Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so we (my g/f, and i) are planning a camping trip (to happen in the next couple months). This will be my first ever camping trip as an adult i am 23 and have been camping a few times before but the supplies were provided as i was child.

now that i am an adult i have no clue on what we need, as far as camping supplies goes.
what do i need?
this trip will be for about 3-4 days so its not a very long trip but it will be a good learning experience.

trying to stay in a budget of $200 but can spend up to 300.

can you guys help me make a list we are trying to just get the basic supplies.

already have
3 person tent
axe
machete
paracord
small propane powered grill

need to get
a good small knife

what else do i need?

·
Registered
15 Posts
do you have sleeping pads and sleeping bags? a good night sleep is very important.

have a look at this link http://hikelight.com/gearlist.html personally I am a lightweight fan, but that's really not that important for you, so just replace the lightweight items with heavier and cheaper options. the list is a guide of the minimum gear you would like to keep to be fairly comfortable. adjust to your local climate and conditions of course.

also bring some comfort foods and tea/coffee you GF will thank you for that.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
ok so we (my g/f, and i) are planning a camping trip (to happen in the next couple months). This will be my first ever camping trip as an adult i am 23 and have been camping a few times before but the supplies were provided as i was child.

now that i am an adult i have no clue on what we need, as far as camping supplies goes.
what do i need?
this trip will be for about 3-4 days so its not a very long trip but it will be a good learning experience.

already have
3 person tent
axe
machete
paracord

need to get
a good small knife

what else do i need?
  • Yea get a small knife. Mora clipper is nice and inexpensive.
  • I would loose the machete or the axe. One or another. Heck if you can not burn wood in your area, just buy a folding saw.
  • Sleeping bags
  • Sleeping mats
  • Food
  • Water
  • Canteens or bottles
  • Map and compass
  • Backpack to carry items
  • Flashlight or headlamp
  • Cook set/utensil
  • First aid kit
  • Duct tape
  • Entertainment (cards, condoms, whatever)
  • LIGHTER
  • water purification

·
Stay the Course
471 Posts
Bring all types of alcohol. Get really wasted and dance around the fire! The first drunk to fall in wins!

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You are practically there if it's a developed camp site. Something to sleep on, something to cover up with. Easy to cook food. Most developed sites don't want you cutting down wood for fires. Either buy it there, or gather what's already on the ground. You could use the axe for splitting the wood you buy from the office. I like to use the Reliant water containers to cart water to campsites in. you can buy a 7 gallon one at walmart for less than 10 dollars. You can raid your own kitchen for cooking/eating supplies. Take some alcohol (if that's your thing), and some drinks that you guys like, probably need a cooler for that. Comfy chairs for sitting around the fire ring. Maybe a hammock you and your girl can lounge in, the ENO ones are nice and not very expensive. Check out whats around there to do. If it's a state park, probably hiking, some fun at the lake or what have you, and take things appropriate for those activities. If you have bikes and way to cart them to the site, that's also fun to do to check out the surrounding area. Get you a decent first aid kit, some bug spray, some sun screen. Stuff like that. Oh and put you together a good little DOP kit, so your girl can wash up and feel refreshed.

I don't think you'll have any problems staying in budget. You have all the big stuff, tent and stove. Just some odds and ends is what you need.

·
Historian & Archaeologist
1,535 Posts
pick either a machete or an ax no reason for both imo. when i backpack i just carry my gerber gator. it has a small fixed blade in the hilt.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Here's a link to another check list you might find helpful.Camping Life Checklist

For a sleeping pad, in a 3 man tent, in a developed camp site, I like the battery powered inflatable mattresses. Makes my wife feel like she is more at home than camping on a 2 inch thick sleeping pad. Plus she raids the linen closet for some old sheets and she has the smell of home as well. It helps her sleep better outdoors. Just make sure you measure the tent floor first so that your mattress fits. Set up the tent before hand to, so you can be sure you aren't missing anything when you get to the campsite; and you are familiar with how to set it up and there is no fiddling and frustration.

Have fun. That's what it's about. You don't have to spend a ton of money to have fun outdoors.

·
Here to learn
789 Posts
Aw shoot, you don't even need sleeping bags. Get a blow up mattress, take pillows and blankets and snuggle up. :) Make sure you take an extra blanket to put UNDER you because air mattresses conduct the cold from the ground up. Better yet if you have a foam topper.

Don't forget to take camp chairs. Since you're car camping, having a comfortable seat is a nice luxury.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
LIGHTS, either propane/fuel lanterns or battery lanterns. I would go with propane since you already have a propane stove. But battery types are nice to have inside the tent. Nylon has a nasty habit of sticking to you when it melts from gas lanterns.

Either way, you dont want to be stumbling around in the dark and a campfire wont lend much light unless its a big one. Wrong time of year for that.

Otherwise I think its pretty well been covered.

Bug spray, if youre where theres skeeters you will want that.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts

what do i need?

already have
3 person tent
axe
machete
paracord

need to get
a good small knife

what else do i need?
my advice take a nice bottle of wine and some good snacks to go along with it

convieniently forget to pack 2 sleeping bags or have two that can zip together the square ones can

and maby go to whole foods and pick up a 1 ounce bottle of pepermint oil and a small bottle of olive oil dump enough olive oil out that you can pour the whole bottle of peppermint oil in and give your gf a real good massage

make it especially the first camping trip something she and you will really enjoy then maby a little later try doing all the bushcrafty stuff but out the gate make it a romantic get away with your gf shell prol never complain about camping or outdoorsy stuff ever

id recomend a map
a cell phone
for a knife i like my woodsknife puuko there great and look good too

Amazon.com: Reindeer Puukko Knife: Sports & Outdoors

a cooler andsome ice for the food and drinks might be a good idea too

,arshmellows gramcrackers and hersheys bars are a must

but above all else even if you find your missing something or whatever dont stress it have fun and enjoy spending time with the gf

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
Since it is a car camping trip I would just bring a full size ax, radio, food, beer (That's me), tent, knife, first aid kit, blankets, pillows, rain poncho, fire building supplies, flashlight & lantern, few garbage bags, a cooler, a good book, and a small shovel.

I would have to bring our battery operated tent fan for my wife. Can not sleep without a fan going. Point being: if there is some thing that you need to help you get to sleep than bring it with. For some it is a fan, for others a radio, or whatever. I only mention this because you stated that you have not been camping in years. Wasn't sure if your girlfriend has or not.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
Mosquito repellent, first aid kit,

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Sleeping bags, mess kit, fuel for stove and means to start a fire, food and water, a first aid kit, flash light, maybe a pair of camp shoes like flip flops or some sandals.

What you need to take with you depends on what the weather will be like, ie you need a rainfly for your tent if it might rain. It also depends on what your plans are to do while you're camping. Will you hiking during the day? Swimming? Think about what you might do while on the trip and take along whatever you need for those activities as well.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Don't forget toilet paper. And sporks. These are the most forgotten items ever.

And be careful with the hatchet. Just ask any ER doctor that works at a hospital near backcountry how many hatchet injuries he sees a year. Those things make better weapons than tools.

And have fun!

Az

1 - 20 of 22 Posts