·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Southeast Texas has three lakes:

Sam Rayburn
Dam B aka B. A. Steinhagen
Toledo bend - sits on the border between Texas and Louisiana

Then there are the people who fish the Angelina and Neches river, like myself.

Everyday I see dozens of boats on trailers, ATVs on trailers, boat launches have dozens of trucks and trailers parked there, personal water craft... etc.

People at the local Dollar Store buying buggies of food. In the food panic buying thread I posted about what looked like three generations at the store- Granny, mom and child. Looked like they had three buggies of food they were about to buy. I am going to guess mom and the kids went to grannys lake house to wait Coronavirus out.

Went out on the Angelina River fishing today, couple of the camping sites were occupied. These sites are only accessible by boat.

Article about the camping sites - https://www.survivalboards.com/2010-07-18/camping-on-the-angelina-river/

It is not like people are in groups while fishing. The nearest I came to someone was probably 100 feet? So I do not see an issue with people being out and about, as long as they do not bunch up together.

This is turning out to be a boom for the local economy that is getting tax dollars from the extra traffic.

Anyone else live near lakes? How is your traffic? The parks are closed so people can not go there. I am going to guess a lot of the people are staying with family or friends.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same scene here on Lake Martin Alabama. I get uneasy if I have to go to a local store because so many of the cars in the parking lot are from out of state. Public boat landings are swamped. Strangers even hogging our private community landing and docks despite signs and cameras.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Lakes region in NH, about 1.5 hrs where I live in southern NH, is booming (population wise, not necessarily economy wise). The summer folks have already moved up from surrounding states. My folks moved to the lakes region permanently a few years ago. They said it's significantly busier than normal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kev, the neighbors are at Sam Rayburn now. They have been up there since the middle of February. She has an older mother so they brought her up there.

And of course they are fishing twice a day.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,238 Posts
Makes me wonder how long it will be before the lakes are over fished and no longer a viable source of food...

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,238 Posts
Kev, while you were out did you see or hear of any difference in the wild hog population?

Just wondering how that will affect crops and things with fewer people out hunting them due to staying indoors.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,794 Posts
IF the weather would permit us to get more done on the gardens, we'd be at Ky Or Barkley doing some catfishing LOL

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Kev

You've gone from "people from out of state bringing in disease and buying our supplies: The Golden Horde!" to "These fine upstanding visitors are giving a major tax boost to the local economy!" You keep talking about going to stores for trivial or no reasons, sometimes without PPE. Although the creator of this board, you don't seem to be taking this pandemic very seriously.

Are you by chance trolling us?

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
CAW!

Kev

You've gone from "people from out of state bringing in disease and buying our supplies: The Golden Horde!" to "These fine upstanding visitors are giving a major tax boost to the local economy!" You keep talking about going to stores for trivial or no reasons, sometimes without PPE. Although the creator of this board, you don't seem to be taking this pandemic very seriously.

Are you by chance trolling us?

probably :taped:

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
When I was a teenager the Dayton Outlaws MC had thier clubhouse on the edge of town, across a side street from a papermill. When one of thier lezders, Fat Louie, died my hometwn was invaded by hundreds of bikers in thier colors to pay thier respects. Literally, license plates from all over the country....people panicked. Our mayor asked for the NG. Then they started spending like crazy. Day became night, they teased us locals, none of it serious. The merchants were in mourning when it ended. Even the FBI van left.

This is a similar moment....

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kev, while you were out did you see or hear of any difference in the wild hog population?

Just wondering how that will affect crops and things with fewer people out hunting them due to staying indoors.
From what I am seeing on facebook, people are pig hunting as usual. Every couple of days I see people with a wild pig harvest.

Few days ago I found some pig tracks at the back of the farm. They are not in the garden yet.

Typically, the pigs roam from feeder to feeder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts