Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I just bought a small inexpensive netbook with high battery life that will live in my car trunk (pelican case) for use at work and when traveling. In a vehicle bug-out it will be there anyway, so I am populating it with files.

My favorite books, music and family pictures are already there. Obviously no personal/financial info in case of loss/theft. Personal info; insurance policies/birth certificates etc lives on a flash drive in the fireproof safe.

I have downloaded classic books, survival files, even a few kids movies. I am looking for recomendations for stuff to put in it. I currently have 180 Gigs available.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone got a copy of Atlas Shrugged?

Anyone got a link for city/road/highway maps or a world atlas for free download?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would buy the largest hard drive that you can fit in it, SSD if you can afford it. Then I would get a small solar charger that is capable of charging it. Then you should copy every prep file you can get your hands on. There was a website posted here a few months back that had gobs and gobs of useful files.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh and buy a second hand ToughBook if you want to keep it in one piece. Netbooks are built by the lowest bidder. Agree on SSD - no mechanical components to go wrong then.

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
If you're looking for books, see if your ISP provides access to an NNTP server. This is the usenet that has been around longer than the WWW. There's binary newsgroups that currently have more books than you could ever want. Technical manuals, cookbooks, fiction, just about anything that would interest someone.

If your ISP doesn't provide access, there are premium servers you could subscribe to. I currently use Forteinc's APN server. www.forteinc.com. Their Agent newsgroup reader is one of the best available as well.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would buy the largest hard drive that you can fit in it, SSD if you can afford it. Then I would get a small solar charger that is capable of charging it. Then you should copy every prep file you can get your hands on. There was a website posted here a few months back that had gobs and gobs of useful files.
Thanks, actually researching chargers. If I could design a laptop, it would include a built-in solar panel AS the top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts