Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
This from my china moto

"Skyteam was formed by a group of engineers that broke away from Jincheng and used Jincheng engines and components from other suppliers to create more Monkey and ST70 replicas. Nowadays they use LIFAN engines.

Well, they've just released versions of the Suzuki Van Van, a sort of street dual sport thing with low slung chassis and fat tyres. They will be available in 125 and 250 forms and have the counter-balanced LIFAN engine in them.

True to form, the Chinese have not only ripped-off someone else's design, but also the name given to that bike : V-Raptor which belongs to the Italian maker CAGIVA...are they incapable of original thought?."

So they are made in china not made by suzuki.

Chinese motorcycles have a well deserved reputation for build quality.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
funny you should mention- i am actually looking to buy a motorcycle, not a 125, but still.
good link.

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
funny you should mention- i am actually looking to buy a motorcycle, not a 125, but still.
good link.
I recently completed a study basically for myself about the accessibility of the roads and highways to bug out on in Co Durham if TSHTF, My findings were dismal, At any given time within a 30 mile radius there has in the last year been MAJOR roadworks affecting one or more ( usually more) of this areas roads A1M, A19, A 688, A 689, A 68, B 1278,A 167, A 177 which means long traffic queues on normal days even outside the rush hour. Then add the daily wave of crashes even in good weather that closes huge chunks of the road network often for over 12 hours. Then add the extra when the weather is bad, or its winter, or night time. Add the idiot blue uniformed tax collectors constant efforts to drive trucks and vans off the road etc, Overall the only really viable bug out time option in my van that would be available the most was between 3 AM and 5 AM. BUt even that is impacted at times especially in July and August when the brain dead lesser spoted idiot farmer who decides to crawl along for miles in his tractor bring misery to millions.

That has made me and others on preppersuk etc to discuss adapting our bug out plans accordingly. If you take the above average traffic conditions and flow, then add to it 60 million sheeple in a blind panic like a labour voter loosing his UB40 if TSHTF , AND add to it the govt or cops, or council or military trying to stop the sheeple fleeing, and dont forget the Emergency Military priority traffic routes that sees most main roads closed to civilian traffic in a crisis...... Well you get the point.
Ergo currently my poor wife is now checking to see if her CBT is still valid, my spoilt brat is getting bike lessons down the local off road track, and I like your good self are thinking " I need a bike or combo if I'm going to have any mobility"

But where the F*** are the bikes they only appear to make slowpeds, 12 hp 125s then huge sodding great sports bikes, I want somefink between 250 and 500 cc single cyl or twin, not a tall off roader and not a plastic fantastic rice burner. Something like a GS500 or GN 250 but there aint any to be had !!

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Im looking at getting a Yamaha virago xv 535 - good all arounder- looks pretty for non bug out use, good power to fuel consumption ratio and easy to ride with good reviews on reliability and quality.

Im getting it as first and foremost a primary mode of transport- fuel prices and tax and insurance along with upkeep make a car unresonable for me at the moment-
secondary use is a BOB (bug our bike lol) or a get home bike if i am in the city at the time working. I have zero experience on motorcycles- but i am going to make a point of sorting out this summer- theory test booked.

I basically followed your logic NR
Roads come to a stand still very quickly in panic; as soon as the trafic coloumn stops people abandon their cars to walk, creating a permenant road block. The M4 out of london would effectively become a car park due to idiot sheeple unless the GOV emergency planners have a means to keep the traffic flowing.
you don't see many bikes in traffic coloumns now do you!

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This beaut is for sale near here

http://www.justwings.co.uk/cms/

Im looking at getting a Yamaha virago xv 535 - good all arounder- looks pretty for non bug out use, good power to fuel consumption ratio and easy to ride with good reviews on reliability and quality.

Im getting it as first and foremost a primary mode of transport- fuel prices and tax and insurance along with upkeep make a car unresonable for me at the moment-
secondary use is a BOB (bug our bike lol) or a get home bike if i am in the city at the time working. I have zero experience on motorcycles- but i am going to make a point of sorting out this summer- theory test booked.

I basically followed your logic NR
Roads come to a stand still very quickly in panic; as soon as the trafic coloumn stops people abandon their cars to walk, creating a permenant road block. The M4 out of london would effectively become a car park due to idiot sheeple unless the GOV emergency planners have a means to keep the traffic flowing.
you don't see many bikes in traffic coloumns now do you!

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We as a couple only had a motorcycle as transport for the first 15 years of marriage, could'nt afford a car and a house, so it ended up a bike and a house, started off with 50cc honda cubs, ended up with Suzuki GS 1000 street fighter, but over the years I found the mid sized mid weight singles and twins to be the most useful and flexible.
My 250 and 400 cc Super Dreams, my GS 500, and my wonderful but bland Z 400 twin served us so well, I did over 60,000 miles on the Zed 400

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Thanks for the link NR- stunning bike, just a little out of my budget! one day i will sort one out. limited to £1300 unfortunately- there are some around for that that have seen a little wear.

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a perfect example of only one broken vehicle on one main road in god weather creating total chaos for miles, this is why with 23 million vehicles on a road system capable of managing 15 million we need to adapt oure bug out plans to mimimise our exposure to the road system, look at motorcyles, boats, bicycles, horses, planes, look at bridle ways, foot paths, farm tracks, rivers, canals, tow paths anything that reduces the risk of getting stuck on a crap British road.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/lorry-blaze-sparks-motorway-chaos-093650149.html

·
Banned
759 Posts
bugging out is one thing, for a motorcycle you dont need a "road burner" speed wont be the issue but you will need something good off road, like a trials/trail bike-something between 100cc and 250cc anything larger than that is just too heavy to cope in the mud. after TSHTF forget any kind of motorised transport, it wont take many bad winters to make the roads impassable, look at all the potholes from last winter, with nobody filling these in it wont take Mother Nature long to retake her territory. we had notice of this recently, a woodland we know of that was clear 10 years ago with no one managing it is now overgrown and inpenetratable.

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree in general with you mate, but I think 100CC bikes wont be much use to big adults like us especially if they are carrying luggage like rucksacks as well, I think 250CC is the bottom line and about 600 CC the top line, and certainly only singles and twins.

bugging out is one thing, for a motorcycle you dont need a "road burner" speed wont be the issue but you will need something good off road, like a trials/trail bike-something between 100cc and 250cc anything larger than that is just too heavy to cope in the mud. after TSHTF forget any kind of motorised transport, it wont take many bad winters to make the roads impassable, look at all the potholes from last winter, with nobody filling these in it wont take Mother Nature long to retake her territory. we had notice of this recently, a woodland we know of that was clear 10 years ago with no one managing it is now overgrown and inpenetratable.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Good point bigpaul, I am under no illusion that it would be viable for long term shtf or teotwawki, as the condition of the roads, the lack of replacement parts for the bike and lack of fuel will limit it to probably being viable for only a couple of years in such an environment. But it would still be viable imo for immediate transport, bug out/get home. And a machine with a little more clout will certainly be helpful then- as roads will be the best (and only) option for me. I don't see how I could cover 70+ miles off road through the midlands and south Wales...

·
Banned
759 Posts
I agree with you NR, but the larger heavier machines are a sod when you drop them in the mud or even on the side of a road, i dropped a GS 400( the result of a car driver nearly knocking me off in a country lane) on its side and it was a hell of a job picking it up on my own and as you know i'm not small! so i think a 250cc would be the best bet, as i say its not speed you need more toughness and reliability.

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again I agree but the ideal type machine would be the TRAIL bikes of the 70s and 80s, the 6 ft high machines that pass for trail bikes these days are lethal. and old KLR 250 , DT250, or perhaps if someone still made a 250 super motard would be ideal. The MOD is flogging off its ex army Can Am Bombardiers and 350 Harleys I think, Withams SV has em.

I agree with you NR, but the larger heavier machines are a sod when you drop them in the mud or even on the side of a road, i dropped a GS 400( the result of a car driver nearly knocking me off in a country lane) on its side and it was a hell of a job picking it up on my own and as you know i'm not small! so i think a 250cc would be the best bet, as i say its not speed you need more toughness and reliability.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts