Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
There is no sequel
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not an EMT - I only have my advanced first aid certificate plus read a lot on the subject - but I have a reasonable amount of first aid gear (tho nowhere near as much as some of you guys) that I'm trying to find the right pouch for.

Just to see how large a pouch I need I put it in a Maxpedition Jeroboam with a wee bit of room to spare but I need something flatter so I can put it in a backpack or my Maxpedition Sitka, which means it can be no thicker than 3". Length should be around 9" to fit a SAM splint and width around 5".

I did use a single-compartment pouch for a little while but it's annoyingly messy when trying to dig through it to find stuff when crouched on the trail. With my EDC bag I split my first aid gear over several pouches but I'd prefer to keep it all together.

I have downsized the kit to fit in an FR-1 pouch but I found that equally annoying - so some sort of fold-out / removable pouch inside would be preferable to buttloads of elastic straps.

So looking for 1 to 3 pouches for adhesive, adherent & non-adhesive dressings, gauze, antiseptic wipes, gloves, SAM splints, medications, hardware, sling, a selection of bandages, IBD, QuikClot, burn dressings & gel, ice packs, anti-itch cream, vasoline, eye bath, saline, sutures, CAT etc.

To re-iterate, 9" long, 3" deep and around 5" wide, the width being the most flexible dimension.

The best candidate I've found so far is this one from Condor.

Cheers, :thumb:

·
There is no sequel
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Watchin & waiting
134 Posts
I was looking at your list of "stuff" for your kit and have a couple of question for you. What is the purpose of your kit? Is it a blow out kit that is with your bug out bag; or is your long term kit? You talk about sutures, do you have the needle drivers and forceps necessary to make them work and more importantly do you have the knowledge and skill to actually perform a suture? I've been trained (Navy Corpsman) and without practice they aren't as easy to do as people think. PLUS there are all kinds of "rules" about when to close a wound and when not to.

As a practicing Paramedic I can tell you for a fact, loss the burn gel! Anything that you put on a burn (other then 1st degree) you have to scrub off later. If you want some Aloe Vera with Lidocaine for sunburn relief then that's cool but if your kit is a blow out kit, then I'm not sure that its worth the weight.

You address anti-itch cream, what about antibiotic cream? I would rather be itchy then catch an infection ESPECIALLY when I can't just run to the ER and get antibiotics.

Now back to your actual question. One of the pouches that I use is the: http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/pouches/medical-pouch.html

and I also use the http://www.tacgearstore.com/condor-modular-away-pouch-multicam-p-283.html

I have this with my BOB : http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=16462&TabID=548
Its the same style as I used while on active duty and it works ok for slightly larger kit.

For my dedicated medical ruck I use: http://londonbridgetrading.com/m1we...UniqueID=E14C05EE-2E5B-454C-933B-3D0BB0E5CC85

Then of course is my bug in kit at the house and that lives in several large tubs.

The point that I'm trying to make is that it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your kit and the skills that you have to make use of it. I could stock a neurosurgery kit but I wouldn't know what to do with it.

However I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so maybe I should go get that neurosurgery kit.... :)

·
Bushwacker
1,757 Posts
I've kept my smaller first aid kit in a fanny pack for years. Easy to carry and I can just clip it on to a backpack if I need to. Multiple pouches to carry it in, fairly easy to organise. Also all gussied up with first aid badges.

·
There is no sequel
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the purpose of your kit? Is it a blow out kit that is with your bug out bag; or is your long term kit?
It's primarily my outdoors/hiking kit so I'm planning for things like minor scratches through to twisted ankles, blade injuries, fractures, headaches etc and treating hiking companions or others I come across, so the CPR shield isn't for me to use on myself :) I also carry it around in my EDC kit ... would have come in real handy back during the big earthquake here in February - although I wasn't trained back then (but it was the reason I went and got training). I should probably have separate hiking & EDC first aid kits but I'd prefer just to have the one.

You talk about sutures, do you have the needle drivers and forceps necessary to make them work and more importantly do you have the knowledge and skill to actually perform a suture?
Sorry, adhesive sutures - not needle-and-thread kind. And yes I know when not to use them - i.e. don't if possible :)

As a practicing Paramedic I can tell you for a fact, loss the burn gel!
Ok, thanks. It's just a small sachet - thought I'd get it and see if it works :) I'd probably remove it before going hiking - no place for it on the trail.

You address anti-itch cream, what about antibiotic cream? I would rather be itchy then catch an infection ESPECIALLY when I can't just run to the ER and get antibiotics.
Yep, Neosporin.

Thanks for the questions and the pouch suggestions :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts