Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TEXAS REBEL
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for some equipment that can recycle human carbon dioxide back into oxygen.They have them for the space station ( http://www.nova.org/~sol/station/life-sup.htm ) and was wondering if anyone knows of something that could be put into an underground bunker?I am interested in this in the case of SHTF and intruders onto property happen to find my fresh air supply and try to block it off to force me and others out of our safe location.I guess my Google-Foo is not up to par as can't seem to find anything that is made for civilian use?Any ideas or suggestions will be of great use in this dilemma.

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Sawgrass is one of the more efficient ways to process it. There are several other plants that are exceptionally efficient at it as well. Most of the other systems use some variant of the old Momsen lung rebreather chemistry, and simply soak up the carbon dioxide.

We aren't bound by the restrictions on plant chemistry and physiology that make it hard to handle the process in the space station. Hydroponic gardening has a nice way of adding more than nutrients to the environment....

·
TEXAS REBEL
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This would work if had room to grow in bunker.
Looking for something that can convert the carbon dioxide back to oxygen though in the case someone finds my fresh air intake and try to smoke me out.I can close it and still be able to have fresh air to breath for several days if necessary

·
Registered
14,214 Posts
Then the CO2 scrubbers are the way to handle the matter. ScribD has the military construction manuals available for download, and they give details. It ain't high-tech. If I had my other thumb-drive with me, I'd offer to load it to ya, but it's at the house.

Maybe next weekend....

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I have been looking for some equipment that can recycle human carbon dioxide back into oxygen.They have them for the space station ( http://www.nova.org/~sol/station/life-sup.htm ) and was wondering if anyone knows of something that could be put into an underground bunker?I am interested in this in the case of SHTF and intruders onto property happen to find my fresh air supply and try to block it off to force me and others out of our safe location.I guess my Google-Foo is not up to par as can't seem to find anything that is made for civilian use?Any ideas or suggestions will be of great use in this dilemma.
I think you read it incorrectly, Carbon Dioxide -CO2- does not turn back into Oxygen -O-. It is two different systems. One that creates the Oxygen and one that absorbs/filters the Co2.

Oxygen is made from water and electricity. Hydrogen is a byproduct also. The Co2 needs to be filtered out. This can be done with machine but more commonly chemicals or absorbers.

In your situation, you might as well store some scuba gear and O2 tanks.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Seems like a lot of money to me. Do you realize the amount of money that NASA dumps into the equipment to do this? This isnt exactly a system youre going to find in some survivalist shop in town. Most of it is probably custom built to the structure. Have you considered a cascade air compressor and air bottles?

Working in the oil field we occasionally drill in areas where hydrogen sulfide is a danger. In those areas we have to be provided with emergency air packs and bottles for every person on board. When the company sends that equipment to us it includes the tall bottles of compressed breathing air (enough for 200 people to breathe off the bottles for more than 7 hours) as well as a cascade air compressor system for refilling the bottles. Dive supply shops also have these systems for refilling SCUBA tanks.

Im sure something like that would be much closer to your price range, along with a bank of bottles, and could supply clean air as long as the earth still contains air to be breathed.
Another plus to using compressed air bottles is that when used in a properly sealed enclosure you will create a positive pressure environment in which outside contamination cant come IN. We use similar systems on the rigs to keep combustible gases from entering areas where unsealed electrical equipment (computers, electrical cabinets, living quarters, etc) could become an ignition source. As long as the pressure inside is higher than the pressure outside air is escaping, pushing gases/contamination out with it.

Youre still looking at thousands of dollars worth of equipment, but it would probably not be close to what a scrubber system would cost to install and maintain, especially for something that possibly may never happen.
This is what I found in just a Google on cascade systems.
https://www.breathingair.com/

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,534 Posts
This would work if had room to grow in bunker.
Looking for something that can convert the carbon dioxide back to oxygen though in the case someone finds my fresh air intake and try to smoke me out.I can close it and still be able to have fresh air to breath for several days if necessary
Chemical scrubbers can take CO2 out of the air. But it would be a complex and energy intensive operation to split the O2 off of the carbon. I don't think it's feasible. They don't even do that in space. Nor submarines where they have a large supply of power.

·
Conservative in LiberalNY
438 Posts
Hey chemist here, the "old school" way to do this is to scrub the air with lithium hydroxide... like the square peg in round hole cartridges they used in apollo 13...

http://chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/inorganic/LITHIUM HYDROXIDE MONOHYDRATE.htm

Ebay?

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,954 Posts
Chemical scrubbers can take CO2 out of the air. But it would be a complex and energy intensive operation to split the O2 off of the carbon. I don't think it's feasible. They don't even do that in space. Nor submarines where they have a large supply of power.
It is far easier to simply make fresh O2 from water, on a sub.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,337 Posts
Scrubbing the CO2 out is vital, because just a little CO2 triggers the need to breathe. In industry, an Amine system like MDEA would be used to adsorb the CO2 into solution and then the solution is pumped to a flash tower, and perhaps heated a bit to blow away the CO2, regenerating the amine. CO2 is an acid gas, so any caustic solution like NaOH, or KOH would likely remove it pretty well. But then you have to regenerate the "spent" caustic.

Plants make O2, but good luck getting enough plants to grow and work there magic in a bunker. I doubt that is practical.

Might be better to simply have a 2nd or 3rd inlet air pipe to the bunker and work on ways to camouflage it.

If you have your own nuclear reactor down there, you have the power to run an electrolysis unit, but otherwise, I think it uses more power than you could be sure of having in an emergency.

This is like a 10 year old thread.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
I think you read it incorrectly, Carbon Dioxide -CO2- does not turn back into Oxygen -O-. It is two different systems. One that creates the Oxygen and one that absorbs/filters the Co2.

Oxygen is made from water and electricity. Hydrogen is a byproduct also. The Co2 needs to be filtered out. This can be done with machine but more commonly chemicals or absorbers.

In your situation, you might as well store some scuba gear and O2 tanks.
Scuba gear would likely be more foolproof as well. Scuba is AIR, not pure oxygen. Pure oxygen starts to burn your lungs out after a while.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,337 Posts
Scuba gear would likely be more foolproof as well. Scuba is AIR, not pure oxygen. Pure oxygen starts to burn your lungs out after a while.
Scuba tanks don't last very long. How many minutes do you want to live?

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,217 Posts
a secondary exit/ air intake hidden a ta distance from the primary, a periscope or 2 that can be used to detect the tresspassers. come out fighting or die gasping. 1 you stand a chance, 2 you dont

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,936 Posts
Spent 6 years smelling like amine... submariners know it all too well we even had a song but I forgot most of it.

Amine what ya gona do... I think I,ll scrub some CO2

Anyway look into SAMMS Self Assembled Monolayers Mesoporous Supports. There was an article that submarines were looking into this as a solids based absorption system vs liquid. Looks like a sand and only requires a small amount of heat to release.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
34,337 Posts
What do all of these posts have to do with the title of this thread?
NEED HELP!!!! Re-Cycling Carbon Monoxide into Oxygen?

Well, I guess we were trying to help with the stated purpose of the question, which was how to maintain breathing air quality in a confined space if fresh air is cut off.
The Submariners have been doing this for the last 80 years or so , and hence relevent.

Asking the question that narrowly, dictates the solution, which I think is a difficulty. I am not aware of anything that will make that conversion without requiring a crazy high temperature catalyzed reaction process, or a rain forest. But if you have the answer, why not share it with the class?

The viable solution involves 2 separate processes. Removing the CO2 (not converting it to O2), and creating O2 from electrolytic dissociation of water.
Now if you want to conduct photosynthesis on a useful scale for breathing O2, in a dark underground bunker, the plants will make that conversion for you (indirectly, via water). But they need the Sun, water (or Brawndo) and a lot of room to grow, soil, etc. Not all that practical in an underground tank.

Now, if you have a high energy, vacuum ultraviolet laser, then you might be able to do this.

Also, the question as stated contains an error, as the desired conversion would be CO2 to O2, not CO to O2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts