Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone who has the materials and know how to make animal hide clothing. I'm wanting deer hide breeches, boots, and a pull over parka similar to what the indians use to wear. I have fallen in love with my leather gloves that i use for backpacking and enjoy the warmth they offer, plus the water proofing. If anyone is able to make these and charges a reasonable amount of money please contact me.

What are your thoughts on animal hide clothing?

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
Unless you are looking for some tail I suggest staying out of the leather pants. Cotton cloth is much better. It: breathes better, stretches better, bags out less, holds less water, is easier to dry, is easier to repair, weighs less, is easier to clean. The North American Indians did not have a lot of access to weavable fibers and weaving is a lot more time consuming than tanning. Leather clothing was doing the best they could with the resources at hand.

Leather is the best thing you can make a boot upper out of but you should have proper boots; not moccasins. Again, these traditional items were the best they could do at the time. For someone who spent their entire life in footwear like that it was a little different; I am sure they had stronger ankles than most modern people. For serious foot travel I would take advantage of the support and protection provided by a good hiking (or combat) boot.

A leather jacket can be a bad or good depending on the situation. I have a great leather jacket that is tough as nails, warm, and very comfortable. I have changed tires, mucked through the mud, and collected firewood in it and it was great. However, these were temporary situations. I would not use a leather jacket for long term use. If you can not dry it properly you will get saddle rot and it will stink and fall apart.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you are looking for some tail I suggest staying out of the leather pants. Cotton cloth is much better. It: breathes better, stretches better, bags out less, holds less water, is easier to dry, is easier to repair, weighs less, is easier to clean. The North American Indians did not have a lot of access to weavable fibers and weaving is a lot more time consuming than tanning. Leather clothing was doing the best they could with the resources at hand.

Leather is the best thing you can make a boot upper out of but you should have proper boots; not moccasins. Again, these traditional items were the best they could do at the time. For someone who spent their entire life in footwear like that it was a little different; I am sure they had stronger ankles than most modern people. For serious foot travel I would take advantage of the support and protection provided by a good hiking (or combat) boot.

A leather jacket can be a bad or good depending on the situation. I have a great leather jacket that is tough as nails, warm, and very comfortable. I have changed tires, mucked through the mud, and collected firewood in it and it was great. However, these were temporary situations. I would not use a leather jacket for long term use. If you can not dry it properly you will get saddle rot and it will stink and fall apart.
First of all cotton is the stupidest thing you can wear during the winter or any season when backpacking. There is a saying among backpackers that is very true, "Cotton Kills."

Now I'm not talking about wearing a leather jacket like you'd wear around town or such. I'm refering to an animal hide parka. There is a reason they are heavily used in Alaska and Canada by hunters and packers.

Same with the breeches. I think what you are thinking of are leather clothing you see bikers and rockers wear. That is not what I was refering too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all cotton is the stupidest thing you can wear during the winter or any season when backpacking. There is a saying among backpackers that is very true, "Cotton Kills."

Now I'm not talking about wearing a leather jacket like you'd wear around town or such. I'm refering to an animal hide parka. There is a reason they are heavily used in Alaska and Canada by hunters and packers.

Same with the breeches. I think what you are thinking of are leather clothing you see bikers and rockers wear. That is not what I was refering too.
Amen for correction, I was really scratching my head there...

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts

Now I'm not talking about wearing a leather jacket like you'd wear around town or such. I'm referring to an animal hide parka. There is a reason they are heavily used in Alaska and Canada by hunters and packers.

Same with the breeches. I think what you are thinking of are leather clothing you see bikers and rockers wear. That is not what I was referring too.
Cotton Kills? Malarkey. Unpreparedness kills.

I believe I understand what you are looking for. I have been working with leather for years. The jacket I mentioned is similar to the parka you seem to be talking about; loose fitting, square cut, falling to the mid thigh, although it does not have a hood. It has served me well in rain, sleet, snow, and sub zero weather.

I am not sure where you get this mountain man fantasy of hide clothing. I live in Canada. I have traveled the length and breadth of this country many times over. I have spent lots of time outside in -20 degree weather. I have seen many of the indigenous peoples as well as the rural folk of all kinds. Not once have I ever seen one wearing buckskin pants.

What is the almost universal pant of choice for the Inuit people out on the ice hunting and fishing and the rural hunters out on the bush? Blue jeans. Denim made of cotton. What is the parka of choice? It used to be down but has switched to fleece. Are they dying in droves? No.

If hide clothing were any good why do you need to ask for help finding a place to buy them? Why is leatherbreeches.com a fantasy site? The only time anyone really wears this stuff is when they need a costume for the tourists or the Renaissance fair.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I look forward to your report on how it works out for you.

One suggestion for finding a source is independent cobblers. People who get into the trade for real (not some wage slave in a mall outlet) are often interested in all kinds of crafts including tailoring.

·
Intemporaliter Fidelis
282 Posts
I don't know about up north but amoung the woodland tribes most men wore just a breechcloth in the summer and added leggings, shirt and robe in the winter. most of the breechcloths were made of cloth woven of various plant fibers. Leggings were made of hairless hides. There are examples of shirts being made of cloth or hide. Most robes were made of hide and had hair left on.
Once the white man showed up many of their shirts began to be made of european cloth. While leggings and robe stayed pretty much the same.

Of course now most indians wear what everyone else wears.

Also mocassins wear out pretty quickly which is one reason most were of a low cut simple design. Someone who was good at their manufature could produce a pair pretty quickly. high top moccasins were not needed as leggings were ankle length.
I personally prefer mocassins because they are quiet and comfortable.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not trying to run off into the wildrenss looking like some native american from the 1800s, was just impressed with the quality of my gloves for keeping my hands warm, being flame retardent (to a point of course), and water proof. Figured a nice parka/tunic or breeches/leggings would be great to wear as an outer garment. Course I have synthetics for this.

Not sure where the moccasins came into play, as I don't think I ever mentioned those. Nor would i want them, I'm happy with what I got. All in all about only article i'd really like is the parka/tunic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.