Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving up in IUSPSA class and going to shoot a 45 (currently shooting Production Minor). Obvious chioce is a 1911, but I can't make my mind up as to which one. Money is a minor issue, but I don't want to jump into a custom 1911 just yet. Here are the ones I am considering:

Colt Gold Cup
Kimber TLE
Sig Saur XO Nitron
Springfield Loaded
Springfield Range Officer

Every site talks about how wonderful each gun is, but they each have experienced problems. I would appreciate input from those with experience with each gun.

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
The gold cup is the standard, but out of the box is beaten by some on that list and some not on the list.

If your list the Sig has worked out to be the better of the lot for me.

Be prepared to get the drilling from the colt/kimber/springfield/sig crowds.
They all swear they are the best thing since sliced bread. Its like asking ford/mopar/chevy etc.
At the end of the day, be prepared for a break in period for any of them.
Pay attention to how it feels in your hand and go with what feels best for you.

I am moving up in IUSPSA class and going to shoot a 45 (currently shooting Production Minor). Obvious chioce is a 1911, but I can't make my mind up as to which one. Money is a minor issue, but I don't want to jump into a custom 1911 just yet. Here are the ones I am considering:

Colt Gold Cup
Kimber TLE
Sig Saur XO Nitron
Springfield Loaded
Springfield Range Officer

Every site talks about how wonderful each gun is, but they each have experienced problems. I would appreciate input from those with experience with each gun.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Here it comes....

I love my Gold Cup. Since you aren't looking at a semi-custom yet, I won't talk about them. I personally am NOT a fan of Kimbers, and yes I have shot quite a few, that said there is a HUGE base of people that LOVE Kimbers.

Personally, if not the Colt, I would go Springfield, but it is ALL very subjective, and I don't believe there is one correct answer.

See if you can find people/friends that will allow you to shoot them, call ranges around you that rent gun to see which they might have.

You might also check out 1911forum

There you will find people that have owned each of these, and probably some run across someone that has ALL of them.

1911 folk are picky, finicky, and opinionated. I know, as I am one. :)

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I build 1911's professionally.

I have Colt's.
I've rebuilt a number of new Kimber's. (Good barrels, frames and slides, but garbage MIM internals and add-ons)
Sig's are nothing more than a factory produced collection of different makers "high-end" parts. (Caspian frames and slides)
I've had a number of Springer's, they're my favorite after Colt's. If you go this route, the Range Officer is a really good package for the price. The Loaded Target model if you feel flush when ordering.

If I had to chose one out of the box, it'd be the Gold Cup. (Just replace that #$%^&^%$%^&^% roll pin in the rear sight with a solid one)

After that, the Springers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are you moving to Single Stck or Limited? If Limited youll have to go custom in order to have enough ammo capacity to be competitive. If going Single Stck youre limited to eight rounds anyway. And if that I like my Colt gold cup. Get some good chip Mccormick or Wilson mags and youre ready to go.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Money is a minor issue, but I don't want to jump into a custom 1911 just yet.
I understand money being an issue, but there are deals to be had on semi-custom 1911's right now. I recently bought a Wilson Combat for $850 and a Les Baer for $1235, and I have passed on a few other good buys. Keep your eyes on Gunbroker, and you can probably get more gun for your money than you think.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Are you moving to Single Stck or Limited? If Limited youll have to go custom in order to have enough ammo capacity to be competitive. If going Single Stck youre limited to eight rounds anyway. And if that I like my Colt gold cup. Get some good chip Mccormick or Wilson mags and youre ready to go.
Wilson mags...

See above.

We 1911ers are particular.

I've got a WC CQB elite on order, finally.

Will be interested to compare it to my EB.

Colt, every 1911 fan should own one.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've got a WC CQB elite on order, finally.

Will be interested to compare it to my EB.

Colt, every 1911 fan should own one.
I also have a WC CQB Elite, and it should stack up very well to your EB.

I completely agree that every 1911 owner should own a Colt, and I am in the process of buying a 1968 Colt lightweight commander.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I wouldn't get any of them. I would save my pennies and get a used Wilson CQB for about $1700-$1900 shipped. Far superior to anything on there. You will know the difference in the first magazine.

Get a 5" gun. Everything is better.

I have a CQB with 85k through it in 6 years. It's about ready to go back for a tune up (I keep saying that but I haven't done it yet because it's still running). WC customer service is the absolute best in the industry. Used guns have a peerless warranty.

These are good deals. Both of them are 6-7 years old. They use a different slide release, thumb safety, sights, grips, and the front strap cut is different now. Not better or worse, just different. The one with a mag well is preferable for a match gun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=245845081

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247333009

·
Learning All the Time
205 Posts
If you are serious about competing get a used .40sw STI Edge. In December or January is when you will get your best deal. You will frequently see people selling their complete competition rigs at incredibly low prices. If you are really tight on funds you can get a used Para for around $600.

The single stack guns are only competitive in single stack class.
1) Springfield is the best bang for the buck in single stacks.
2) Kimber's qualitiy has gone to s**t.
3) Wilsons are very overpriced imho. The mags are great.
3) No gun with series 80 fire controls or proprietary fire controls.

Your better off buying a less expensive gun, buying reloading components and practicing more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts