Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i am putting together a small survival tin to carry on me when out hiking. In the past i have used swedish firesteels and they are great, however to save space i was thinking of an american spark lite. (US Army survival issue). I can get one or more via ebay and was wondering if any of you could give a review on them:-

1 do they work

2 do they work well!

3 ease of use

4 value for money

I was thinking that for their size i could have several in pockets, spread around kit etc rather than just one firesteel.

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I prefer Swedish firesteel, but also use the spark lite. It works fine , like all starters, your "Tender" is more important.

The spark lite can be drilled at tip and placed on a necklace, less profile than Swedish firesteel.

Also the BoyScouts have a small firesteel, works great, can be attached to a jacket zipper---always there if you need it. It costs less than $2.50.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, think what i will do is put a swedish firesteel rod in the survival tin minus the large plastic handle to give more room. (I can always fashion a handle in the field), I think i will also get a couple of the spark lites and do as suggested and drill a hole and put on a zipper and keep a few around in pockets etc. for back up.

·
regular
647 Posts
I prefer Swedish firesteel, but also use the spark lite. It works fine , like all starters, your "Tender" is more important.
I am also a big fan of the Swedish fire steel.

I typically always try/plan to use it, unless it is raining/has been raining/similar.

Its been said a million times already, but always have (3) ways to start a fire.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
Kifaru Late Season packed with my favorite goodies.
12,078 Posts
I have them, and "Emotionally" I like them. However, from a practical stand point, I think the spark generating tool sucks. I would replace that, with a firesteel of the same size.

The tinders that come with the Sparklite are great though. It's well worth it to carry them. They come is a good, neat packed little container too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.