Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Tree Hugger
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I've seen posts here about Nettle, a volunteer plant with so much potential, but nothing on the seed. Last year, I was reading an article by Susun Weed (a pretty well known herbalist) and she briefly mentioned nettle seed. I was intrigued and did some more research.

My research showed that nettle seed is an adaptogen, which means it strengthens the adrenals, an important function in helping us deal with day-to-day stress. Nettle seeds also aid kidney function (this is the most documented effect of the herb), actually restoring the kidneys. There are studies where nettle seed is proving to be very helpful with people in advanced stages of kidney disease.

For me, the most practical application boiled down to three things: energy, nails and hair (yes, it's a female thing, I'm sure!)

Some people have reported that taking nettle seed late in the day has kept them awake at night. I started a regimen of nettle seed and found myself hauling logs even when my usually non-stop husband was lagging.

For a good year or so, I'd been struggling with my nails being brittle and peeling off in layers. Nothing I tried helped. About 3 weeks after starting the daily nettle seed, I went to cut my nails and was surprised to find them feeling really hard and healthy.... no peeling or breaking! This is particularly remarkable because my hands are in soil for much of the day. My lacklustre hair was also sleeker and stronger.

Harvesting nettle seed wasn't hard. I picked the top third of the plant stalk with its heavy clusters of seeds (note: be a responsible wild harvester and pick only 10% of a patch). I took my paper bags home and hung the stalks to dry. When they were dry, I sat for an evening and first pulled the leaves off for my nettle tea, then grabbing the stalk, I pulled the seed into a separate bowl. It's worth noting that for picking and processing nettle, a regular pair of rubber kitchen gloves works like a charm!

Dosage: You can take up to a teaspoon daily, but just a 1/4 teaspoon worked fine for me. I sprinkled it over whatever I had for breakfast. I've seen that some people grind it with salt and use it as a seasoning. That would work too.

·
357 Posts
Thanks for your post. I have read about Nettle several times here on this forum. I don't think that I have ever seen it in person.

Any chance you would post a picture or two of the nettle you have harvested, and some of the separated nettle seeds?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts