Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's so much conflicting data out there. Some say you need a main battle rifle, others say shotgun, some say bolt action rifle.

What should I get? I want to start hunting this year, deer. Learn how to process them myself and tan the hides. So a bolt action is definitely on the list for that.

A shotgun for home defense, 12gauge.

What about pistols? What caliber? Revolvers or semi-automatics?

Complete gun newb.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
There's so much conflicting data out there. Some say you need a main battle rifle, others say shotgun, some say bolt action rifle.

What should I get? I want to start hunting this year, deer. Learn how to process them myself and tan the hides. So a bolt action is definitely on the list for that.

Complete gun newb.
Get a Remington SPS in 308 great deer rifle and the prefered sniper rifle for some police & military.
I like a cheap 12ga Mossberg for home defence
I like a 9mm Beretta easy to control and will stop everybody but superman.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree with tenfeathers that the calibers will do what you need them to do...although there are a variety of choices in each. And everyone needs 22lr.

The first question is how much can you afford to invest into firearms in the near future? There are a TON of options, but there are of course ways you can have a versatile firearm with bang for your buck.

Bolt Gun .308 - you can get a Marlin XS7, Stevens 200 or Savage Edge .308 bolt gun for in the $300-$400 neighborhood that will be everything you need in a deer or 600 yard rifle. Or you can spend more.

You could also make do with a Mosin Nagant and much cheaper 7.62x54R. But it wont be quite as accurate or easily scoped as a modern .308 bolt gun, but have plenty of power and be capable of getting the job done as far as you can see.

12 Gauge Pump Shotgun - Remington, Mossberg, NEF. Winchester. Its hard to mess up a pump shotgun. NEF Pardners can be had new for around $200 all day and are rugged reliable and share most parts with the Remington 870.

Pistol - 9mm and 38 special are imo the minimum calibers you should invest in for defensive/shtf sidearms. Either is good enough to get the job done. Ultimately it should come down to semi auto or revolver. In my opinion 9mm gives you an advantage in capacity and speed of reload,...ammo is cheaper and more readily available, and semi auto's are generally easier to learn to shoot weel. There are extremely reliable semi automatic firearms on the market. Ruger P series, Glock, XD- Springfield, M&P-Smith and Wesson, Beretta/Stoeger, etc. I'd go with a proven weapon that has been on the market for awhile and proven reliable. Glocks have an advantage in that you can order and keep on hand any part you possibly need to repair the gun for cheap, and they are easy to work on and maintain, tehy are simple to learn and operate, and somewhat weather and element resistant.

22lr - Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60.

Fighting rifle - If you feel you need a fighting rifle. You can go .308 if you can afford to feed and train with a semi auto in that caliber. FAL, Cetme, Saiga, M1A/M14, PTR91. Various choices. Or you can go 223/556 and get yourself an AR-15, Mini-14, Galil.
Or you can go with Russian calibers and get an AK variant in 5.56x39 or 7.62x39 for more bang for your buck.

Whatever you decide, make sure you can afford to stock up on ammo and train with your defensive and fighting weapons.

Alternatively, you can very well take deer consistently with 7.62x39 in an SKS, Saiga or AK, which can all be scoped and will be good deer and brush rifles out to about 200 yards or so.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Two things if you're getting started as a noob:

1. Go take a firearms basics class. This will give you a level basis to start from. Training and practice are vastly more important than the decision on which firearm.

2. What do you need it for? That makes a BIG difference.

Daily self defense/backup: handgun
Pest control/varmint hunting/practice: 22 rifle
Large game hunting/long range defense*: bolt action rifle with scope
Bird or small game hunting/home defense: shotgun
Short-medium range defense*/some hunting: "battle" rifle

*Generally a bad idea to rely on this, because you're up ****-creek if you get into a firefight.

Everything depends on the intended use, what you're comfortable with, and what's available in your price range. It's not really conflicting data so much as alternate opinions and niche uses.

I 100% agree on the .22LR for everyone. They're great practice, cheap, and have tons of utility.

Personally, a very well-rounded stable would include a handgun (any caliber/gun you can shoot well and afford to practice regularly with, preferably 9mm/.38 or bigger), a shotgun (12ga or 20 ga, anything with a magazine tube), and a rifle (.30 cal and semi-auto preferred). With three guns you can, in theory, carry normally when you're not expecting trouble, hunt birds and small game, hunt medium and large game, and engage at a distance if the need arises. My "basic set" is a .40 SIG P229, 12ga Remington 870, and an AR-15 in .223. I deviated from the preferred 30cal rifle because I also have a .30 bolt-action for hunting larger game, but what works for me won't necessarily work for you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just my 2 cents... Alot plays into what you have for cash to work with!!!! If your tight on cash them old mausers at big 5 are cheap and proven as well as the ammo.... A good 12 gauge pump shotgun never hurts (prefer Remington, but mosseburg will do), but can pick up a single shot for around $100.... Side arm is really a preference but Ruger 85, 89 and 94's are proven dependable and can be used as a club, LOL....

I prefer to have what caliber's the military and local "leo's" carry:

45 acp, 40 s&w, 9mm
.22 lr pistol and rifle

If crap ever does hit the fan at least your weapon cals will relate in the most common ammo being used....

·
Registered
440 Posts

Complete gun newb.
Get one each, then buy 1000 rounds ammo for each, then repeat.

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Here's my take - It's a bit of overkill, but I like guns.. :D:

Long guns:

Shotgun - hunting, crowd control
.22 rifle - small game, pest control, limited defense
Battle rifle - getting you out of trouble
Hunting rifle - big game

Handguns:
.22 - practice, pest control, small game
Hi cap full size auto - home defense
compact carry auto - concealment around town
compact revolver - concealment, great for novices

If I had to choose only one, it would be the shotgun.
If I had 2 to choose from: - add the compact carry auto
3: - add .22 rifle
4: - add battle rifle
5: - add a revolver

You can get away with using your battle rifle for big game if the caliber is sufficient.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
I tend to believe that all of us should own and know how to shoot 3 different kinds of firearms.

1. The first firearm people should have is a good rifle of some sort for personal defense and shooting wild game like deer and feral hogs. So this means something in the line of a 7.62 X 39 rifle for the most part as a minimum. A good 7.62 NATO caliber rifle (.308 Winchester parallel for the military) is another good performer too. This rifle also needs to have a scope or red dot mounted on top of it to help the shooter be a better shot.

2. The second firearm I think people should own is a medium or big bore pistol. The pistol is used as a back-up to a rifle or shotgun. It is also used for close range personal protection. Pistols are weak in effectiveness when compared to rifles and shotguns so that is why they get used as a secondary firearm.

3. The last or third firearm a person should have and know how to use is a good shotgun. Either a 12 gauge or 20 gauge shotgun, set up in the tactical form, is good for close range personal defense. A normal shotgun is good for bring in small game like rabbits, squirrels and birds and hunting other game. If you shoot slugs from a hunting shotgun you can also being in deer and wild pigs too.

So with these three kinds of guns you pretty much cover most of your shooting needs if not all of them. And don't forget the extra gear you may need. If you get a handgun you may need a holster and reloading devices, either speedloaders or magazines, to make it viable and more useful. With rifles you will need extra magazines and/or clips for your choice of boomstick.

·
Scout
1,464 Posts
I would be sure to keep a .223/556 gun of sone type around just in case, I mean in the future the new currency might juse be military ammo...Just saying......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts