Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing in my preps that I have been sorely overlooking in my preps is a camp stove. I have been putting it off for a while but I really need to get one.

The trouble is, what kind? I am tossed between a few with regard to fuel type.

Part of me wants a propane stove since I can buy a regulator to use off of 20# tanks if need be. But how efficient would it be?

Another part of me wants a dual fuel for the obvious reasons.

A kersene stove could be used with a kerosen lantern.

What are your experiences with each? What are you using and why?

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
Alcohol

I like to think of multiple uses for everything I carry.

My stove is home made from the bottoms of two beer cans.
The fuel I carry is 95 proof everclear.

On a lazy trip, I can cook over the fire and drink my stove fuel :D:

LP - I think they make manifolds to re-fill the cartridges off of a bottle.

·
No IQ test required
171 Posts

That is the greatest idea ever !!!!!!!:thumb:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That is kind of where I am. A gasoline stove has appeal as well. So do the small backpack stoves.

I am conflicted.

·
No IQ test required
171 Posts
I use a small wood burning stove that has a build in fan , the thing is like a blast furnace when going , it's called Solhuma but, Im not plugging... also the hobo stove when I really feel like roughing it or I forgot my stove

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although I can see the use in the small alcohol burners (as a back up), I think I need something a bit bigger as it will be serving 4-5 people per day.

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
I have a single burner coleman

That is kind of where I am. A gasoline stove has appeal as well. So do the small backpack stoves.

I am conflicted.
Compared to the LP stoves, most gas stoves are pretty heavy.

Have you seen a Svea 123?

LP - it's hard to leave on a trip with less than a full cartridge.

... there will get to be several 'almost empty' cartridges laying around.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm in the heavily wooded NE of the country, so I have a couple ways to cook and heat with wood.

I also have my backyard grill and 3 backup 30lb tanks.

For a bug out situation, I have ready to eat foods and a Kelly Kettle http://www.kellykettle.com/

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
I just paid 24 bucks for a deep throat hole punch for sheet metal. Why?

I'm building a couple DIY bushwhacker stoves. Dual walled, gassifier wood stove. As a backup, I'll pack my soda can alcohol stove. Both the wood burner and the alcohol burner fit my Snowpeak 900 pot and are lighter than my Jetboil with fuel.

I still use the jetboil for car camping for the early morning coffee, but for backpacking it's the other two.

I found a decent source for paint cans. I might make a half dozen or so to sell to recoup the costs of the metal punch. Or I might just give them away.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I kinda went the other way of thinking. I have different stoves that burn different fuels.

Coleman 2 burner gas stove. I saw a adapter at Wally-World to use propane with it. I haven't tried it yet. Great for family cooking.

Trangia alcohol stove. It burns Denatured alcohol and Yellow Heat. I have the mess kit with it and it works great for 1 or 2 people.

Brunton Talon Stove. It burns Isobutane. Really small and easy to use. Compact storage and stores in my I.B. Cookset.

MSR Dragonfly Stove. It burns coleman fuel and kerosene. This is probably my favorite stove for camping. It alows you to do more of a simmer style cooking and boils water really fast. It is light and doesn't take alot of room in you packs.

I always like to mess with camp stoves so I naturally have more than one. You have to look at what you will be using it for and make your decisions based on that. Sorry this got so long winded.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One thing in my preps that I have been sorely overlooking in my preps is a camp stove. I have been putting it off for a while but I really need to get one.

Part of me wants a propane stove since I can buy a regulator to use off of 20# tanks if need be. But how efficient would it be?

I've got about 4 different types of portable stoves/grills

2 of them run off of those 1lb propane cylinders (one is like a griddle and one is a 2 burner stove). I've used these the most for car camping and also used them for several Hurricane seasons.

I've got one little old hibachi style grill that I use with charcoal.

And my last one I use a good bit is a MSR Whisperlite International. I like it because I can carry it on my bike for road trips, plus I can pack it inside one of my cooking pots so that it's pretty contained. And the best thing is, that it runs on either white fuel or regular gas.

·
Proud to be Welsh.
868 Posts
I collect stoves as a hobby so picking one is not a problem for me. In your case I would go for the Primus Omnifuel, this burns coleman/kerosene and standard thread gas canisters, if you don't mind sooty pans you can burn diesel in one. 10,000BTU's output, boils very fast, simmers very well and are easy to maintain in the field. Not cheap, but worth everypenny

This type
http://cgi.ebay.com/Primus-Omnifuel...|66:4|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:200

·
Registered
70 Posts

I have a large coleman propane stove and a duel fuel coleman 533 for completely different missions. Both work extremely well and I'd practically rather use them than my kitchen stove.

It really all depends on what you want the stove to do. Will it be in your BOB, or is it going to be more stationary? How many will you be cooking for?

IMO, the duel fuel 533 or the lighter version (can't remember the exact number) would be superior in a bug out situation. However, either would be too heavy and bulky were you to want to use the stove for long hikes.

I've recently purchased a Jetboil because I am trying to reduce pack weight but am not ready to go into the mini alcohol stove group just yet. (although they clearly work)

My advice would be to have several stoves designed for different missions. I don't think there's any stove that is perfect for any scenario.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
I swear by my Jetboil, the little bugger is efficient and light weight.
I like my jetboil too, but it's not really that lightweight. It depends, really. If you're going on a 3 or 4 day hike, an alcohol stove is more efficient use of weight. If you're going on a longer excursion, the jetboil makes more sense.

Companion Cup, Stove and Fuel are a pound or a little over.

Soda can stove, 8oz HEET, Snowpeak 900 pot, Windscreen weight in at nearly half that.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts