Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Survivalist!
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I know this is kinda repetitive, but this question is tailored for me specifically, so other threads couldn't quite answer it.

My Dilemma:
I have a good small folding knife already, its a Schrade IHEA model

I really like the idea of Nessmuck's trinity, where instead of some big ole gigantic knife you just carry a hatchet and a reasonable fixed blade; but at the same time I really want a big ole knife...:D:

If I were to go the trinity route, I think I would get the Gerber Sport Axe:

And then I would need a reasonable sized fixed blade knife...Which I cannot decide on. There are just so many options:D:

OR I could get a Ka-Bar Kukri instead of the hatchet...

Or I could just get the 14.5 inch Ka-Bar heavy bowie and use that as an axe and a fixed blade!

Or I could just say screw it and get all of them!!!!!!!!:D::thumb:

Help me decide, the options are overwhelming me!

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
if you can get them all... get them all!

I had a very good khukri and I did not like it very much. I much preferred my heavy 'traditional' Gerber Bowie. it was much more useful for most things but I never did get to test both at beheading...

I really like the idea of the trinity too. but I think it is more for the camping/woodcraft kind of setting. for the bug out/SHTF go go go you are not going to be sitting on a log smoking your favorite navy plug much.

$0.02

·
Survivalist!
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See...I cant really afford to get them all, thats the problem. I mean, I could, but it wouldnt be the smartest thing for me to do...

·
Survivalist!
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get both the 14.5 inch bowie, and the gerber sport axe, shipped to me, for 77$. I have an old schrade fixed blade that I think I can make do with... Do you think this is a good deal?

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
considering the MSRP for the Ka-bar is $69 you will probably not find it much cheaper

the folder is fine but the axe and knife do not really fit the bill. I would wait for a while and see if some of the real Nessmuk fans here will comment

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the Gerber hand axe, and it is very useable, durable and fairly light weight as well. The Schrade fixed blade you have is probably a 4-5 inch blade with a leather washer handle if it is what I have,. They are very good hunting /camping knives, good steel and take a good edge, they are just butt ugly and not very sexy <G>. With the folder you already have, that gives you the basics. If you really want a large bowie go ahead , but a good two or three blade pocet knife or a multi tool might be good investments as well.

GreyOne

·
Registered
439 Posts
This one's easy. Ask yourself what you want to do with the tools. Since you mentioned Nessmuk, I'm assuming you're looking to do some camping/bushcraft and are looking for outdoors tools. Then ask yourself how much weight you want to carry.

Personally, I would not carry just one big ole knife unless it were absolutely necessary (though I do incorporate one into my trinity). Why? While a big knife can handle many of the tasks a small knife can handle (albeit sometimes crappily), it's always best to use the right tool for the job. My philosophy is to assess what I need to do and then figure out which tools will do that, while keeping the number of tools to a minimum, and without loosing capability.

That's why my trinity consists of:

1) 9.25" flat-spined leuku knife (large outdoor knife)
2) 3.75" flat-spined Mora knife
3) Opinel saw (I will most likely be replacing this with a longer saw for larger tree felling)

With these three tools, I can fell dead trees, cut them into batonable logs, baton them into any size sticks/logs, make feather sticks, carve tools/implements as well as things like strike a firesteel, skin game etc. etc. etc. Can these tasks be done with fewer tools? Yep. But not as easily/efficiently.

Now, if you want to save money, no problem. You could get these three tools pretty cheap. For example: Ontario SP5 seems like a good large knife based on reviews ($45), any of the carbon steel Moras (from $10 up) and just about any half-way decent bow saw from your hardware store (say $10 - $15) would work.

The important thing is to experiment, talk to people and think about what would work best for you. There are infinite possibilities.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Go for the giant knife and give me that useless little folder that is not so giant!!!

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Well, the hatchet is much less likely to be confiscated than the kukri.....I still say get a hatchet, a multi-tool, and a game sized fixed blade (4-6 inches).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.