Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked, in one form or another,
before but I just need to know if the sense of foreboding I've been
feeling over the past year or so is reasonable and shared by many...or if this hunch is unfounded.
I've noticed the increase in natural disasters, the financial decline
of whole countries (Greece), threats of war, and, even our Red Cross
is stepping up their "Be Prepared" ads.
I live in an area that doesn't get much in the way of natural disasters, so prepping here is generally looked upon as kind of kooky. A few of my kids make jokes about my prepping.

Just for the record, I don't really buy into the 2012 stuff.

Are we really heading into something fairly serious, whether it be
war, financial collapse, or something else? If not, why do I get the feeling that our world is in for something fairly bad?

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Personally I think that many people realize that FEMA just cannot handle a major relief effort in the way of a natural disaster. And many of us have parents and/or grandparents that lived thru the Great Depression and remember hearing stories about those 'lean times' of not having enough to eat, no lights, no heat, etc..

Are we heading for something bad? I hope not....but my gut tells me so, regardless as its been said countless times on here about many things...."better to have it and not need it, than not have and need it."

Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Heatherli, I share your sense of dread. There is a lot of uncertainty on all the alters you listed. I think that any responsible person should feel a sense of urgency when there are so many odd things converging as they seem to be now. There is nothing "kooky" about wanting to be self sufficient and not be a burden to the government or your neighbors or your family.

I for one think it is wise to prepare and hope we never need the preps. I would rather be labeled crazy but be ready, than regret not having what I need to care for my family when circumstances dictate. Follow your heart, keep perspective, and if you feel driven to put up some basic resources by all means don't let the critics put you off.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
We've discussed this very thing before. Many folks mentioned having a sense of dread. I feel it myself. I've always been aware of potential problems, but never felt like any of them were immediately pressing. I was mostly preparing "just in case". But I share that same sense of dread, and most of all, of urgency.

I think a lot of it does come from all the things that have been happening in recent years. We've seen natural disaster after natural disaster. We've seen major problems happen to other countries. But I think a lot of it comes from the fact that our great country is having it's own major problems. We always seemed to think we were above such a thing. It's a sense of vulnerability, of being like the other countries out there that have experienced major crisis. Once that feeling of invulnerability went away, I think it was replaced by insecurity, at least with me.

Also, I have never seen a time when so many possible risk factors were present all at the same time. Everything from our looming financial crisis, to being terrorists number one target. Plus Katrina and several other hurricanes and a major earthquake still being fresh in our memories.

·
Tales of a Scorched Earth
557 Posts
I'm sure this question has been asked, in one form or another,
before but I just need to know if the sense of foreboding I've been
feeling over the past year or so is reasonable and shared by many...or if this hunch is unfounded.
I've noticed the increase in natural disasters, the financial decline
of whole countries (Greece), threats of war, and, even our Red Cross
is stepping up their "Be Prepared" ads.
I live in an area that doesn't get much in the way of natural disasters, so prepping here is generally looked upon as kind of kooky. A few of my kids make jokes about my prepping.

Just for the record, I don't really buy into the 2012 stuff.

Are we really heading into something fairly serious, whether it be
war, financial collapse, or something else? If not, why do I get the feeling that our world is in for something fairly bad?
Even without natural disasters, I believe we are heading to something happening..what area do you live? I would bet all areas have some sort of potential for some sort of natural issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also have had the sense of dread lately, as a result I have improved my ability to weather some tough times if needed.

Part of me also realizes a lot of this dread is probably brought on by all the access we have to news and info, in the past we didn't always know what was happening everywhere else. With cable news and internet available 24/7 it can be hard not to worry yourself to death.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I also feel the same sense of dread, and the urgency. I feel as though we are being drawn down a centrifuge, faster and faster.

While I am certain things are 'about to happen' and am often glad I have that 'intuitive' sense so I can do at least something to 'prepare' for whatever form it may take, some days I almost wish I had less access to information so I could not see the coming of the great decline so easily.

I am sure I would rest more easily at night without being able to piece together the 'whole' from the bits that are hurtled at my brain daily, using them to arrive at the conclusions I do ... but then the question arises .. would I rather be a dumb bird with my head in the sand, blissfully unaware to the end, or an 'informed' watcher worried by what is now seeming inevitable? I have chosen the latter option despite the toll it can extract from me. I prefer to have a chance to survive to help better and/or revive the world after SHTF ... if indeed what we all seem to feel does come to fruition. If nothing happens ... I will also be fine with that and still happy I took the steps I did.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,780 Posts
My dread comes and goes, but if I watch the international news too much then it really ramps up. It finally got so bad that I have restricted my news watching to a couple of times a week (except like now when the weather is being nuts -- you gotta love Oklahoma weather! LOL) and focus more on my preps. I had a lot of loose ends that needed to be tied up. Since I quit worrying about what "might" happen or what "looks" like is gonna happen and started being more pro-active in moving toward self-sufficiency I am a much, much calmer person. It is a lot easier to stay focused on my ultimate goals if I am not fretting out about the things that I have no control over anyway.

I am pretty sure my efforts have been noticed -- the hubby (who got me into prepping in the first place) says he has created a monster and the kids at the local grocery store where I shop the sales every week just smile and wink at me when they see me with sale items only (and a lot of them!). I cannot remember the last time I bought anything less than a case of any particular canned good.

In fact, a couple of them have told me they have gone home and told their folks (lots of high school kids working summer jobs) what I am doing and they are trying it too. I didn't want anyone to know I am prepping hard so I just told them that I dropped $1000 bucks on groceries one month and got stocked up on everything we eat so now all I have to do is shop the sales to restock my cabinet. (I was very careful to say CABINET -- singular -- NOT CABINETS -- like an entire spare bedroom full of shelving plural ... LOL).

I have actually seen a couple of them getting cases of canned goods now instead of just a can or two at the end of their shift. It is kinda gratifying ... :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada...we get the occasional thunderstorm and some drought, but nothing major.

I appreciate all the replies....really...I was beginning to think I was as strange as a few of my kids think I am. LOL The "feeling" seems to get more urgent with each passing day. I guess I read the news too much but with all the tension in the Middle East and all the plane crashes, natural disasters, financial collapses, etc,..., it does get to be a bit much.
It's funny, but even my husband (who doesn't think anything is going to happen at all) has been picking up some extra canned stuff when we shop for groceries...and my 87 year old father advised me seriously to start stocking up canned goods. My father is one of these optimistic, laid back, "everything is ok" kind of guys and HE is telling me to stock up? That blew me away.

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
In all likelyhood we will see a major down turn in all the world markets. Thats why being prepared in a must. Also STOP watching so much news, not like your going to change anything. Plant a garden,store non-hybred seeds,plant a fruit tree.Get your family ready just in case.:thumb:

·
Practical Preparations
145 Posts
Keeping in mind all the things you mentioned, I'm not sure if I feel a sense of "dread" so much, but I definitely would not be surprised to see SOMETHING (what, I don't know) happen on a large scale any time now. I think the large amount of natural disasters that have been happening in increasing numbers around the world is what's got me thinking. I'm not sure if it's "the start of the end of the world" so much as it is something else, I just don't know what. I'm also not sure if the sticky situations that some of the world's super-powers have put themselves in is related to whatever might happen, or if it's just a coincidence that the world is attempting to implode in on itself AND every government in the world is being retarded at the same time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In all likelyhood we will see a major down turn in all the world markets. Thats why being prepared in a must. Also STOP watching so much news, not like your going to change anything. Plant a garden,store non-hybred seeds,plant a fruit tree.Get your family ready just in case.:thumb:
Actually, I've been thinking about doing just that and am open to suggestions on which vegetables would grow well in fairly dry windy territory such as ours here. Fruit trees don't grow very well here...except for crabapple trees...they seem to do quite well.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

·
Tales of a Scorched Earth
557 Posts
I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada...we get the occasional thunderstorm and some drought, but nothing major.

I appreciate all the replies....really...I was beginning to think I was as strange as a few of my kids think I am. LOL The "feeling" seems to get more urgent with each passing day. I guess I read the news too much but with all the tension in the Middle East and all the plane crashes, natural disasters, financial collapses, etc,..., it does get to be a bit much.
It's funny, but even my husband (who doesn't think anything is going to happen at all) has been picking up some extra canned stuff when we shop for groceries...and my 87 year old father advised me seriously to start stocking up canned goods. My father is one of these optimistic, laid back, "everything is ok" kind of guys and HE is telling me to stock up? That blew me away.
Doesn't it get cold there? Maybe a massive blizzard? There are always something that you need to prepare for.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
I attribute the frequency/intensity of 'natural disasters' to natural cycles and discount them when it comes to my sense of dread. If the whole world is due to blow up, there is nothing I can do so why worry too much about that. If my area suddenly becomes prey to tornados on a daily basis, I suppose I might start wondering if the natural life of earth is just about to come to an end .. but .. other than prepping slightly differently (by caching more outdoors perhaps), I don't know what else I would change or what else I could do.

The 'political/economic' news stuff though .. very different in my estimation. I listen more these days in the hope that I will be able to 'predict' whatever is coming early enough that I can make reasonable decisions before the masses get the news. Not much else I can do about that either mind you .. but it gives me a feeling of some security perhaps, in a world which seems full of mayhem.

·
Big Member
105 Posts
Living in SoCal, I'm just getting downright paranoid that everything has pretty much maintained a status quo for the last 15~ years. No big earthquakes, no riots, the occasional fire, and no terror threats (that we know of).

Couple that with our continually rising unemployment, a transportation system that would easily break down if one or two links took a big hit, a bankrupt city and no real resources in the immediate area.. well, we could be up a creek very quickly.

It's not dread, it's just statistically a little more probable for something to strike in the near future. I hope those stars do not align, but I'm also not getting caught with my pants down if they do.

·
Apostle to the Orthodox
393 Posts
You know, "God is no respecter of persons", and "He makes the rain fall on the just and the unjust alike." God's Holy Spirit, which some refer to as "intuition" or "gut instinct", is available to everyone all the time. And it doesn't care what you call it, what religious system you buy into, or whether you go to church. The information that is in the Mind of God is available to everyone all the time.

Jesus said, "Allow the little children to come unto me, for to such as these belongs the Kingdom of Heaven." It wasn't because they were sweet and innocent, because children are the most self-absorbed, self-important people on Earth. It's because they're mentally open, intellectually honest, and flexible. People who have these characteristics are open to communication from the Mind of God.

Jesus also said, "No sign shall be given to this world of men except the sign of Jonah." The point, as I read it, is that the Ninevites were approached by a foreigner stinking of fish-guts who told them they'd been a bunch of evil bastards, and that they'd better get straight right quick, or else God was going to level their city with them in it. The Ninevites 1) heard the truth regardless of the source, 2) recognized it for what it was, and 3) acted on it immediately.

I wouldn't use the word, "dread", myself, or even "foreboding". "Apprehension", maybe, since that has to do with understanding what's going on, rather than implications of fear. Daddy's in charge and he knows what he's doing. And to those who are mentally open, intellectually honest, and flexible, who hear the truth, recognize it for what it is, and act on it without delay, well, they're likely to survive.

I was told some years back that Daddy was bringing people to this continent from all over the world, so there would be sufficient genetic mixture that no matter what happened, some would have the right characteristics for survivability.

I first learned about 2012 before I was seven, and I've gotten more information about it over time. But one thing is sure in my mind: it's not the "end of the world", and it's not "the apocalypse" (a pet peeve of mine, using the word, "apocalypse" to mean "big disaster", because what it actually means is, "revelation"). There will be serious social dislocation, and that's the best way I can phrase it. But it's not going to be slam-bang, all at once. The environmental disasters are going to become more and more frequent, and overtax our ability to cope. But things will get better, later.

All you have to do is to live through it and contribute to the gene pool. Oh, and one other thing - make sure you're on land that is at least 450 feet above sea level as it was in 1999-2000. And don't go to Europe.

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
I think you will find most of us here on the forum have the same pit in your stomach dread feeling you have, mostly the reason many of us are here. My boyfriend and I just talked about this last night, and like I told him I just have this sinking feeling something bads comming. Do I know for sure? Heck no I'm not a psychic and neither is anyone who tells you nothings going to happen. Truth of the matter is noone knows for sure what may or may not be on the horizon but I for one sleep alot better after having spent the last year doing some serious prepping. All one has to do is turn on the tv and watch in horror at all the natural disasters, countries going broke, people in third world countries are dieing of starvation and curable diseases, politicians and our government are robbing us blind while they live in the lap of luxury all the while unemployment has reached sky high numbers, banks are still failing, the housing market is still in the pot, states are going broke, and have you even notioced how horrible we as a human race have become to be towards each other? It's enough to make a grown woman sit down and cry. However myself and you and all the others on this forum have made concious decisions to do what we can to be prepared and that my friend is simply beautiful.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't know how you guys can go through your daily routine with some constant "sense of dread". Yikes.

Live your lives, people. Go on vacation once or twice without freaking out about how to pack your GHB or whether or not you'll be able to get your MREs on the plane.

Go see a movie.

Step outside and just enjoy the sunshine.

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
I'm mildly interested but not very worried about the future. For all my life I have lived a simple & frugal rural life, worked many long hours to buy myself the things I needed. I've always thought it was more important how long you can make your vehicles last rather than how new they are. Simple has always been better in my view. I enjoy watching the world through my satellite dishes for TV & internet access but find more enjoyment turning them off!

I think the current problems are a major turning point for my broke State (CA) this country and the world but I think it is long overdue. I always wondered what would happen to those that spent more than they could repay,wanted everything now & never saved anything. I'm just beginning to find out and I imagine they will be shocked at the new reality.

For decades I have built up all the stores needed to to survive for years. By pure luck and my favorite pass time (looking for gold)I've found a grand woman that brought bees into our little world and is thrilled when she gets a thrift store bargain. She puts up with my addiction to the stock market while she creates with her sewing machine.

I think in days like these there comes a time that everyone needs to learn to turn it all off. You can only prepare yourself for hard times so much. But what good does it all do if you can't enjoy your world and forget "the other world"?

Red
Ms Red

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.