Survivalist Forum banner

Need Advice For My Home/Safety

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  bthomasb1 
#1 ·
I'm in a serious predicament. My husband and I live in a mobile home at the V-intersection of two well-traveled roadways. We have no privacy whatsoever. We are trying our very best to find a home with acreage, or at least enough affordable acreage on which to build a home. But we are having no luck at all. I'm more than just a little concerned about our safety when it comes to TEOTWAWKI or when SHTF. What can I do in the meantime besides worry?

We have an insulated metal panel garage and we're sectioning off a part of it so that we can make an additional storage area for food and supplies. It will be a separate room, with access only from inside the garage. We plan on finishing this room for rough comfort and the little bit of safety we can come up with. But I'm worried and concerned because I know this is not enough.....

I need your advice! Thanks!

#4 ·
Assuming you're limited in funding like most of us, you should focus resources on finding that land or be willing to sacrifice funds to upgrade the current location. Not knowing you're layout, I would look at adding barriers to channel any intruders. This should probably be a layering of barriers. The outside, might be evergreen trees to shield view from the roadway. After that, possibly some high fencing, such as chainlink that does not shield your view (and potential sight picture), but discourages anyone from approaching or at least slows them down. Then you might review the thread on hardening your structure. Without hardening then all will be lost with the any returned fire should things come to that. All this will cost money. Money that may best be put into a more remote few acres. Tough decisions. Review people you know that you might be able to go to should some event happen. Prepositioning supplies there may help convince them you're serious and get them to agree. Good luck.

#5 ·
Do you have any prepper friends with a BOL...maybe that would be a second option to #1. moving to a secluded place. In the meantime, bulk up your home with a fence and guard dog. Keep plywood handy in the event you need to board up your windows. Reinforce your doors, windows and locks. Arm yourself and have a plan of action and have more than 1 bug out plan. Read as much as you can here and research options online. The more informed you are the better your chances. Good luck and keep at it! :thumb:

#8 ·
Sounds like a tough situation. I agree with extreme_survival84. You cannot reinforce a mobile home. I would also suggest you find a location, exp; friends, relatives, out in nowhere land that you can go to. The idea of hidden prepositioning supplies is a very good idea. Ky has a lot of places you could hide/get lost in if you need to. I would encourage you to make a Bug Out Bag of essentials for each person in your family that are very portable. Hope you do not have any little ones, that makes it even harder. Remember, you must prevail. Good luck on your planning.

#11 ·
what are you looking for price wise per acre? when I was stationed at ft campbell there were some good deals out near hopkinsville near the amish farms and but theres some affordable land if you go out to the stiks nice thing about being in a mobile home is you can get the land and put in a septic tank and just plop the trailer there and then have someone hook up the power then you can focus on saving for the house and either build it yourself or have it built

my advice is look for raw land and put the trailer on it worry about building the house little later

Reactions: HuritHart
#13 ·
I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond!

My father has a farm, but it is located on a main hwy and is frequently trespassed upon by others because of the wildlife (turkeys especially, the wildlife I mean). I'm sure he would allow us to bury supplies there, keeping OPSEC in mind. I've been mentioning my "preparations" to him. He seems understanding, especially when I use the term "self-sustaining." He grew up in far eastern KY, the mountains, where people lived that way. But I've not went so far as to tell him more. Our discussion on this thread has opened my eyes that I should.

My father is really the only person I've mentioned it to, so I have not developed a circle of prepper friends. :-(

When my eyes were opened to this lifestyle, I knew in our current situation we were screwed.

Again, thank you so much for your time and suggestions!

#14 ·
What part of Ky. do you live in, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in eastern Ky. (Johnson/Martin Co. area). If you're close enough, I don't have enough survivalist pards. You guys would be welcome to go in with me on one heck of a bunker. I have a buddy (in my MAG) who can do wonders with concrete, and I live in a very isolated locale, 16 miles from the nearest population center.

Just a proposal, if you're interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.