Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Buckeye Prepper
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a first for me with this problem with my tomato plants. The bottom of the plants are dying and the tops are green with tomatoes. They have received suffient water and side dressed with miracle grow. The plants are 5-6 foot tall but very leggy. Don't think I have done anything different this year, but worried I will loose all 48 plants! Any suggestions?

·
Geezer In Training
1,909 Posts
There are a number of things that can make lower leaves die on a tomato plant... Some are serious, some are not...

Is it just the very bottom layer of leaves right next to the ground that are dying? Or, did it start there, and then the next ones up died too, progressing up the plant?

The first scenario is quite common if you are having to water quite often... Your watering habits can cause this problem, as water and soil are splashed up on the plant as you water... Or watering too often, not letting the tomato dry out a little... Tomatoes don't like continual "wet feet"

If the leaves are dying progressively up the plant, you very probably have a fungus on your plants... If left untreated, it WILL kill the entire plant in a fairly short time...

You mentioned they were "leggy"... Are the plants receiving at least 6 hours of direct sun per day? If not, this can cause them to get leggy and end up dying back...

Karl

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I'm assuming you are from Ohio, but heat can reduce the production of many varieties of tomatoes. For example, there is little production in Florida starting in June due to the heat. I don't know if that is a factor where you are though. However, if you get too much rain on them it can affect them too.

·
Buckeye Prepper
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. The plants are in the ground, staked, and receive about 8 hours sunlight each day. The dying is progressing up the plant. How would I treat these for a fungus if this is the culprit? thank you all for the help.

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. The plants are in the ground, staked, and receive about 8 hours sunlight each day. The dying is progressing up the plant. How would I treat these for a fungus if this is the culprit? thank you all for the help.
I'm having the exact same problem with my tomatoes! It's called early blight. I found an orchard spray that kills fungus on tomatoes as well as other fruits/veggies/roses. After removing the dying leaves and stems I'm going to spray with the fungicide. It's called Bonide. Hope you get yours cured.

·
Buckeye Prepper
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI found out my problem is probably caused by watering in the evening and getting the plants wet. Decided this year a sprinkler would make the watering process easier not realizing I was causing harm to the plants. Glad it happened this year and I can correct and go on from here.

·
Buckeye Prepper
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, it is a fungus and because of what I was doing, the plants were getting the double whammy! thank you so much for all the replies to help me in the thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts