Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a Springfield XD in 40 cal… not a problem

But I would like some thoughts on if I should just buy one outright or sell my Ruger P-97 and replace it with the 40?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Yes I have one thought on this get a 45 or 9mm why well the 40 is common to the police department but it is not as easy to be had as a 45 or 9mm. 45 is a common round not what they call a bastard round so if you have to get ammo 45 may be easy to come by. 9mm might be even easier since the military and allot of police and other people use it. I like the 45 if you hit something it stays down and a XD or any 1911 will do the trick in 45. The Springfield 45 auto is a tough weapon my friend washes the dirt out of his and blasts away with it wet and muddy. A tough parkerized finish is better than some shiny gang banger piece. so i guess it comes down to a drive by or combat shooting. I am old Corps and combat is all I deal with. Semper Fi

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

The P-97 is a 45, I love the power...

I really want to try a 40 That is about all I have left!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Yes I have one thought on this get a 45 or 9mm why well the 40 is common to the police department but it is not as easy to be had as a 45 or 9mm. 45 is a common round not what they call a bastard round so if you have to get ammo 45 may be easy to come by. 9mm might be even easier since the military and allot of police and other people use it. I like the 45 if you hit something it stays down and a XD or any 1911 will do the trick in 45. The Springfield 45 auto is a tough weapon my friend washes the dirt out of his and blasts away with it wet and muddy. A tough parkerized finish is better than some shiny gang banger piece. so i guess it comes down to a drive by or combat shooting. I am old Corps and combat is all I deal with. Semper Fi
.45 acp IS a good round BUT it is limiting in magazine capacity. 9mm give great magazine capacity but it really lacks in it's ability to supply one shot stopping power The .40 falls right in place, excellent magazine capacity, heavier bullets that supply superior terminal ballistics, and quite frankly, a bit better range than the .45acp. I cut my teeth shooting Bianchi Cup with a custom 1911 in .45acp when I was a young man. In my opinion there is nothing better except a highcap .40 when it comes to self defense. Lets face it you can only kill someone so dead, but when it comes to a shoot out, the more rounds you can deliver the better off you are, as long as they are capable of a one shot kill... The XD 40 is a wise choice, it offers high capacity, excellent ergonomics, a grip safety and excellent sights, I may not be designed to shoot while filled with mud, but then again neither was the 1911, it just happens to be more forgiving than other designs, unlike the beretta...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I am going to get a Springfield XD in 40 cal… not a problem

But I would like some thoughts on if I should just buy one outright or sell my Ruger P-97 and replace it with the 40?

Any suggestions?
My personal thought is there will come a day when everything will go wrong and we will all need to fend for ourselves. Currency will not have any value and firearms will be worth their weight in gold, both intrinsically and monitarily. Having as many as possible will be like having a key to the bank vault. Having different caliber firearms will allow one to cover all bases as to available ammunition, now and later. People have stated that .40S&W ammo is "too expensive". If you shop wisely you can find deals on ammo. and if you compare equal types of ammo you will find it is cost competitive (bear in mind there is no ball ammo in .40 but ball ammo, being fmj isnt all that effective as it doesnt expand, and military surplus .45 and 9mm IS fmj ball ammo).

With all that said, I would personally keep the ruger and buy the XD outright.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never been one to get rid of guns... I sold one once 25 years ago and have been sorry ever since...

But I wanted to see what others was thinking... :thumb:

Reactions: Pointblank

·
"Fast Mover"
236 Posts
I have never been one to get rid of guns... I sold one once 25 years ago and have been sorry ever since...

But I wanted to see what others was thinking... :thumb:

My wife has a compact 4inch XD 40, We have held the 5 inch, but we didn't care for it much.

It won't blow up in your face like a glock. The other day I bought some custom grip tape which is made by springfield, and its cut to stick right on, for 5 bucks it works great. There are also a lot of other companies that make some really cool gear built just for the XD series.

the 4inch 40, will give you 12 in the mag with one ready to go. Both my wife and I really feel like the XD is well balanced. It also comes in 4 colors.

I paid right at 500 for mine a little over a year ago, but if I had to do it again I would get the night sights, which I will get later.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions I'd be happy to help,

Pointblank

Reactions: Gunner65

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
Here in NY, we're limited to 10 round magazines. So I always go for the .45 as a 13 or 14 round capacity does me no good. I do have 2 9mm pistols but one is preban and holds 15 rounds and the other is a 10 round pocket pistol.

Reactions: Gunner65

·
Registered
647 Posts
My advice would be to keep the P-97 and buy the XD, if money is not a problem. If it is a money issue, I feel that the XD has a better trigger than the ruger P series and all around I like the XD better. Just my opinion.

Tbull:cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have two XD pistols now. Both in 9mm. I have the sub-compact and the service model. if you are going to get a 40, why not try the new xd-m. Check it out at least. I really like the XD pistols, haven't had any issues with mine.

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
I have an XD40 with a 4in. barrel. To me at least it points well and has been very reliable. Recoil isn't bad at all, either. But is it my favorite pistol, no. My USP or Walther P99 are preferred, but in the woods I usually take the XD because the others are 9s. (while hunting the 9mm feels an awful lot like a pellet gun...)

I'm not sure if the problem has been corrected, but on my pistol (over 3yrs old now) I noticed that it had a tendency to develop a slight film of corrosion after a while. Sitting in a holster was enough to do it. The only place it was safe was the safe itself. Keeping it well-oiled has solved the problem, but I'm not sure I would feel too good about the XD's future if I was hunting in a wet, cold and damp environment for a week. Also, I live in a very humid environment.

I think (but not sure) the problem has been corrected on more recent guns, however.

But as an everyday gun and a road-trip/hiking gun, I like it.

Like I said, I prefer other options that are out there, but do I trust the XD? Yes. Would I grab it and be confident it would do exactly what its supposed to in an emergency? Absolutely. Would it be the end of the world if all my other pistols disappeared and I had to rely on the XD as my only handgun in a SHTF situation? No, far from it.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Get both .......................................Duhhhh . :D:

Everybody need more than one side arm . Just make sure you keep the mags with the right gun . Keep one in the BOB , keep one at the house .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.