Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i got my first lowish tech peice of hunting equipment, a bow!! I purchased a Older martin archery Proseries elite fury. (m-82 i think). Its a nice bow, as is my first personaly owned bow. I shot bows a lil back in boy scouts 15+ years ago but never since then.

Now, this bow is in unfired condition, the owner bought it, then never shot it. I bought it for $100. I took it to gander mountain, and its current draw weight is set at 50lbs(which is good, i can draw it comfortably, but i want to shoot it and get my strengthy up before i try to get it higher) and the bow tech there waxed the strings for me. The issue im having is that it is according to him .5-1" inch to long in the length of pull. He saw no way to adjust the LOP on the cams and said he didnt know how to adjust it. Now when i pull it, its not very uncomfortable and the peep on the string lines up with my eyes and the sights great. There is another shop about 15mins from my home that is a dedicated bow shop, should i take it there and see what they say? Or should i just shoot it as is, seeing as its not that far out for me?

Lastly what about arrows? He told me to go with 340 arrows either aluminum or carbon fiber. He said any heavier and it would be to stiff. Now, what about the materials? Is carbon fiber superior to aluminum? At that gander mountain i can get a pack of 12 aluminum arrows for $44-$49 or a pack of 6 carbon fiber for $44-$50.
I was tempted to get the aluminum ones for there affordability and the fact i get 12 of them.

Edit to add, it has a 3 prong Truglow fiber optic sight on it, with a optional light.

Do many of you here bow hunt small game with your bows? Is it as productive as when you use a shot gun, or just for fun with low numbers of game brought home?

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Carbon fiber arrows are better but they are a bit more expensive. I generaly use aluminum for practice, CF for hunts and sometimes ill make my own wood arrows if im feeling really traditional. This year im planning on going on a weekend hunt with only my knife and and clothes to see how i do. should be fun :)

I dont hunt with guns, have, but i just feel like im cheating. I hunt instinctivly so i cant say much in the way of all the fancy sights and other gear but I can bag as much as I want. Most times when i hunt rabbit or grouse i can take two or three before the gig is up and they scatter, so yes, i would say its more productive than a firearm.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Lastly what about arrows? He told me to go with 340 arrows either aluminum or carbon fiber. He said any heavier and it would be to stiff. Now, what about the materials? Is carbon fiber superior to aluminum? At that gander mountain i can get a pack of 12 aluminum arrows for $44-$49 or a pack of 6 carbon fiber for $44-$50.
I was tempted to get the aluminum ones for there affordability and the fact i get 12 of them.
Either will work just fine. Personally I use carbon. I started out with aluminum for much the same reason your suggesting. When I got better I transitioned to carbon. Man what a difference! I find them to be more durable than aluminum. Now you can straighten bent aluminum arrows but its difficult to truely get them straight again. If you mushroom a tip you can usually trim the arrow a tad and salvage it if the damage isnt too bad. Carbon wont bend but it can shatter/break. I havent been able to do this but I havent tried shooting any brick walls with them either. I have missed on a shot, one that would have surely ruined a aluminum arrow and the carbon arrow survived to be shot another day. In other words I have buggered up very few carbon arrows compared to aluminum. Carbon arrows are very light and thus much faster than aluminum arrows of equivilent spine. As such they shoot a little flatter trajectory wise. After making the switch to carbon, I dont know what took me so long to come around to the higher technology, but I wished I would have jumped on board from the get go. If you shop around you can get a dozen arrows for not that much more than aluminum.

Edit to add, it has a 3 prong Truglow fiber optic sight on it, with a optional light.
A three pin set up is plenty good enough for hunting. I have been bow hunting for years and I dont think I have ever shot beyond 40 yards unless I was at the archery range. Set your pins for 20, 30 and 40 yards and it should serve you well. The only thing I would suggest is identify the sight you have and buy a set of spare pins so you can quickly and easily replace them in the field at the drop of a dime.

Do many of you here bow hunt small game with your bows? Is it as productive as when you use a shot gun, or just for fun with low numbers of game brought home?
Yes I do. I get a few rabbits and squirrels every year with mine. Its no wheres near as productive as a shot gun unless your an exceptional shot. I am good but I still miss targets that small plenty. Its a great challenge though. I also hunt Turkey, Feral Hogs and Deer with my bow too. I dont feel that its as effective of a collection method as a gun. As a bow hunter you generally have to get closer, be quieter, be better camoflaged, and be mindful of wind and scent much more so than when using a gun. Bow hunting will make you a much better hunter than you would with a gun becuase you have to pay attention to detail and its less forgiving when you dont.

The biggest advantage I see with archery is that a well tuned bow is very silent. Unlike a gun I dont have to let everyone in the next county know I just took a shot at game. This can be pretty handy too, as often I hunt wood lots that are close enough to the city to cause issues for someone hunting with a gun legally. As such I often get hunting oppertunities that most cant take advantage of. Farmers that are a bit leary of alowing someone on their property with a gun to remove problem Feral Hogs have little reservations in allowing a bow hunter on their property to control the population. Again more close by oppertnities to hunt I wouldnt other wise get. A couple of pounds of chops or sausage for the land owner on the return trip keeps the palms greased and ensures I will get another future invite.

The other thing I like about archery, is I can practice just about anytime I want. I dont have to go to the gun range...just step out in the back yard, get in the stand and shoot a couple of dozen shots after work before dinner time. The neighbors are usually clueless. Cant do that in the suburbs with a 7mm Rem Mag! And lets face it, generally speaking, the more you practice the better you get.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about wood arrows? I read you cant use them becuase they would shatter if you shot them from a bow, is this true?

I thought about getting a traditional bow, but i shot them in the scouts and could never figure out how to aim it. My targets looked like i shot it with a shot gun.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
What about wood arrows? I read you cant use them becuase they would shatter if you shot them from a bow, is this true?

I thought about getting a traditional bow, but i shot them in the scouts and could never figure out how to aim it. My targets looked like i shot it with a shot gun.
compound bow no ou cannot use them...traditional long bow or recurve will allow you to make your own. I choose to mainly use my long bow to hunt as kind of a prepping thing but now i jsut enjoy it more than any other method.

The ONLY reason i have my two compound bows is because one was my first bow and the other is an old PSE that is worth more to just keep as a backup. Im not a fan of compounds for any "shtf" preps or work becuse of all the parts and maint. they require.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
Kframe, you're draw-length will increase the more you practice.

Also, if you decide to go to a mechanical release-aid, that'll get you another inch easily. It's more accurate than shooting fingers, but it's one more piece of gear you'll have to keep track of. I shoot with a release.

Since you're just starting out I'd tell you to get the aluminum arrows. I till shoot Easton XX78's. When I lose one it doesn't hurt the wallet as much as it would if I lost a carbon. I shot 2 turkeys and a coyote this year and bent/broke a total of 5 arrows (2 each for the turkeys). That would have sucked so much worse if they were carbons.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve, he said the LOP was .5 -1" to long. He measured it with a Release thing on my arm. Tho it wasnt to uncomfortable. Im kinda doped, i realy want to get into this.

I still wana try traditional bows tho. SOmething about them just looks good. Tho i dont like the idea of shooting recurves. Im from european heritage, not asian. THo recurves look really beautifull.

Question regarding old bow man from england during the bows hayday. I know that english war long bows topped out at 180lbs or more draw weight. THe question is, did they use that weight when out hunting what ever game was allowed to be hunted by the kings?( Like you couldnt hunt the kings deer or some such). Or did they use a lighter bow for hunting? Im intrigued by traditional bows, and will own one some day. Just gotta figure out how to shoot the darn things..

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Im intrigued by traditional bows, and will own one some day. Just gotta figure out how to shoot the darn things..
Yup it’s all just practice and repetition to gain that muscle memory. Getting the form perfect and doing me exactly the same every time. I don’t use sights or a fancy arrow rest. my bows all do have a shelf but that’s it. I love ‘em that way. Simple and deadly.

I do everything from bow fish on up to deer around here and hopefully an elk someday.

As for what the old english used for hunting; i really dont know for sure but mine is 65 lb, i my uncle-in-law uses a 75lb recurve for deer and elk...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I had a long bow for many years and had a home improvised sights.

I had a crimp on Nok Set on the bow string about 3 inches above the arrow Nok Set on arrow position.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/String+Nocks_c0_s0_p0_i4151X_product.html

Then i had different color map pins pushed into the wood of the bow just above the arrow shelf that were set so i could line up the target at different ranges
http://compare.ebay.com/like/300414490288?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Worked good.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
kframe;2924680[B said:
]Steve, he said the LOP was .5 -1" to long[/B]. He measured it with a Release thing on my arm. Tho it wasnt to uncomfortable. Im kinda doped, i realy want to get into this.

I still wana try traditional bows tho. SOmething about them just looks good. Tho i dont like the idea of shooting recurves. Im from european heritage, not asian. THo recurves look really beautifull.

Question regarding old bow man from england during the bows hayday. I know that english war long bows topped out at 180lbs or more draw weight. THe question is, did they use that weight when out hunting what ever game was allowed to be hunted by the kings?( Like you couldnt hunt the kings deer or some such). Or did they use a lighter bow for hunting? Im intrigued by traditional bows, and will own one some day. Just gotta figure out how to shoot the darn things..
I'm sorry. I misread that. Then the more you shoot the longer it (draw-length) may get. Is there a possibility of putting a shorter string on the bow? I had the opposite problem with my wife's bow. Her's was too short for her so I put a longer string on it. She shot it just fine. Not something I would normally recommend but for an inch or less it shouldn't cause too many problems. May have to check the timing of the cam-rollover but that's not a hard fix.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
BTW ant not really on topic so forgive me...I did watch a vid where a guy gutted 550 and replaced the inner with bow string, the 500 shell served as serving and he then made it into his "survival braclet"...cool stuff, i may try it someday. For now i just keep a 50' hank of bow string in my survival kit.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, i got a email back from martin archery and there is nothing they can do for the bow either. I just drew it back, and if dont hold my upper body right, i can draw it all the way to my ear.(midievil style, cant see the peep tho.) Tho i can adjust my self so that the peep ends up close to my frontal cheek, and the peep lines up with my eye and the bow seems like its in full extension and cammed over.

What should i do? Get the arrows and sight in and try to shoot it? or put it up for a wall hanger and save up for anew compound bow? If i should go new, who makes a Good, well respected compound, that is draw length adjustable and weight adjustable that is affordable?

Or i could just say Fark it and get a trad bow....

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Well, i got a email back from martin archery and there is nothing they can do for the bow either. I just drew it back, and if dont hold my upper body right, i can draw it all the way to my ear.(midievil style, cant see the peep tho.) Tho i can adjust my self so that the peep ends up close to my frontal cheek, and the peep lines up with my eye and the bow seems like its in full extension and cammed over.

What should i do? Get the arrows and sight in and try to shoot it? or put it up for a wall hanger and save up for anew compound bow? If i should go new, who makes a Good, well respected compound, that is draw length adjustable and weight adjustable that is affordable?

Or i could just say Fark it and get a trad bow....
...sell it and get one that fits you.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CPL, If it dosent fit me. it wont fit anyone who buys it either. It would be just passing a problem on down the road. Im going to buy some arrows and targets and see how it is to shoot it. If shooting it turns very innacurate and or uncomfortable, then ill consider selling.

Its kinda disapointing really, i bought it for a song and only to find out theres no more parts available to it. Its in great condition, maybe if i sell it i could specify only people with long LOP's.

So my next move is to shoot it, if it turns out ok and not uncomfortable and innacurate ill keep it till i can afford a new one. If not, ill put it up for sale on the ad papers.

Does anyone make bows in the $200 range that is respected and quality? Thats about my price range sadly.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
CPL, If it dosent fit me. it wont fit anyone who buys it either. It would be just passing a problem on down the road. Im going to buy some arrows and targets and see how it is to shoot it. If shooting it turns very innacurate and or uncomfortable, then ill consider selling.

Its kinda disapointing really, i bought it for a song and only to find out theres no more parts available to it. Its in great condition, maybe if i sell it i could specify only people with long LOP's.

So my next move is to shoot it, if it turns out ok and not uncomfortable and innacurate ill keep it till i can afford a new one. If not, ill put it up for sale on the ad papers.

Does anyone make bows in the $200 range that is respected and quality? Thats about my price range sadly.
I'd get another that fits me as it should.

It very well may fit someone else. My buddy and I are about the same height, build and stature and his draw-length is 1.5 inches longer than mine.

If you can, save for another bow. And if you'res eriously thinking about a traditional bow, then go straight to that. Personally, I don't think you can have too many bows. I own 10 right now. I have 2 recurves, 3 longbows and 5 compounds. And I'd have more if I could. ;)

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts

Yup, that’s my price range too and I’m hearing excellent things about Quinn Bows, their website is down :( but you can still send them an e-mail. Bows are just like guns though...most of the time you get what you pay for. I will probably end up saving adn jsut getting a Fred Bear. They are only about $100 more...

I’m not sure if they make compound bows though...

The thing with bows is there are very specific size requirements so anybody looking for a bow will be looking for their specs. If you do shoot it and find it not to work then I would just list it with its specs and explain the situation. I promise there is someone out there with that draw length, is maxed out on its adjustment range?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apparently this, bow was designed to have the LOP adjusted by putting in different cams. Seeing as its over 11 years old, martin no longer makes those cams. Im gonna put it up for sale. No sense in trying to fit my self to a bow that is set up for someone else. Im kinda disapointed tho. Back when these bows were new, they were some of the fastest and accurate bows you could get. At least according to the old articles i was reading.

Next time i go to Gander mountain, im going to write down the models they have in the $200-$300 range, and do the same at the local archery store as well. Im bound to find something that is decent.

CPL According to what i saw on gandermountains website, fred bear does make a compound bow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts