Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In re-packing my camp gear I've noticed 1 of my biggest canvas bags is fraying on the bottom. I'm unsure what the best way of repairing it is. I can't afford to replace it at this time and it's one of my most often used bags so I'd like to reinforce it before it gets any worse.

I have some spray adhesive intended for pool repair patch kits that I use on my tents. Do you think using that to glue a second layer of canvas over that whole side would stay? Or have a better way of reinforcing it?

I'm also having issues with my hatchet head staying put. The handle came loose over the winter and the wedge I put in to secure it just isn't cutting muster.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Anything to help the bottom out.
I've thought about some iron on knee patches to use for wear areas.
I use clear fingernail polish to keep some web gear from coming undone.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
In re-packing my camp gear I've noticed 1 of my biggest canvas bags is fraying on the bottom. I'm unsure what the best way of repairing it is. I can't afford to replace it at this time and it's one of my most often used bags so I'd like to reinforce it before it gets any worse.

I have some spray adhesive intended for pool repair patch kits that I use on my tents. Do you think using that to glue a second layer of canvas over that whole side would stay? Or have a better way of reinforcing it?
Sure--what you need, it sounds like, is some sort of stopgap measure for a period of time until you can replace it.

Whenever you do something like gluing something on like you suggest, the stress points are almost always the edges, which snag on things and pull away from the "host" bag.

If you can, wrap the supplemental canvas/denim/whatever around the bag in such a way that the edges won't end up in places where there's friction against other things.

I'm also having issues with my hatchet head staying put. The handle came loose over the winter and the wedge I put in to secure it just isn't cutting muster.
Another wedge or two?

I had a hammer like that where I put in a couple of wooden wedges and a couple of metal ones. Sounds like the handle shrunk with the lower humidity over the winter.

Reactions: MaKettle

·
Registered
517 Posts
You need an adhesive plus stitching to hold the patches on. You can get heavy apholstery needles and use the whole thickness of embroidery floss to sew it together.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
As michiganmom said that would work.
Just a thought, if you look at some garage sells you might find a few Lrg canvas bags for a real cheap price.

Hatchet: if you take the wedge/handle out and put some epoxy in the axe head and install the handle and then when it dries put the wedge back in it should fix the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts