Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an older Marlin 60 for $80 a couple days ago. This morning I brought it to the range and shoot 150-200 rounds with no problem and hit dead on at 50yrds.
After I field strip and clean it (It was very very dirty), to my horror, something went wrong. The bolt will not close shut, it stuck at 3/4 of the way. I brought the charging handle back and release then it will shut with pretty good speed, however, only a little bit of pressure on the handle with cause it stuck.
When it shut completely, I pull the trigger and the firing pin work. But it take a lot of force to pull the bolt back again.
Could you please help me identify this problem? Any input will be appreciated
My confession: I did messed up and bend the spring a little bit would this be the cause? How much for a new spring (Sportmen, Cabelas etc)
Thank you

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
I have one and it's still sitting in the closet. Mine is a 1960's glenfield. Basically the same rifle.

These guns are very touch and go sometimes and get dirty very quickly. After about 200 rounds they will start getting gunked up and begin to stove pipe. Make sure to clean the feed ramp till it shines.

Sounds like the spring. They are very flimsy and can bend easily. Replace the spring and you should be good to go. But be carefull! thoses springs are thin and can bend when reinstalling the bolt.

Like I said, Clean after about 150 to 200 shots.

They can be quite accurate little rifles. But are a pain at times.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The early model 60's had a bolt hold-open feature that operated by pulling the bolt left and right. It may not be all the way in or out, (I can't remember which is locked!)

·
Zomby Woof
14,293 Posts
The early model 60's had a bolt hold-open feature that operated by pulling the bolt left and right. It may not be all the way in or out, (I can't remember which is locked!)
Pulling the bolt back and pushing in on the handle locks the bolt back.

·
Zomby Woof
14,293 Posts
I just bought an older Marlin 60 for $80 a couple days ago. This morning I brought it to the range and shoot 150-200 rounds with no problem and hit dead on at 50yrds.
After I field strip and clean it (It was very very dirty), to my horror, something went wrong. The bolt will not close shut, it stuck at 3/4 of the way. I brought the charging handle back and release then it will shut with pretty good speed, however, only a little bit of pressure on the handle with cause it stuck.
When it shut completely, I pull the trigger and the firing pin work. But it take a lot of force to pull the bolt back again.
Could you please help me identify this problem? Any input will be appreciated
My confession: I did messed up and bend the spring a little bit would this be the cause? How much for a new spring (Sportmen, Cabelas etc)
Thank you
I got them online for about $3 a few years ago.
They're 5 bucks at Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=212212&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%20-%20Rifle%20-%20%28Factory%29-_-PriceCompListing-_-212212

Get 2 for each Model 60 you have.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
+1 on buy 2.

I recently got a model 795 (mag fed version) on my initial take down and cleaning I bent the spring. A handy buddy of mine was able to help me out and bend it back to where it worked. we had to wait a day to make sure it worked but it did. I then bought 3, just to be safe.

Great little rifles.

T

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received the spring yesterday from Midway, very satisfied with their website, however the problem seem persist. I'll run to a range next weekend to see how the gun does.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Model 60 some were mag,some tube feed,check the ejector to see if it's bent...if it has bolt hold-open,pull bolt bac,press in the charging handle.check your ammo feed,bent ear on mag.or feed throat.Does this happen when there is no ammo in the gun?...micro groove barrels made these little rifles pretty accurate...also check the bolt release lever if its tube feed...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts