Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my past time activities is researching Dutch military vehicles. And recently someone showed me this:
Self-propelled artillery Tank Photograph Combat vehicle White

This photo has been tagged with "1947", and has been taken in Indonesia. We clearly see a Dutch Universal Carrier here, but it's been given a rather large autocannon of some kind. I've never seen a "shroud" like that over the barrel of an autocannon of this size.
A friend of mine asked around another forum and managed to find another photo of the cannon, but sadly still no name for it.
Plant Military camouflage Air gun Machine gun Marines

So does anyone here have any idea what we are looking at? It's clearly belt fed, but also has that drum on top.
My first thought went to something like Oerlikon/Polsten. Or maybe even Madsen or Solothurn, but I doubt that since, from what I know, those were not used much in Indonesia.

·
Desperta Ferro!
2,314 Posts
Apparently it was German made, which would make sense, as the Dutch frequently used captured weapons. Basically, anything they could get their hands on to fight with. French, British, German, American arms...whatever was available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the shrouds on all those guns look similar, I know for a fact that it's not something that big of a caliber.

You can see on the photos that it's belt fed with rounds that look like they are around the 20mm caliber.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come to think of it, maybe it's an MG 151? Considering the German looking shroud.
But then again this was used in the Indies, and German equipment was not super common there.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Come to think of it, maybe it's an MG 151? Considering the German looking shroud.
But then again this was used in the Indies, and German equipment was not super common there.
1947 - all the former occupied Euros that lost their colonies were trying to get them back under control - and WW2 AXIS weapons were up for scrap value - the Dutchies probably inherited that gun and shipped it out ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still, I find the MG151 a bit unlikely. I don't know much about the details of autocannons.
That's why I asked here. Maybe someone reconises the gun, or maybe the drum on top.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cacti, I think you are correct.

This entire time, I've been thinking that the shroud was a water-cooled mechanism. I'm right.

I found this info & pics:

I'm not so sure on the water-cooling. The 20mm Hispano has been used as a static AA by the Dutch, and it was even put on some naval vessels for a time. And both options are always seen without a water-cooler because the Hispano did not need one.
Sky Vehicle Plant Grass Machine

Sky Aircraft Hat Aviation Vehicle

·
Registered
180 Posts
Very interesting photos and discussion. I have 4 theories on what it is. Looking at the rounds it is small calibre about 20 - 30 mm and not a big cannon (50 - 100 mm) as the front thickness suggest.

a, It could be a water cooled device, but don't see the water can anywhere or a air cooled device like the Lewis MG.
b. It could be a spotter rifle for the bigger low pressure cannon like the Wombat recoil less rifle, but the tripod looks too flimsy for a bigger caliber.
c. It could be decoy barrel, the same the Sherman tanks used by putting an extension pipe on the 75 mm barrel to imitate a 76 mm barrel.
d. Could be a recoil device to make it fit weak gun mountings and tripods.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Possibly, that could be a muffler / suppressor, air or water cooled shroud device. Just guessing, though.
I don't exactly see how the gun in question and the photo you are referring to have anything in common. The gun mounted in an aircraft engine has does not have something like this shroud.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts