Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a power inverter to run tv, dvd player and an xbox 360. I have been looking around but I have never used one. I figured some of you have and could point me in the right direction as to what brand, what size I would need and where's the best place to get one. Do any of you know of an excellent power inverter that could do what I want and last at least for 5 years? Thanks.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
To run your TV and DVD player, you would need a 300-500W inverter (if your tv is not an LCD or large screen, in which case you would want to jump up to 1000W just to be safe). However, when you throw your 360 into the mix, that changes things.

First, your 360 is a VERY sensitive computer. If you were to run it off of an inverter, you would need to be certain you used a SINE WAVE inverter ONLY lest you wish to fry your xBox. The xBox is a huge power hog requiring 600 watts of clean sine wave power.

Second, your xBox actually runs on 12VDC. That big gray box in your power cord is an AC to DC power supply that converts your standard wall power into 12VDC at 16.5 amps. The best way to make the most efficient use of your battery power is to run 12V items directly. You could do this by getting an extra cord for the xBox and cutting it off and making a direct connection to your battery - if you do not know what you are doing with electronics, do not choose this route. Further, you must maintain a constant 12V - 12.5 V of power to keep from damaging your xBox so would need a DC to DC converter to maintain a constant output.

Third, you will need a substantial battery bank, or constant charging to keep up with the demand of the xBox and TV. These two together are a considerable power draw on a 12V system and if you are anything like me, the xBox is hard to stop playing once you start. As an example, my TV combined with my xBox draws 875 watts when running and would overwhelm my 750 solar array in short order and not leave any power for the other appliances.

I you are still considering doing this, you need to get a TRACE SW2512 (if you have a 12V system) or an Outback Systems inverter, or a Vanner IQC or similar, or a Xantrex Prosine 1000 or 1800, or (and the least expensive option) would be a Freedom HF 1000 or 1800 except I am not sure that this last one will not damage your xBox.

Don't hold me liable for any experimentation you may do. If you do not know what you are doing, JUST DON'T DO IT!

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Good advice, especially the last sentence.

All inverters produce some sort of sine wave. But you want a FULL sine wave inverter. Not a modified sine wave.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts