Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a food dehydrator, it's an old school one withe the heating element and the 6 trays, it dosn't have a fan though like the newer ones iv'e seen. Got it at goodwill for 5 bucks.

What are some good recipies for foods that you guys enjoy to eat ?

Anbody have any ideas on things that you can dehydrate and would store long term ?

Also maybe meals that can be made for backpacking that you can reconstite and heat later.

Can you dehydrate grated potatos and make hash browns later???

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
if you look up "raw food" recipes, you'll come up with a lot. they show you how to make vegetable burgers, "bread," "cookies," etc.. using your dehydrator.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Great site, thanks for the link!

I just bought my first dehyrator this last week. Put about 14 bananas through it. Gooooood stuff! Looking forward to doing more and a larger variety of products. :thumb:
Mine rolls almost 24/7. If a recipe calls for a cup of fresh shredded cabbage, the rest of the head goes into the dehydrator. No waste allowed.

I'm planning on marathon carrot session next week. This guy prompted me to look at making up a bunch of pre packaged meals. Check out his Youtube channel.

I picked up The Dehydrator Bible, best resource I've found. It has instructions for drying as well as over 400 recipes :)
That's a great book to add to your dehydrating/storeage arsenal. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I made a batch of fruit I sliced into slices and chunks I made
kiwis
oranges
bannanas
cantalope
papayas
mangos
apples
and even sliced up some marachino cherries
The thinner cut stuff is done but some of the bigger chuncks i left in there. So far everything was great.

I also have a bag of jerky marinating in the fridge
I got the meat at the asian market it is beef sliced really thin called Shabu Shabu & the other kind I tried is called Suki-Yaki.

The marinade I made myself with

Half a brown onion diced
3 green onions chopped
some cilantro chopped
3 elephant garlic cloves mashed
Lots of fresh ground pepper
garlic powder
5 or 6 cloves
about 1/3 cup soy sauce
about 1/3 cup worsticure sauce
about 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
about a 1/4 cup of tabasco sauce
a good amount of brown sugar

I have it in a ziplock in the fridge for a few days, we will see how it comes out in the dehydrater. Iv'e made it in the oven before with london briol and hung it from toothpicks from the racks and it was good.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I made a batch of fruit I sliced into slices and chunks I made
kiwis
oranges
bannanas
cantalope
papayas
mangos
apples
and even sliced up some marachino cherries
The thinner cut stuff is done but some of the bigger chuncks i left in there. So far everything was great.

I also have a bag of jerky marinating in the fridge
I got the meat at the asian market it is beef sliced really thin called Shabu Shabu & the other kind I tried is called Suki-Yaki.

The marinade I made myself with

Half a brown onion diced
3 green onions chopped
some cilantro chopped
3 elephant garlic cloves mashed
Lots of fresh ground pepper
garlic powder
5 or 6 cloves
about 1/3 cup soy sauce
about 1/3 cup worsticure sauce
about 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
about a 1/4 cup of tabasco sauce
a good amount of brown sugar

I have it in a ziplock in the fridge for a few days, we will see how it comes out in the dehydrater. Iv'e made it in the oven before with london briol and hung it from toothpicks from the racks and it was good.
mmmm sounds yummy! :)

next time, you could try marinating it in bulgogi sauce, too!

here's some written directions with videos & pictures on how to make it. :)
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bulgogi-and-bulgogi-stew

i need to buy a dehydrator. i want to try it so bad. lol

your recipe for the jerky sounds awesome, though. i'll have to make a copy of it & save it. :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my dehydrator a bunch of years ago and a book by Bee Beyer called "Food drying at home the natural way" It is probably out of print but I have seen used copies around. The important thing to watch is the temperature. You dont want to cook just remove the moisture. I use the foodsaver bags or the attachment for big mouth mason jars. I even dried eggs once just to see if I could do it. My grandkids eat the jerky faster than I can make it. I have also vacuum packed different veggies in foodsaver bags making a meal in a bag.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got a dehydrator its a 4 rack with a fan i thin it moves air so i guess so. But there is no timer or on or off button i plug it in to goes on until i unplug it. but al my fruit is coming out overly dried even if i give it less time. ill slice up mangos and apples the mangos turn to leather same with melons the apples and other skinned fruit turn into crispy or leathery T's

·
Registered
125 Posts
Don't know how much help it is but i have a copy from 77 of the book Stocking up by Rodel press and it has many ideas and recipes for dehydrating all sorts of things, even regular veggies and such.. Would be willing to send them along if it will help.

·
Registered
638 Posts
dehydrator plans

http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple_Deluxe_Sonotube_Food_Dehydrator/

there are several of these here.

Also We buy a lot of windsor canadian at our house. sometimes we get soco too. makes great jerky.

The best, imho is just

4 cups Jack Daniels

2 cups low sodium soysauce

2 cups brown sugar

2 tbsp black pepper.

For a pre rub/pre soak I use 2 tbsp garlic and let it drown first in Mexi Papaya. really tenderizes the meat without using MSG. MSG is horrible meat tenderizer. Then I use the above to marinate it in overnight. The longer the better

A great substitute for the soysauce, if you are on a no sodium bent, is liquid smoke, potassium chloride.

Cut into 1/4 inch slices, marinade, dry, voila!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also recommend the Dehydrator Bible. I tested mine out for the first time 2 nights ago...only Granny Smith apples and bananas. The book said 5-8 hours but i'm pretty sure they were in for about 10! and STILL should have stayed in a bit longer.

I can't wait for MANGOS to be in season. The best dried mangos i've tasted were in Hawaii..can't find anything close to as good in SoCal :(

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also recommend the Dehydrator Bible. I tested mine out for the first time 2 nights ago...only Granny Smith apples and bananas. The book said 5-8 hours but i'm pretty sure they were in for about 10! and STILL should have stayed in a bit longer.

I can't wait for MANGOS to be in season. The best dried mangos i've tasted were in Hawaii..can't find anything close to as good in SoCal :(
I get Mangos @ the asian markets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts