Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a H&K SL8, and am not sure what sort of scope to put on it. I'm looking for something that makes magnifies my target slightly for better shots at longer ranges, but isn't completely useless in a close encounter either. Does anyone know of a scope that's a good compromise?

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
Any short tube 1x4power scope should do the job. Battle rifles are made to shoot man sized targets. A man is a pretty big target. At 1000 yards with your scope set at 4x a man will appear as if 250 yards away. This is shootable with iron sights. Turn the scope down to 1 (no magnification) and use your crosshair like a red dot sight for target acquisition.(keep both eyes open). I have never shot a sl8 but they look mean! These are just my opinions. Hope they help. boot.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Any short tube 1x4power scope should do the job. Battle rifles are made to shoot man sized targets. A man is a pretty big target. At 1000 yards with your scope set at 4x a man will appear as if 250 yards away. This is shootable with iron sights. Turn the scope down to 1 (no magnification) and use your crosshair like a red dot sight for target acquisition.(keep both eyes open). I have never shot a sl8 but they look mean! These are just my opinions. Hope they help. boot.
Unfortunatly shooting somthing a kilometer away is alot tougher than you would think and "Battle rifles" are not generaly up for shooting at that distance 700m is probbably more in the realm of reality for max effective range with a good semi auto rifle at a point target with decent ammo and someone who is a good shooter. after around 500m you start needing to take into account wind temp and other weather effects and the further out you go the more exagerated the effects become.
your average soldier in the army only shoots in training out to 300m only designated marksman and snipers consistantly train at further distances

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
Unfortunatly shooting somthing a kilometer away is alot tougher than you would think and "Battle rifles" are not generaly up for shooting at that distance 700m is probbably more in the realm of reality for max effective range with a good semi auto rifle at a point target with decent ammo and someone who is a good shooter. after around 500m you start needing to take into account wind temp and other weather effects and the further out you go the more exagerated the effects become.
your average soldier in the army only shoots in training out to 300m only designated marksman and snipers consistantly train at further distances
I apologize for any misconceptions caused by my using the 1000 yard example above. I have never personally fired a round of anything at 1000 yards(and probably never will). I was using the analogy of a man at 1000 yards magnified by 4x as say to a groundhog at 1000 yards. A 1-4x scope for the man sizes target is adequate. I personally cannot see a groundhog at 250 yards and would probably need a 24x scope. As the OPs original question is" what type of scope to get", I think a 1-4x variable will wring everything out of the .223 cartridge used in the battle rifle format that it is capable of. If the primary targets are smaller than man sized, i would increase magnification. Sorry for the confusion.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a H&K SL8, and am not sure what sort of scope to put on it. I'm looking for something that makes magnifies my target slightly for better shots at longer ranges, but isn't completely useless in a close encounter either. Does anyone know of a scope that's a good compromise?
Here's the Horus Vision Talon 1000 1x4x24 quick aquistion scope with controlled illumination. I love it mounted on my M4.

Attachments

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
Now that's what I'm talkin about. Did you check out any other 1x4 scopes before you got the Horus? BTW, really nice.:thumb:

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Now that's what I'm talkin about. Did you check out any other 1x4 scopes before you got the Horus? BTW, really nice.:thumb:
Thanks brother! Yes I did as a matter of fact. IMHO, the Horus is the best of the best in the 1x4 class. I selected it when I did my M4 upgrade.

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
Thanks brother! Yes I did as a matter of fact. IMHO, the Horus is the best of the best in the 1x4 class. I selected it when I did my M4 upgrade.
I didn't know about the Horus until I had already ordered a Millet DMS. I'm like Herd Sniper. I really like the Millet but I have heard nothing but really good things about the Horus. I'm going to wring out the Millet on the .223 upper then take a look at a Horus for the 6.8 as I only have a cheap Tasco red dot on it at present. And Herd Sniper, keep us posted on how your Millet runs. There is just nothing cooler than that red dot lighting up on a target.:thumb:

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
I didn't know about the Horus until I had already ordered a Millet DMS. I'm like Herd Sniper. I really like the Millet but I have heard nothing but really good things about the Horus. I'm going to wring out the Millet on the .223 upper then take a look at a Horus for the 6.8 as I only have a cheap Tasco red dot on it at present. And Herd Sniper, keep us posted on how your Millet runs. There is just nothing cooler than that red dot lighting up on a target.:thumb:
There's nothing wrong at all with the Millet. I've heard the same about it....a really good optic and I beleive it! But I do know that the first time you actually sight down the Horus hot, you will really love it! BTW, is the Millet a quick aquisition scope?

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
There's nothing wrong at all with the Millet. I've heard the same about it....a really good optic and I beleive it! But I do know that the first time you actually sight down the Horus hot, you will really love it! BTW, is the Millet a quick aquisition scope?
Not in the same way a holographic sight would be. I would imagine it would be
about the same as the Horus turned to 1.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Not in the same way a holographic sight would be. I would imagine it would be
about the same as the Horus turned to 1.
Well the holographics a whole new ballgame we're talking. I do like them and plan to put one on one of my rifles, 'just don't know which one yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts