Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Noman
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Firearms General Discussion forum but I'll post it here too. I welcome your thoughts/input.

Last week I decided to get an M1 Garand with my tax return. I went to CMP and looked at their Service Grade SA rifles. I had pretty much made up my mind on one of those until I saw an add for this one.

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=179884

A local guy is selling his late uncles Garand. I called him up and he lives close by. He is asking $925.00 for this HRA model. He claims it's excellent condition. He doesn't know much about rifles other than that. I asked him if it was all matching and he said he didn't know. He said he's not a firearms enthusiast and is just looking to sell the rifle for his aunt. The rifle in the pictures is what is for sale. It looks gorgeous. I was wondering. Do you all think $925.00 is a good price for this rifle?

Also, I won't be able to do anything until I get my tax refund. Unfortunately I am also very impatient when it comes to guns and $925.00 is out of my price range versus the $625.00 for a SA CMP service grade. I have a Marlin 336W with a Redfield 3-9x40 scope that is pretty much a safe queen. I've fired less than 50 rounds through it. I was thinking about maybe just selling it and then using the tax refund to make up the difference on the HRA. I don't like waiting and 60 days would seem like an eternity to me to wait on a Garand. What do you all think? Should I just wait and buy from CMP? or go ahead and sell the Marlin and make up the difference when the cash gets in and go local with the HRA?

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Yes, that seems like a fair price for a HRA in that condition.

The HRA is post WW2. That means nothing bad unless you were set on having a WW2 baby. They are also considered to be the best made Garands.

You can actually hold and examine this rifle before laying down the cash. You won't be able to do that with a mail order CMP rifle.

Unless the HRA was totally shot out, you will always get your money back in resale.

I'd go for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.