Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a Onan & Son's 10JWC/46 generator and I am having trouble finding manuals or anything related to it. My father is the one who got it in a trade with his neighbor and I'd like to help get it running for him. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
It's a Onan & Son's 10JWC/46 generator and I am having trouble finding manuals or anything related to it. My father is the one who got it in a trade with his neighbor and I'd like to help get it running for him. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
So you can't get the engine running? If so, I'd just take it to a small engine repair shop. But first, check the spark plug, fuel line, and air intake if you can to make sure everything is clean.

·
Banned
800 Posts
I'm going to assume the part in bold means the motor won't start??

Have you even tried to start it?

All engines need 3 things.. Air, fuel, spark. Air is an easy one.. Fuel and spark have to be checked and if I was a betting man, and its a gasoline engine, I'm going with fuel being the problem.

Is this a gasoline engine or a diesel? Have you tried to get it running yet? What does it do?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
One of the most common mistakes made with engines is shutting it off with fuel in the carburetor. Eventually the fuel evaporates with the float and value in the up position and get stuck there. Take the fuel bowl assembly down and make sure the float moves up and down. Shoot that area with carb cleaner.

Then prime the carb with fresh fuel. Shoot some started fluid into the air intake and let her rip.

If it does not fire up for a second or two, you have no spark. Trouble shoot the ignition system

If the engine doesn't turn over it's either blown or frozen. Remove the plug and shoot some wd-40 into the cylinder(s). Try to break it loose. Turn over by hand.

I'm sure you have swapped the oil by now right?

All basic engine stuff to do......but the trick is to get it to run for a few seconds....this will tell the tale.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts