Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a Spikes 16' mid-length upper on the way from AIM, and just ordered a Spikes complete lower from Brownells, and though I'm intending to scope it, i still should have some back-up rear sight.
I've been Googling around, and asked on another forum, and I apologoze, I should have come to you guys,first :D:.
Anyway, as it stands now I'm most leaning toward a flip-up rear sight,something that'll always be there in case of a problem iwth the primary optic, but am not against getting a bolt-on carry handle.
I'd really like to keep this as economical as possible, but I don't want to blow money on something I'm unhappy with, and have to do it again.
The Troy sights are nice, and well spoken of, but a little expensive.
LMT makes a nice sight, but I think it doesn't fold down, and is very expensive. I might as well just go with the carry handle.
The Magpul MBUS sights have their following, and while not thrilled, I'm not too concerned with the polymer construction. But they're a lot more expensive now than some older websites show them, and if $60 is the deal, well,that's close enough to the cost of one of the nicer ones to justify going that route.
So, I'm not only looking for advice, but links to sources with the best deals. As always, many thanks...........:thumb:

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
I have a yankee hill flip up rear sight too, but mine wiggles a bit when its deployed... does yours? I was thinking of sending it back, I'm not fond of the tiny bit of wiggle it has.

Reactions: MIL-DOT

·
I'll fix it
2,547 Posts
I made the mistake of getting the carry handle on my LMT's and now I wish I had just gotten the Troys.
The handle defeats the purpose of a BUIS because you have to remove it for optics so I still have to buy flip ups.
I considered the Magpul but, I don't really like the idea of a polymer sight.
I would like to get the Aimpoint Micro T-1 or some type of 4x Trijicon one of these days.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I have some ARMS 40 rear sights, SOME MI rear flip ups, Some YHM, A Troy, they are all great , the ARMS40 is my favorite

Reactions: MIL-DOT

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
Mil-Dot, the LMT sight is real nice but like you say it's expensive and doesn't fold down. I'm sure you know but a standard removeable carry handle can be cut to function just like the LMT but for much less money. I bought one from the AR15.com Equipment Exchange from a guy who did a real nice job cutting them. Cost was $40 and it was a true Colt carry handle with the Anchor Harvey forge mark.

Anyone handy with metal could cut down their own carry handle too and a little Durocoat to cover the shiny aluminum. Still of course the sight won't fold down but it's tougher than any flip up BUIS out there. Of course it gives you back enough rail to mount a red dot or scope.

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
Well I'm very partial to a carry handle because they are so flexible especially if you use the IBZ or RIBZ sighting methods. I also like the look of a carry handle.

IBZ: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22

more on IBZ and how to reindex the elevation wheel http://grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf

RIBZ: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=328143

With a simple reindexing of the elevation knob I can set it to 6/3 to have the standard US military 25/300 meter battlesight zero, or click down to 6/3-4 to have a 50 yard zero or click down two more clicks to have a 100 yard zero. Really handy!

Of course this also would work with a cut down carry handle or LMT sight or any sight that has the standard A2/A4 rear sight. And with these you still have a lot of rail available in front of the sight.

Military BZ: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m16a2/zero-and-m16a2-rifle.shtml

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
I picked up this one for mine;
http://www.botachtactical.com/maba60si.html

Its the MATECH 600m flip-up irons. This was developed at the Picatinny Arsenal and is the current military issue back-up iron sight.

Good enough for the Army, good enough for us lol.

I am going with a 16" mid-length as well; I traded my Saiga 7.62 for an Armalite AR15A4 - just waiting for the lower half to get to my FFL ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have used the magpul and they work perfectly fine...that having been said I sold the rifle with the magpul flip up sights and my new one has the troy flip up rear and it should be awesome.

I would go with what you feel like affording. Get either the Troy or the magpul. You can't go wrong with either one.

~Norinco

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
The fact that the Magpul are made out of plastic doesn't instill confidence in the durability/accuracy. I am all for a plastic stock, but not a sight.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again,guys. I'm still up in the air about scoping this rifle ( the ring issue is a PITA) but I knew it needed iron sights,regardless, so I ordered this fixed sight made by Daniel Defense, from Brownells, and it arrived this a.m.
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/16959-a1-5-rear-sight-daniel-defense.html
DD has a stellar reputation, and this little unit looks to me to be live up to it. $70 delivered in 48 hours,I'm happy, but I might have jumped on GOFO's MATECH had i seen it earlier .:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had kind of the same issue when setting up my AR. I bought a Larue QD scope mount (which is awesome by the way.) My rear sight was a YH flip-up, which I really liked, but folded it was too high to attach optics. After much looking around I went with a Midwest Industries SPLP, and have been very happy with it. It had the lowest profile, while keeping a normal design. I think the DPMS Mangonel has a lower profile, but I just didn't like it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.