Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... leaving me with NO TECH support lol.

So here is where I'm at:
I'm getting ready to start a mobile service company, so I need a Wif Fi equipped lap top, plus a decent Cell phone with camera capabilities.

Being in the public exposure - I get offered good deals - which I can later sell on eBay, IF I can produce a good enough photo to show potential customers.

BUT I don't want a long term contract - too much like debt, so are any of the Pay ahead phone services offer decent equipment.
If you need more details to make a answer, just ask.

And I thank you all in advance!:)

·
Conformist
2,744 Posts
.... leaving me with NO TECH support lol.

So here is where I'm at:
I'm getting ready to start a mobile service company, so I need a Wif Fi equipped lap top, plus a decent Cell phone with camera capabilities.

Being in the public exposure - I get offered good deals - which I can later sell on eBay, IF I can produce a good enough photo to show potential customers.

BUT I don't want a long term contract - too much like debt, so are any of the Pay ahead phone services offer decent equipment.
If you need more details to make a answer, just ask.

And I thank you all in advance!:)
If you want a great laptop that doesnt need to have the flashiest hardware go with the Lenovo Thinkpad X200 tablet. Its a notebook that has a rotateable screen that can twist around and fold down onto the keyboard making it into a tablet for mobile work. It can also include a fingerprint reader It does have wifi like you want. I am literally typing this message on one and it is a great notebook.

Thinkpad laptops including the X200 are like the AK-47's of notebooks. They are more relaible, more sturdy, and have a greater survivability than of any notebook I have ever used.

One of the unique qualities is they use a titanium frame in the laptop. Titanium being very light and very strong means that the laptop is incredibly sturdy. Ive dropped it, bashed it, hit it (by accident of course :D) more times than I can count. And I have not seen one crack on the darned thing. It is a nice 12 ish inch screen so the laptop is lightweight, compact, portable, and the batteries last me through the entire workday before I get home and throw it on the charger, and even by that time I still have a good 4 hours left of battery.

It does not have the flashiest hardware, but it is definitely above industry average. It is incredibly reliable, equipped with windows 7 standard, includes a pen that stores on the right side of the computer for easy storage. It also has two microphones and a webcame. Along with several buttons for the tablet computer operation. It also has the thinkvantage toolbox which no other company has in their laptops. It can get rid of problems in your laptop and do a multitude of other options and the interface is great for a none techy.

If your looking for a strong, reliable, and durable laptop that can go where you wanna go than take some time and check out the Lenovo Thinkpad X200.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Or a Mac. Much more user-friendly than a PC and is better optimized for storing and processing photos, since that appears to be an important part of your business model.

Oh, and Macs don't crash like PC's do and are practically invulnerable to virus's.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did consider a MAC

just because they are built in Taiwan. I avoid at all costs doing biz with China products as I hate commies...
But Honestly I don't think I have enough grey matter left to learn a new system - what with running a business & payroll and Taxes, & EPA & EEOC and OSHA & & & & &...
(insert sad face here)

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
just because they are built in Taiwan. I avoid at all costs doing biz with China products as I hate commies...
But Honestly I don't think I have enough grey matter left to learn a new system - what with running a business & payroll and Taxes, & EPA & EEOC and OSHA & & & & &...
(insert sad face here)
Taiwan is not a communist regime. It is a republic / democracy just as we have here in the USA.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
I'll stick with PCs. They're like old Chevy's, you can interchange parts like crazy. Parts are common as can be too, and scavenging will be easier.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
24,289 Posts
On the mobile phone/photo part of your question.... I can't think of any mobile phone that takes pictures worth saving, I am a semi-professional photographer though so I may be a little biased.... Since your going to be selling on ebay, I would sugeest you invest in a decent point and shoot camera, you will get better pictures, have less chance of connectivity issues with the laptop (my mobile phone does not like my laptop) and most point and shoot cameras have some editing software that comes on it or with it which will allow you to get even better photos of what your selling.

·
Conformist
2,744 Posts
Or a Mac. Much more user-friendly than a PC and is better optimized for storing and processing photos, since that appears to be an important part of your business model.

Oh, and Macs don't crash like PC's do and are practically invulnerable to virus's.
Both are totally false. First off, macs are not invulnerable to viruses, they are actually almost the opposite, they think they are invulnerable so no mac user gets antivirus. Hacking a mac is easier than a pc because pc's are more complicated. It's just that nobody wastes their time making viruses for makes because they know the vast majority of users use pc.

And Mac's do crash, the only reason they are more reliable is that Stevie simplified them down so far to the barebones there are few things that can fail. Unfortunately it means the amount of things you can do on a mac is laughable. Plus, they overcharge by a large margin.

That recent OS I think it's snow leoperd or something? It had a glitch where if you used a guest account it erases all of your files on any other account.

They aren't optimized for processing anything. You can't optimize computers to process day to day average photos or word documents because the fact is those are the most basic functions of a computer. If it cant do those already it means it is a failure of a computer.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Both are totally false. First off, macs are not invulnerable to viruses, they are actually almost the opposite, they think they are invulnerable so no mac user gets antivirus. Hacking a mac is easier than a pc because pc's are more complicated. It's just that nobody wastes their time making viruses for makes because they know the vast majority of users use pc.

And Mac's do crash, the only reason they are more reliable is that Stevie simplified them down so far to the barebones there are few things that can fail. Unfortunately it means the amount of things you can do on a mac is laughable. Plus, they overcharge by a large margin.

That recent OS I think it's snow leoperd or something? It had a glitch where if you used a guest account it erases all of your files on any other account.

They aren't optimized for processing anything. You can't optimize computers to process day to day average photos or word documents because the fact is those are the most basic functions of a computer. If it cant do those already it means it is a failure of a computer.
Sorry. Untrue and I strongly disagree.

Mac's DO crash once in a while, but not to the extent that PC's do.

As for virus's, I work with many video editors, they swear by Mac's, and never have virus problems. Macs are the standard in Hollywood for many movie, TV and graphics projects. Also for still photographers.

I know two VERY experienced IT guys who both agree with my statement on crashing and virus's. I'll go by their proven expertise.

·
Spunky Curmudgeon
1,310 Posts
I build my own. I have a very nice PC with Windows 7. It has crashed once in 6 months. Programs stop responding more often, but that is more likely about the programmer of that software.

·
Conformist
2,744 Posts
Sorry. Untrue and I strongly disagree.

Mac's DO crash once in a while, but not to the extent that PC's do.

As for virus's, I work with many video editors, they swear by Mac's, and never have virus problems. Macs are the standard in Hollywood for many movie, TV and graphics projects. Also for still photographers.

I know two VERY experienced IT guys who both agree with my statement on crashing and virus's. I'll go by their proven expertise.
Ill guide you to a website with hundreds of advanced computer users and they will all back up my statement about viruses.

Just last week a virus was found that could take complete and total control of macs, and it had been operating for more than several weeks before apple actually admitted it existed.

Macs are just as fundamentally easy to hack as a pc, end of story. There is no OS that prevents hacks, its just that hackers prefer different OS's to hack because of their popularity. If Macs were more popular than the vast majority of viruses would be made for hacks.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Ok for laptop it really comes down to what you need... allot of them you dont need much at all depends on what programs/moblie service you plan on doing... for phone... you can use your phone hooked into the laptop for intrnet.. So that can take care of that... heck even some phones can replace the laptop... from scaning barcodes to emails surfing the web downloading stuff ect... some people just use cell phones instead of a laptop.. You can charge cards to a phone and get paid electronically... Credit cards ect through a phone...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.