Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, here's the situation.

I work full time for Sam's Club and go to school full time, my wife just graduated RN school and passed her boards.

She is starting her new job next week and we will have a surplus of at least $1,400 a month.

I need your advice on where to go with preps.

I currently have:

6 months food for the two of us

An AK, several 22's, a 9mm pistol with at least 600 rounds for each calibre, more for the rifles.

A VERY nicely stocked first aid kit(lots of her hospital goodies)

2 decent BOB's (hers needs work)

10 gal fuel w/stabil backup

Approx $5800 in non mortgage debt.

Question: Where should I go with the extra cash? We could pay off the debt a little after Christmas if we really focused, but I would really like to get another cheap AK and 9mm, plus get our food stores to 1 year and get about 40 gal of fuel stored up.

I would also like to purchase plenty of misc. stuff like ammo(only use 3 dif types), camping gear, tons of extra dog food, and some real long term food stuffs(such as MRE's or Mountain House).

Which direction should I go? Your advice is appreciated. :thumb:

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Pay a little extra each payment you have, clear your debt. This will give you extra to use later. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape as it is, don't see a generator or comm gear listed. 10 gal. of gas ain't gonna last too long, if you have a good place to bug out to or in, might check with a Farm Supply and check on a 500 gal. tank, fill as possible (10 gal. at a time). Good luck

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Ok folks, here's the situation.

I work full time for Sam's Club and go to school full time, my wife just graduated RN school and passed her boards.

She is starting her new job next week and we will have a surplus of at least $1,400 a month.

I need your advice on where to go with preps.

I currently have:

6 months food for the two of us

An AK, several 22's, a 9mm pistol with at least 600 rounds for each calibre, more for the rifles.

A VERY nicely stocked first aid kit(lots of her hospital goodies)

2 decent BOB's (hers needs work)

10 gal fuel w/stabil backup

Approx $5800 in non mortgage debt.

Question: Where should I go with the extra cash? We could pay off the debt a little after Christmas if we really focused, but I would really like to get another cheap AK and 9mm, plus get our food stores to 1 year and get about 40 gal of fuel stored up.

I would also like to purchase plenty of misc. stuff like ammo(only use 3 dif types), camping gear, tons of extra dog food, and some real long term food stuffs(such as MRE's or Mountain House).

Which direction should I go? Your advice is appreciated. :thumb:
Brother, you don't need advice, you need to give advice! That's fantastic preparation. It makes my preparations look pitiful.:thumb:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pay a little extra each payment you have, clear your debt. This will give you extra to use later. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape as it is, don't see a generator or comm gear listed. 10 gal. of gas ain't gonna last too long, if you have a good place to bug out to or in, might check with a Farm Supply and check on a 500 gal. tank, fill as possible (10 gal. at a time). Good luck
I'm not looking at a generator right now because I live right smack dab in the middle of town and just the sound would make me stick out like a sore thumb. The comm gear is a great idea though, as well as the larger tank for gas. Will definetely have to look into both of those.

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
You probably have it already, Grub, but maybe one of those short wave radios/chargers with the wind up solenoids that don't require batteries. Under 50.00 at most outdoor/hardware stores.
Stupid me, that's probably in your bob already.
How about some exotics, like gasmasks, iodide pills for radiation, etc?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You probably have it already, Grub, but maybe one of those short wave radios/chargers with the wind up solenoids that don't require batteries. Under 50.00 at most outdoor/hardware stores.
Stupid me, that's probably in your bob already.
How about some exotics, like gasmasks, iodide pills for radiation, etc?
Yeah have one of those I got from Sam's Club already but I'm not real happy with it, looking to upgrade.

Don't have any type of exotic stuff yet, want to make sure I have all my basics well covered before I start spending on that stuff that can be pricey.

·
Registered
125 Posts
split it up

i agree with the half and half...that way you are working on both things... and you FEEL like your getting some where on both fronts....will drive you crazy if you go all bills and come across a really good buy...will drive you crazy that bills hanging over your head... so work on both :thumb:

·
I'm keeping my eye on you
2,204 Posts
You seem to be better prepped than most. It might be smart to pay off the debt as soon as possible. This will get you out from under those obligations, save you money in interest, and free up the money you are making in payments each month to add to that $1400.00 each month. You can always tell your wife you want MRE's for Christmas.:rolleyes:

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Pay off that debt first. It is costing you money. Debt reduction is always the best thing to do with "spare" money. Unless I am reading this wrong you will only need 4 months to do it. You can use that time to really research what kinds of major or long term projects you want to work on.

When the debt is gone I would put some of that money toward your mortgage; maybe $200.

...and congratulations on how well you have done so far! :thumb:

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Pay off your debt and don't make any more of it. Try to keep your standard of living unchanged and accumulate a cash position. As the stock and real estate markets further deteriorate, there will be some fantastic bargains to be had.... if we avoid total collapse. Which I think we will. (JMHO). Anyone with good cash reserves will be able to take advantage of the situation. People with cash will be picking up properties for a song as banks are forced to unload bad debt. You can never go wrong buying real estate cheap. The market will eventually turn and you will be sitting on something of real value.

Seriously, you are doing well with your preps. Consider cash a great prep. Don't be tempted to spend too much of it. Buy only the things you feel you truly need or the things that will in turn make you money.

The old adage, "it takes money to make money" is true. Build that cash reserve so you have it when a money making opportunity comes along.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
You asked so here are some thoughts:

"2 decent BOB's (hers needs work)" Shame on a lot of guys that fall into this trap.

My wife is the most important part of my life. Her gear and guns come first. Always. She does not have the know how or experience to prepare it on her own, so I do with her input. Hers first. I can make do, and think ahead of far more than she can. We will bug in but she has what it takes to make a run on her own if need be, and meet up later.

She needs to open her bag and find food shelter and water, as well as the tools to get more and educational material as to how to use those tools to best advantage should I not be alive to help.

Take your wife to the pistol range. Rent several of all sizes and find the one she wants and can also shoot well. Nickel plate does not hit bullseyes, so council on your part is needed. My wife likes shiny, so we compromise with stainless.

Get her a cross over X shoulder holster and adapt the ammo side to accept an equal amount of ammo and clips so it is balanced and very comfortable for long term wear.

Think it through. There may be a lightweight carbine that shares mags with the pistol. Let it be her choice, but help her understand. Another AK may place her at a disadvantage if she isn't comfortable with it. She may prefer a glock and 30 rd mags. Its hard to say what they will pick.

Put what you value most first. That is where to supply.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You asked so here are some thoughts:

"2 decent BOB's (hers needs work)" Shame on a lot of guys that fall into this trap.

My wife is the most important part of my life. Her gear and guns come first. Always. She does not have the know how or experience to prepare it on her own, so I do with her input. Hers first. I can make do, and think ahead of far more than she can. We will bug in but she has what it takes to make a run on her own if need be, and meet up later.

She needs to open her bag and find food shelter and water, as well as the tools to get more and educational material as to how to use those tools to best advantage should I not be alive to help.

Take your wife to the pistol range. Rent several of all sizes and find the one she wants and can also shoot well. Nickel plate does not hit bullseyes, so council on your part is needed. My wife likes shiny, so we compromise with stainless.

Get her a cross over X shoulder holster and adapt the ammo side to accept an equal amount of ammo and clips so it is balanced and very comfortable for long term wear.

Think it through. There may be a lightweight carbine that shares mags with the pistol. Let it be her choice, but help her understand. Another AK may place her at a disadvantage if she isn't comfortable with it. She may prefer a glock and 30 rd mags. Its hard to say what they will pick.

Put what you value most first. That is where to supply.
I've got her a Walther P22 that she loves. I know.. not tons of stopping power, but she doesn't like shooting and going to the range so the fact that she is comftorable with it and can handle it makes me happy with it. About the bag, I agree with you completely. I need to make her gear more of a priority.

The reason I havn't so far? If we have to bug out(we're primarily bug in people) our BOL is only 5 miles away, and she has specific instructions to never bug out without me unless abseloutely necessary. If she does, she will have a big, mean dog with her and will be armed with her Walther + misc well placed knives.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I'm not looking at a generator right now because I live right smack dab in the middle of town and just the sound would make me stick out like a sore thumb. The comm gear is a great idea though, as well as the larger tank for gas. Will definetely have to look into both of those.

The Honda (EU1000 & EU2000 IIRC) generators are quiet enough that you'd not stick out, not much noiser than your car... AND with the adapter you can gang them together to make 220v. They are a bit expensive though...

Allan

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
"tons of extra dog food" Congrats on remembering your 4 legged family member! It makes me smile when I see others who prepare for them as well.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I agree with splitting the money half to debt and half to prep. First thing to do is get a plan together. Don't just buy to be buying stuff. If you buy a generator as a nice item to have when you bug out. A trailer with a place for generator on it is a good idea. If you buy one be sure to check it out with places like Consumer Reports. there are a lot of pieces of equipment that don't comeup to spec. In a generator be sure for one thing you have Over head Valves and steel sleeves on the cylinders. Also be sure to get at least 6500 peak with 5000 running.

Right now you sound like you are well on your way. Do you have a bug out location or location set up? If you want barter items buy more ammo. 22LR is always a good barter item.

Keep you bags up to date and be sure you vehicles are in tip top shape. More gas is an essential. Ask yourself if the power goes out what do I need? My neighbor didn't have a manual can opener when the power went out last time.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
A cb radio seems to be a good investment, and i would think that some form of seed suppy could be useful.

I Think in terms of what are we going to do once we get to where we are going if we must BO. do you have some tools to work the ground with or do you have the knowledge and tools to provide for energy and shelter.

visualize your post event world and plan accordingly.

I tend to think less in terms of "going to war with the world" and more in terms of going back to a subsistance lifestyle. What do we need to survive. Weapons are really more for hunting and maybe an occasional defense but more likely something to barter with.

One good hunting rifle and a handgun that i am proficient with is adequate, and plenty of ammunition.

the ammo will be harder to come by down the road. So I would continue to store more of that.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
if i was looking into some form of stand alone electric power short of hydro or solar, I would really want a diesel generator. You can pick up old army surplus 5kw at online auction.

Dig a whole and cover it up, it is quiet enough and you have fuel options if the fossils dry up for public consumption or affordability

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
One thing that you might want to consider... an older model car. Don't laugh. Hear me out. Most modern day cars have computer chips in them that can be burnt out with an EMP or electromagnetic pulse. Older model or classic cars do not have computer chips in them and will work even if somebody pops off a sky high nuke over our country. On top of that, older model cars keep their value and can disguise what you're doing... Hey, I just happen to like this older model car. Why else would I buy and maintain a 1957 Edsel? That way you have a car that will work pretty much no matter what happens to carry you and the family out of danger should you need to move... And it will maintain its value for years to come too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts