Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..great article from Time... on Sony Hack...

Article talk about 4 things to do:
  • Never email passwords
  • Never open suspicious links
  • Encrypt your most sensitive data
  • Make sure you got an ace security team (if you are a household ensure you wi-fi is protected)

Read entire article here.
http://time.com/3639907/sony-hack-data-security/

Stay safe...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok, at the risk of sounding dumb...

What does that mean to not email passwords? I mean, I get it means not email them, but why are people doing that? They're emailing it to other people? I'm sincerely confused. I've never emailed my passwords and don't understand why I would.

As for the encrypting thing, I don't have any idea how that would be done. I'm not really a computer person.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
Ok, at the risk of sounding dumb...

What does that mean to not email passwords? I mean, I get it means not email them, but why are people doing that? They're emailing it to other people? I'm sincerely confused. I've never emailed my passwords and don't understand why I would.

As for the encrypting thing, I don't have any idea how that would be done. I'm not really a computer person.
From time to time spam?hacking?phishing? emails are sent to people telling them their credit card is being used/bank account is being emptied/some other wild idea and in order to stop it, the person receiving the email needs to send them their user name and password for that account.

Believe it or not, people actually fall for it from time to time. Most of us keep a spam filter on our email and never or rarely see these type emails, but the people who are prone to fall for it are also often the ones who do not know enough to set up a spam folder for their email.

·
Don't start no mess
3,786 Posts
Sometimes it goes the opposite way... other people email your password.

If you forget your login credentials on an online shopping site or on a forum, you can check a little box saying you have forgotten your password and they will email it to you. Not all the time, though. Some sites simply email you a link which allows you to change your password, but that's not much different. If someone has hacked your email account, they can certainly use that sent link to create their own new password, effectively locking you out.

Registration processes often email a new member a temporary password, which the member may not change right away, depending on his or her level of security diligence. You can see how this is easily exploited as well.

If you ask me, webmasters of many online sites are just as guilty of this password emailing issue as is the home user.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Email your false passwords to accounts you do not have.

It keeps data mining computers busy profiling...

and messes up their file on you.

Knowing they are collecting all your data means giving them something to chew on.

Make it look like your are publicly educated, democrat, sick, and on the government take and you will get a better score.

·
Don't start no mess
3,786 Posts
Never open suspicious links
Relying upon your own instincts to decide whether or not a link is suspicious can lead to disaster. Social engineering tactics used by blackhats are famous for making links appear legit. A better strategy is to run your browser sandboxed, so that if malware is inadvertently downloaded and executed, it is contained and will not affect the operating system.

There are also a bunch of very good reputation analysis tools available that will advise users on the fly as to the legitimacy of a given website. Some block bad sites, some simply trigger a pop up warning about the site. You can go so far as to submit any link you are questioning to a site that will analyze it for you and issue a report, in less than a minute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.