Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my well armed brethren, I am now undertaking the weaponry phase of preparation. I need advice as well as general cost assessments. I will post my needs and my current prospects and you can correct me and provide better suggestions because I am positive that most of you know more than I about these things. So please, tear me up in my ignorance.

1. varmit gun
-have ruger 10/22

2. side arm
-want .45 short

3. general defense
- want ar-15

4. heavy defense
-want SKS

5. long range/hunting
-want remmy 700p

So there it is. Keep in mind that I have a modest income and bills to pay. Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
OK my well armed brethren, I am now undertaking the weaponry phase of preparation. I need advice as well as general cost assessments. I will post my needs and my current prospects and you can correct me and provide better suggestions because I am positive that most of you know more than I about these things. So please, tear me up in my ignorance.

1. varmit gun
-have ruger 10/22

2. side arm
-want .45 short

3. general defense
- want ar-15

4. heavy defense
-want SKS

5. long range/hunting
-want remmy 700p

So there it is. Keep in mind that I have a modest income and bills to pay. Please help. Thanks
Ok the 10/22 you have thats good.

The side arm of a 45 look at guns at pawn shops you may find a good deal as I have seen them. If new look at S&W M&P, Tauras and GLOCK.

General defense I would say if on a budget go AK and get a WASR-10 they are at a good price and build an AR. If you build an AR you can buy an AK for the price of one AR off the rack. This will allow you to have both

The SKS would go along with general defense its no better then the AK in my opion.

If you want a long range gun go with a .308 and I think Wal-Mart has some great prices for off the shelf guns in that cal.

My first buy would be as follows

AK-47
Build an AR-15
Buy an SKS

Buy a side arm 9mm, 40mm and .45 are the ones I would be looking at.

I would buy the .308 last.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
1. varmit gun - have ruger 10/22
2. side arm - want .45 short
3. general defense - want ar-15
4. heavy defense - want SKS
5. long range/hunting - want remmy 700p
1. Already have, enough said.
2. Look at S&W or Springfield composites.
3. Buy lower and upper separate to save on "gun" taxes.
4. Noting wrong with an SKS but what is the difference between general and heavy defense?
5. Also look at Savage.

Buy 2 and 3 before Obama gets into office and outlaws guns!

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
you made excelent choices on every thing accept the sks and long range rifle. dont get the sks, the guy at the gun shop said not to trust it over 150 yrds, get a 30-06, covers the heavy defence and long range hunting.

·
Registered
871 Posts
since your on a bugdget here are some of my sugguestions
used smith wesson 45 auto can be had in the 200 plus dollar range
mossberg 100 atr 30-06 $244 at wal-mart
mavereck 12 ga pump $150 at wal-mart
now before people flame me im just trying to help a fellow surviver on a budget.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1. Great rifle
2.If you have to have .45 I would go with ACP. On a budget Rock Island is a good gun. If you go 9mm I would suggest Glock 17.
3. If you want an AR I would suggest bite the bullet and go with a Colt LE model. Expensive though. If AK most will be reliable not to mention cheaper to practice with at the moment.
4&5. A semi-auto .308. FAL, M1A

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
1. varmit gun
-have ruger 10/22 everybody should have one

2. side arm
-want .45 short?? .45 ACP in a 1911 or XD is what you need

3. general defense
- want ar-15No problem here

4. heavy defense
-want SKSNO , get a 762x51 , IE: M1A, FAL, Cetme/HK91 , your not gaining anything over the AR ,

5. long range/hunting
-want remmy 700pGet an 308 , it'll kill out to 1500 meters with ease , humans and deer , elk etc. Plus it use's the same ammo as you're MBR ( Main Battle Rifle )
just my .02 ....................

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
A big factor is where you live. How much space between you and neighbors? Is the surrounding area wooded or open fields? I ask this because your surrounding environment is the most important factor in selecting the right tool for the job. If you are in a city or packed suburbia then maybe a good shotgun would be a smart investment.

SKS is great for a 7.62 rifle and they are better made than most of the crap AK's I've seen lately. You can still find unissued SKS's for $300-350.

I'm not a big fan of the AK's. I don't knock their reliability but I don't want to spend $500+ for a rattling, clunky, POS with bent sights and accuracy to match. For just a bit more I can buy a nice AR and have a tight package with the ability to hit what I'm aiming at.

For a pump shotgun I would consider the Mossberg 500 (maverick 88) which can be had for $200-350.

Since your starting out having multiple weapons using the same ammo or parts can be a big benefit. Common calibers are tops (.22lr, 9mm, .45acp, .223, 308...). I try to keep the stuff that every back road corner store will have if nothing else (that's not going to be a .40s&w or a .338 Lapau) in case I have to take my show on the road (bug out).

Overall you have made, I think ,some fine selections.

Reactions: Dwind

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would think a .40 S&W would be common as a lot of police force use them and the 45acp. and would be common or atleast it is in my area.

Why suggest the colt its way to over priced for what you can build and buy extra mags and also have enough left over to buy an AK.

I like the SKS but wouldnt pay that much for one.

I would buy an AK and build an AR you can and should get into all that right at 1000 or a little under. The guns that have been given from wal-mart great deals and I would go that route also. I like my Glock G19 and I really 9mm. I like that im back on target a little faster then I would be with a 40 or 45 cal weapon. I wouldnt get caught up in the ABCs of ARs build one you will know your weapon inside and out and its a good lesson to help keep it clean and know what it looks like. I also say as long as they all go bang what does it matter what name is on it.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
exacty Cryp- in my case, general defense is provided by my shotgun, because of the versatility of the weapon and because of the absolute lethality at short to medium ranges- the distances you're talking about in most defensive situations.

My question is, what is meant by a '45 short'? a .45ACP compact pistol?

·
Registered
488 Posts
AR and SKS are somewhat redundant. I don't like having both calibers.
If you have enough money, I'd recommend the AR platform over AK/SKS.
If I had guns I'd keep them all at the following calibers-
22LR
7.62x39
30-06
12ga

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I did not read the other post so here goes. First of all we are not going to tear you up. There is no bad question here. Only questions you do not ask since that will get you in trouble.

The 10-22 is a great gun and should run you around $220 out the door new. Get extra mags (Butler Creek very good Steel lips). Buy lots of 22LR ammo. It is still affordable. Get some hollowpoint but stick with good clean stuff . A brick (500 rounds box/10 50 round boxes) is a great deal. YOu can shoot it or use it as barter if needed.

SIde Arm 45Short. I assume you are referring the length of the barrel. You can go single action like the 1911 GOvt Model or you can get one of the newer double action units. Shoot them both and decide for yourself. All guns you need to fire and see if they fit you. How do they feel in your hands? I prefer the 9MM or the 40Cal. The 9 is std military issue now. All 45s have been taken from the military stores. You want to have several hundred rounds on hand at a minimum of any caliber you buy.

AR 15 is good gun and I have one. I like the AK action better. that is a personal choice. I would go for an Ak and then take an SKS as back up in same caliber later. You can buy both for the price of one AR. Again buy at least a 1000 rounds of ammo if you can. Buy what you can now. If you buy the AK then take the difference in price of the AR and buy ammo.

For a hunting gun shop at the pawn shops right now. In hard times a lot of people will be dumping things they can't afford and guns are there for manyof them. Look for a gently used one. You may get a real bargain. Be willing to change calibers if the right gun is there. I like a .308 since it is a military caliber as well. For most hunting in US this is adequate.

Best wishes to you.

1. varmit gun
-have ruger 10/22

2. side arm
-want .45 short

3. general defense
- want ar-15

4. heavy defense
-want SKS

5. long range/hunting
-want remmy 700p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts