Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to keep similar ammo vs having 20 different calibers and wanted to add a .308 cal assault weapon to my collection.

Can anyone offer some good suggestions and about what I should expect to pay for it at a gunshop?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Springfield M1A. Its the cadillac of semiauto .308's.Depending on which model you get its between $1300-$2500 rough guess.If you go this route my suggestion to you is get the standard model.It will handle up to 168grn. www.44mag.com has the mags in stock.And make sure to get spare parts.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Another recommendation for m1a socom, scout, standard... any flavor all good :). If you are on a budget for a decent semi auto .308 rifle Saiga .308... FN-Fal is good as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently lucked into an FAL for $600.00. The going price averages around $1100.00-$1200.00 even for Century Frankenfals. Any way you slice it, unless you stumble up on one like I did, Get ready to lay down something north of $1000.00
depending on what you get and what bells and whistles.
As with all ammo, the situation sucks right now. You can't even find components to hand load with right now.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Go with a Rock River Arms LAR-8. It shoots the .308/7.62 NATO cartridges but uses the cheaper and easier to get FN/FAL magazines. Mount a decent scope on a LAR-8 and you come close to the new SASS sniper system being deployed by the Army.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The saiga is the easiest to mount a scope on for the money. If you like iron site check out the G3 or CETME

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the FN Scar 17 available to the civ market?

Thanks for all the suggestions... I have copied each down and will start some research on each one.

Saw something at the gunshop the other day I liked but did not get the model number. I know it was 308 cal, and styled like the colt AR15 except it was by a company...something like DPMS. Had 2- 19 round clips and they had it listed at 1800. I remember it felt heavier then any ar15 I had picked up when looking at them at gun shows.

·
+ULFBER+T
784 Posts
Are the FN Scar 17 available to the civ market?

Thanks for all the suggestions... I have copied each down and will start some research on each one.

Saw something at the gunshop the other day I liked but did not get the model number. I know it was 308 cal, and styled like the colt AR15 except it was by a company...something like DPMS. Had 2- 19 round clips and they had it listed at 1800. I remember it felt heavier then any ar15 I had picked up when looking at them at gun shows.
If you're familiar with the AR platform, disregard this. If not, I'd take the time to familiarize yourself with the pros and cons before you go that route. For a field rifle, people either love or hate them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After looking at those suggestion (only via pics) I like that rock river arms lar8 standard A4. Looks aggressive :)

I looked at a ps90 yesterday in 5.7 cal. rifle looks neat but I had to struggle to get a comfortable shooting postion and concerned about long term access to the ammo.

I have a CX4 .40 cal that I love the way that gun feels. It is a very natural shooting postion for me.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
You can't go wrong with the M1A, seek out a good supply of 20 rd mags (which was standard issue with the M14). Maybe some "old surplus" ammo pouches (60's era).

·
Registered
72 Posts
30 round magazines for .308 assault rifles?

Are there 30 round magazines for .308 rifles like the M1A/M14, FN FAL, or LAR-8?

Are they reliable? Where is the best place/brand to get them from?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
since you live in florida im not sure what terrain you would be in dense forrest or marshes/everglades.

if you live in dence forrest you dont need long range, so i would get a converted 16" saiga 308 with a colapsable stock and 6-9 mags
if your liveing in the marhes you may need a bit of long range, so i would look at an FAL and 6-9 mags

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love my rock river.Way lighter than the m14 and also kicks alot less.my came with a trigger set just shy of 2 pounds.my springfield m14 breaks at about 6.That sucks.Bad part is my rock river was ordered for over 2 YEARS before I got it.I just bought a cetme for 550$ 20 round mags are 6 bucks a peice through cheaper than dirt.It doesnt kick and it shoots everytime.2 more cents worth.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Are there 30 round magazines for .308 rifles like the M1A/M14, FN FAL, or LAR-8?

Are they reliable? Where is the best place/brand to get them from?

Thanks.
There is 25rd CMI ones for the m1a that are very reliable... No 30rd reliable ones that I know of though.

·
Registered
556 Posts
SAIGA 308- reliable AK action, decent accuracy, and a ton cheaper on the price tag even after you convert it (yourself that is).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Strength and Honor
290 Posts
I've researched this as well and have decided on a DSA FAL. Excellent reputation and reliability, plenty of options and abundant magazine supply. Ergonomics appear better than the M1A but that's not from personal experience.

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
M1A in standard or Scout. The Socom is a shorter movement and has different part then does the Standard or Scout making the parts for the Socom difficult to find. The M1A is a very serious weapon. It has no plastic parts. It is heavy but when you hold that firearm you know you are handling a machine that is made to work.

Springfield Armory guarantees the rifle for life and that guarantee moves to the new owner if you ever decide to sell it. Mine will never be for sale.

I am bias because I am not a fan of the AR style firearms. I am not saying that they are not good guns. I don't like the style, the plastics and the fact that the gases are blown back into the action to assist in the cycling of the firearm. In fact as for my 223 selection I choose the Mini 14 because it operates based on the M1A design and also has no plastic parts.

As for magazines look to Springfield Armory or Checkmate Industries. Don't waste your money on others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts