Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fairly new (2018) SuddenLink modem that supposed to have Wifi, but I apparently need to hook it up to my computer. The cable box (modem) has 4 Lan/Ethernet outlets, but my toshiba tecra computer has a different one, sort of square like. I only have one cord hooked up to the box (aside from the cable) and both ends look like a phone cord. I don't have a phone.
My question is, do I need a wifi router to go in between the cable box/modem or can I hook it up direct?

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
I have fairly new (2018) SuddenLink modem that supposed to have Wifi, but I apparently need to hook it up to my computer. The cable box (modem) has 4 Lan/Ethernet outlets, but my toshiba tecra computer has a different one, sort of square like. I only have one cord hooked up to the box (aside from the cable) and both ends look like a phone cord. I don't have a phone.
My question is, do I need a wifi router to go in between the cable box/modem or can I hook it up direct?
A couple of things, there are modems, wireless gateways which are a modem and wireless router in one and then there are wireless routers which connect to a modem in order to provide wifi

If your "suddenlink modem" has 4 ethernet ports on the back then it is likely a wireless gateway. Is the Toshiba a desktop PC or laptop? Most desktops have an ethernet port but if its newer it may also have a wireless adapter in it too which means you can connect it to a wifi network. If its a laptop it has a wireless adapter in it, if you do not have an ethernet port on your Toshiba then simply connect it to the wifi network that the "suddenlink modem" is broadcasting, the wifi network name is typically on the wireless gateway itself along the password or "security key"

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a laptop. Suprisingly I understood all that, lol. The computer has one ethernet port running to the box. The man who installed it said I have wifi and everthing indicates I do, but how Suddenlink explains it, I'll need a router. Worst comes to worst, I might have make a trip to their office. Thing is, I don't want to buy something I don't need.
I'll try to do the wifi password or security key thing first. I may already have it in my paperwork, which is buried in a box or file :xeye:.

Meanwhile, might you explain how to create a link? Should know this, but I don't :eek:.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
First things first: you have working internet when you connect with an ethernet cable, right? So that is not an issue?

In the recent years many operators put the WiFi name/password on a sticker underneath the box, same place where the serial number is. So that's where I would look first.

If you would also find model number for the Suddenlink box, there is probably online manual somewhere. That would help a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the recent years many operators put the WiFi name/password on a sticker underneath the box, same place where the serial number is. So that's where I would look first.

If you would also find model number for the Suddenlink box, there is probably online manual somewhere. That would help a lot.
Yep, both are there, thanks for the reminder :D:.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Not really helping with an answer, but better to hardwire eithernet vs WiFi. From what I understand, WiFi can only xmit or receive data, not both at the same time, unlike a hardwire connection. That and you lose about 50% of your speed over WiFi.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
It's a laptop. Suprisingly I understood all that, lol. The computer has one ethernet port running to the box. The man who installed it said I have wifi and everthing indicates I do, but how Suddenlink explains it, I'll need a router. Worst comes to worst, I might have make a trip to their office. Thing is, I don't want to buy something I don't need.
I'll try to do the wifi password or security key thing first. I may already have it in my paperwork, which is buried in a box or file :xeye:.

Meanwhile, might you explain how to create a link? Should know this, but I don't :eek:.
If you're referring to pasting a link into a post that is easy. Pull up the website you want to have a link to in your post move your mouse curser over the address bar of the browser that has the website address you want to display the link to in your post, click the right mouse click button on your mouse and choose "copy" from the right mouse click menu. Place curser into your post, click right mouse button and choose "paste" and that is all there is to it.

I work for the largest internet service provider in the US as an RST (remote service technician) troubleshooting customer's problems with internet so I'm used to explaining things in an understandable manner

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Not really helping with an answer, but better to hardwire eithernet vs WiFi. From what I understand, WiFi can only xmit or receive data, not both at the same time, unlike a hardwire connection. That and you lose about 50% of your speed over WiFi.
That is not much of a problem with modern devices.

Speed will not be an issue most of the time either, link between your computer and router can be 800mpbs, while your internet speed is 50mbps. Using wifi won't halve it to 25.

I don't worry if I only get around 10% out of my gigabit fiber with laptop's wifi. It's still around 100mbps. My desktops are wired anyways and top that 1000mbps almost any time, it is the speedtest sites that are too slow. :D:

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're referring to pasting a link into a post that is easy. Pull up the website you want to have a link to in your post move your mouse curser over the address bar of the browser that has the website address you want to display the link to in your post, click the right mouse click button on your mouse and choose "copy" from the right mouse click menu. Place curser into your post, click right mouse button and choose "paste" and that is all there is to it.

I work for the largest internet service provider in the US as an RST (remote service technician) troubleshooting customer's problems with internet so I'm used to explaining things in an understandable manner
Thank you, really :D:. I'm not computer savvy, only know some basics. My youngest son tried to teach me years ago, but I didn't think I'd ever get/need a computer...now I own 3, lol. Need wifi to use one of those. Thanks again :).

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
That is not much of a problem with modern devices.

Speed will not be an issue most of the time either, link between your computer and router can be 800mpbs, while your internet speed is 50mbps. Using wifi won't halve it to 25.

I don't worry if I only get around 10% out of my gigabit fiber with laptop's wifi. It's still around 100mbps. My desktops are wired anyways and top that 1000mbps almost any time, it is the speedtest sites that are too slow. :D:
Interesting. Well, most of my customers can only subscribe to services of between 1.5 - 100mb speed wise. Nine out of ten times when I run a speed test over WiFi, they are receiving between 50-60% of their subscribed speed, I run hundreds of tests per year for different customers. ISP is one of the largest in the world and even they say their WiFi speeds aren’t guaranteed.

I’m nowhere near an expert, but sounds like what you are saying is that all you need to do to get your full WiFi speed is to just upgrade to a faster aftermarket router, an additional expense and a hard sell in my line of work.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My own laptop is several years old. It struggles to get 100mbps on speedtest. My work laptop tests 175/115mbps on wifi.
I just tested with my 2018 iPad: 336/204mbps on my home wifi.

900mbps on this old desktop with Win10, wired. So yea, between 30% to 10% of my advertised 1000mbps speed.

My wifi router is a separate Asus box (RT-AC68U), it is not some low end cheapo card integrated into modem that comes free from the operator. Actually I dont even have a modem anymore, since I got fiber there is just a network plug on my wall.

Also wifi speed varies greatly if you are standing next to the wifi box vs. if there is several walls between. That's why only the speed you get from the wall plug matters. If it is much less than paid for isp has a problem. Otherwise it can be cured with dumping the old stuff and getting new and shiny computers :D

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
My own laptop is several years old. It struggles to get 100mbps on speedtest. My work laptop tests 175/115mbps on wifi.
I just tested with my 2018 iPad: 336/204mbps on my home wifi.

900mbps on this old desktop with Win10, wired. So yea, between 30% to 10% of my advertised 1000mbps speed.

My wifi router is a separate Asus box (RT-AC68U), it is not some low end cheapo card integrated into modem that comes free from the operator. Actually I dont even have a modem anymore, since I got fiber there is just a network plug on my wall.

Also wifi speed varies greatly if you are standing next to the wifi box vs. if there is several walls between. That's why only the speed you get from the wall plug matters. If it is much less than paid for isp has a problem. Otherwise it can be cured with dumping the old stuff and getting new and shiny computers :D
I typically run the speed test via WiFi within 10 feet of the ISP’s supplied modem which consist of several different types and brands.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm happy to report I made my very 1st "link" just moments ago :D:. I was sure I'd goof up and I did, lol. I'm so used to clicking the left side (mouse) when I should have clicked right. Important thing is, I did it :thumb:.
Kalashnikov47: Thanks again for your help :D:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts