Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been tasked with setting up our security (mobile) communication at the BOL. I could use some help on narrowing this down. So here is a quick overview of how we are imagining using this setup:

1) 4-6 'combat' portable radios in use at one time
2) Additional 4 back at and around base camp
3) Possible base camp repeater?
4) 'Combat' simply designated as units to be used on patrol or with a quick reaction force
5) Need 'combat' units to have ear pieces and PTT or VOX
6) Desire replaceable battery operated (rechargeable)
7) What level of solar would I need to maintain the batteries? How many batteries? Target 2 years of operation post SHTF (My goal is for this to be a standalone system independent of other BOL systems)
8) Two-way radio, CB, or other?
9) Patrol range of 50 to 75 acres
10) Keeping in mind that the cost has to be kept low (family deal here) so I can’t be spending $200 plus per unit.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

·
Titleless
1,361 Posts
For the area and use you describe, FRS is the way to go. They start at around $10 each and up. Using number codes can save both battery time and provide commo security. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-code gives some background. They will all accept rechargable batteries. http://www.siliconsolar.com/solar-battery-chargers.html has several options for solar chargers and batteries. Whatever system you design, keep it simple...it aint gonna work as well as you plan anyway. People will still stay people, especially in a crisis and unless you are lagering up with a squad of Rangers, they will most likely not be as proficient as one would like at communication (or anything else). If you are considering one location for operations, think about buried wire lines and field telephones. Much quieter in use and less likely to be intercepted. For mobile operations radios are the best.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That thread goes into some details on Ham, which we are all set on.

I'm looking more for a best practice on a single person radio setup, such as individual comm units that a SWAT team might use. Just the civilian format.

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
That thread goes into some details on Ham, which we are all set on.

I'm looking more for a best practice on a single person radio setup, such as individual comm units that a SWAT team might use. Just the civilian format.
Just hope you're aware that anything other than HAM will be useless if the SHTF.

·
Titleless
1,361 Posts
Just hope you're aware that anything other than HAM will be useless if the SHTF.
How so? He doesn't want to talk to Europe...just within a mile or so of his BOL. Ham is great for it's purpose, but isn't a panacea for all commo needs. Once things settle down and communities and States start to reform and rebuild, then Ham will come into its own. I can't see much use for it in the short term, though, especially for local comms. Just one mans opinion.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
Anything that is quality (holds up to use in field) with any amount of quality in a secure frequency will be above budget. You can go with the inexpensive frs unit are a option . You will have to order the headsets as most places dont carry them and using a code system for security will work. You could go hand held CB's as they have better range for you acerage , i would assume you could could get headsets for them and then buy a used base unit and you would not be close the 200 dollar figure. The problem with that is others a farther distance will hear chatter but you will also gather intel that way but the CB's will require more power than the frs.

You might use a combo of both , have camp communications with the frs and have a CB or two to gather intel in your area.Are there hills and thick woods if so you will need to test system before problems arise , another words purchase two units and do a test trial in your area to know the limitations that would not cost alot to test out. If there are multiple buildings direct cable would be a good option as someone stated earlier. A ham unit would be valueble for intel and entertainment/hope factor.

Whistles or game calls could be useful also.

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
Basically have a good selection if you can...

CB.

Ham.

Scanner.

Two way radios.

Cell phone.

Walkie talkie.

Land line.

If you can afford to get something going on each of these then you got a great fighting chance... Hopefully something will work.

Got everything covered except them ham. working on that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have HAM for what it is worth, but I just have a hard time understanding the hardcore HAM is the only way crowd. Can you carry a HAM radio while on patrol? If I need to call in a threat to base camp from my observation post, how does HAM help?

Let me know if I am missing something here, but according to the OP, HAM isn't even part of the discussion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Decided on Motorola MR355r with a Stryker Throat Mic. Clearly a more introductory start, but it is a start. I think that having portable communication will be a key security factor.

Plus our BOL is very, very rural, so "jammed" FRS channels won't be an issue.

·
Hello
318 Posts
Puxing PX-888 verD UHF 400-480Mhz radios or really anything from Puxing are dirt cheap on ebay and will be better than any FRS system (better mic selection, higher power, changeable antennas, wider range) . Most Puxing radio's can be had for under $60 and you get a lot of radio for your money.

A lot of old Ham guys hate them, but they are largely the ones that suck the fun out of the hobby and only talk about what they had for dinner and how many thousand they have spent on their ham shack. I think they dislike the idea of accessible prices and new players on the market.

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
We have HAM for what it is worth, but I just have a hard time understanding the hardcore HAM is the only way crowd. Can you carry a HAM radio while on patrol? If I need to call in a threat to base camp from my observation post, how does HAM help?

Let me know if I am missing something here, but according to the OP, HAM isn't even part of the discussion.
I'm not hardcore HAM, but I know it will work reliably and over long distance.

You couldn't carry one of these on "patrol?" Or one of these?

I think it's me that's missing something.

·
Simmer down now
1,711 Posts
Decided on Motorola MR355r with a Stryker Throat Mic. Clearly a more introductory start, but it is a start. I think that having portable communication will be a key security factor.

Plus our BOL is very, very rural, so "jammed" FRS channels won't be an issue.
Please do a review when you get them. Could be of help to other members in rural areas.

Better then no communication means at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just my input but for years i have been using Midlands Radios, rugged, operate on the VHF frequencies and have multiple codec channels to select as well as pwr levels to select. They also have many options for which ever radio your specifically looking for and you can get a base station. Also to be frank if your looking for something less likely to go vhf is the way to go since most military communications operate in the vhf/uhf frequency bands. also jamming of any signals HF(CB/Ham) or VHF/UHF would require large amounts of pwr to knock out an entire freq band. So the chances of someone doing this are slim to none especial in a SHTF situation. So what i would recommend is for short haul comms use low pwr radios, and then for long haul use a Ham set up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Nope - my miss. I always viewed HAM devices as larger units that took a fair amount of power, so I automatically excluded them. Cost is still too high at this point being as it is a joint buy. If it was just me, I'd drop the coin on the a better setup, but not the sole decision maker on this one.

From our patrol area back to the cabin will be within a couple of miles on flat ground with heavier woods. I'll post up on how the MR355rs hold up in this type of terrian.

·
Veteran 11BC2/EOD
2,021 Posts
Steve and Texas- The VX8 is a nice radio, but the gps feature is what bumped the price so much. The VX7 is what my crew runs, and its almost $300 cheaper. Its a full multi band scanner, uses the 6M band and transmits at .3 watts for stealth comms on the 6M band. You REALLY should look at what those little Yeasu's are capable of, with a bit of imagination, you would be amazed at what they will do. And fit very nicely in a shirt pocket.

I just looked at the prices on that site. Whoever is running it is on Crack. The prices there are WAY over retail, and absolutely insane. HRO, HAM City , pretty much every HAM specialty outlet are FAR cheaper for the same radio.

If you stop on that site, run before it gets your credit card.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Nope - my miss. I always viewed HAM devices as larger units that took a fair amount of power, so I automatically excluded them. Cost is still too high at this point being as it is a joint buy. If it was just me, I'd drop the coin on the a better setup, but not the sole decision maker on this one.

From our patrol area back to the cabin will be within a couple of miles on flat ground with heavier woods. I'll post up on how the MR355rs hold up in this type of terrian.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.