Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used NEF single shot 12ga with a 28" barrel from the local pawn shop for $50. Looks like it was fired twice. Came with a slip-on recoil pad too. I already own a single .410 from the 1920's that fires great. I figure if, or when, it all goes to hell, these single shots will be my go to guns. The 2 shot guns and my .22 lr revolver, that is. The .410 for my wife or kids and the 12 for me. Any thoughts slings for them?? I've seen people make them out of paracord, but I've never tried it. I figure I will put a side saddle on them too. Maybe mix up the rounds a bit. Bird shot, 00, slug... etc. Thanks- CO

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
I just picked up a sling at my local army surplus store for $2.99. If your shotgun is lacking the hardware you can drill the stock for a stud and use a barrel clamp up front. Or just drill the furniture up front for a stud.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
get a 12 for you and the wife. if you only have 1 shot make it COUNT. also then you share common ammo. you can cut the barrels down to like 19" and have a nice compact little cannon.

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
Thanks BW- I'm gonna head to my local Army / Navy and see what they have. Then I guess it's off to the gun store to pay premium for something.
Can't tell ya what Boulder has for surplus, but if you wait until the next time you're in Denver try the one off Broadway and 285. You should be able to find a basic military sling for a few bucks there. Or if you ever make it up North, try Jax in Loveland or Fort Collins. That's where I get em for $2.99

https://secure.armysurplusforless.com/

Here's a good site for parachord weaving. http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I would leave the barrels intact. Those full chokes will help put food on the table.

the forends on the NEF guns are easy to mount swivels too. Makes a good solid mount. You can get a set at any Wallmart or gun shop.

The link to stormdrane's spot is the best available. I braid slings from paracord and you normally get about 50-60 feet of cord into the sling. That is a lot of emergency line for shelters, snares lashings.

Do not forget that the butt stock already has a big hole running from one end to the other. You can hog it out a bit more and store matches, bic lighter, small pocket knife, fish hooks. Swap the buttplate screws for bigger ones with slots a coin, shell rim or back of a knife blade will fit. You can also hog some room under the forend beneath the barrel channel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.