Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)Please help.
I bought a new Remington 870 express 3” Magnum with a 28” vented and a 20" short barrel 2 months ago and have had nothing but problems right out of the box.
This gun jambs after just a few (5 or 6) shots. I’ve been shooting skeet with my buddy and it’s frustrating as hell. After the shot the bolt won’t pull back to extract the spent shell except for about 1/16”.
I took it back to the gun store and his gun smith had it for two weeks. It then jammed on the 3rd shot. I took it right back the same day. This time he replaced the barrel. It still jams.
I’m using Winchester 12 ga, 2 ¾”, 3dr. 1 1/8 oz, 7 ½ shot, same as my buddy and his Wingmaster. I also have a 40 year old CIL 12 ga. and it never jams.
So is this a common problem with the 870?
Should I get a different 870 or go for a Mossberg or Ithica?
I paid just under $500.00 and want something good in that price range.
What should I do?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
From what I've read Remington has about 10,000 barrels out there that have been calibrated wrong. The bore is too tight so the shells jam after firing.

You have 2 options: Get your money back or find an older barrel or one from Remington that they state is a correction to the calibration issue.

I guess maybe the smith wasn't aware of the problem. If he had he could have compared the replacement barrel to the one you brought back and saw that it also has the issue with calibration.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shotguns

Personally, I would sell the 870 and go out an buy a Mossberg, but that is just personal opinion. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes in weapons. My personal favorite shotguns just happen to be Mossberg. I have never had a problem with one.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Spend a little extra and get a Browning BPS. Smoothest damn pump action I've ever shot. Feels like everything operates on ball bearings.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
you may have to spend a bit more if Remington wont replace the barrel, but even if you buy a new barrel yourself, your problem should be solved right there. its a dynamite gun

·
Salad Shooter
300 Posts
Have you tried contacting Remington directly? I had problems with my .45 out of the box but Kimber just had me ship it back to them and they fixed it. I just don't know about Remington's customer service policies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts