system performance. 4 9s is what the posted wanted. I want ~90%- it makes for far more durable coins.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts

1 oz. gold Buffalos, Maples, Britannia...etc are .9999 fine.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Yep I double taped the nines. Or maybe out of habit. 5-9s is our spec on mission critical system performance. 4 9s is what the posted wanted. I want ~90%- it makes for far more durable coins.
Nothing wrong with that! I‘m not using gold as pocket change so durability isn’t as important to me. I just like the brilliance and purity of 24kt. I also doubt that I’ll ever be spending one.

·
Padre in the woods
1,803 Posts
On a scale of use, the gold is on par with a large bill and in reserve for that massive output of cash. I tend to use barter/trade for what I need supplemented with quarters, fifty cent pieces, and dollar coins.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm tempted to pick a few up, but I am concerned about how easy it will be to convert over to cash if I needed to. If gold were to go up to say $5k a coin, it may be hard to find someone with $5k to give to me for the coin.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'm tempted to pick a few up, but I am concerned about how easy it will be to convert over to cash if I needed to. If gold were to go up to say $5k a coin, it may be hard to find someone with $5k to give to me for the coin.
Inventory / market.

Your local trusted gold / coin dealer would not have inventory/minimal inventory, and would be more than happy to purchase & or trade for yours.

·
Padre in the woods
1,803 Posts
Seems to me, if you had a gold coin which was worth $5,000 on the gold market, the need by some to obtain gold could sway some big ticket deals. For example, a farm store sitting on an $8,000 tractor which is not selling with dollars or standard coin, might be enticed to sell that $8,000 tractor for far less to get gold.

On the other side, I don't see gold coins as a good low dollar trade as groceries, medicine, and merchandise less than $5,000 could not be bartered decently, and I don't think the buyer would like to take "change" in anything other than gold. What we dearly need would be a $1 or $5 gold coin accepted by both the gold trader and average person.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts