Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll I think I've got my mind set on a Gerber Freeman S30V from Cabela's. I really liked the reviews I've read on it, but I can't find any on the regular Freeman. So has anyone used the freeman fine edged drop point fixed blade?

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Gerber Metolius Fixed Hunter 3.75" Plain Edge Blade, looked better to me at Gander Mountain, today. It looked beefier and has a neet looking finger thumb rest and choil. The flatter grind on the Freeman is better.

Knife Hunting knife Blade Cutting tool Utility knife

Knife Hunting knife Cold weapon Blade Bowie knife

Save it $$$ for the Rat Cutlery RC-3. Remove the blade coating and scales. Wrap it with para cord. What a cool neck knife option. That's my plan.
Knife Blade Utility knife Cutting tool Hunting knife

The Becker Necker BK11 is very nice. It is a little short, 1" in the handle, but I'll never sell mine.
Knife Blade Cutting tool Tool Hunting knife

·
bushmaster
129 Posts
I've owned a Gerber Freeman fixed drop point for a few years now and I really like it. Mine is the older 440C with pearwood scales, and it has performed very well. It is a solid and very comfortable knife and I am always surprised that it never gets any coverage. Now that they are available in S30V I may have to get a new one.

·
Professional Knife Addict
677 Posts
Just ordered mine with the new G10 Scales in Black. $21.50 Shipped at Amazon you just cannot beat it. I want to have a different knife in every BOB/BOV, so this set should perform just fine!

·
Registered
214 Posts
The S30V steel ones that you asked about are probably decent quality, and made in the USA at least. A 2 inch blade seems kinda small to me though. The non s30V ones are made in china, and who knows what kind of steel they are.

·
Professional Knife Addict
677 Posts
The S30V steel ones that you asked about are probably decent quality, and made in the USA at least. A 2 inch blade seems kinda small to me though. The non s30V ones are made in china, and who knows what kind of steel they are.
I believe they are Gerber's standard 420HC found in their US/Taiwan/China blades such as the Metolius and Big Rock. Not sure about a 2" blade. All Freeman's are 4", whether you are speaking folder or fixed. :confused: I just ordered mine fixed for sturdiness.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I believe they are Gerber's standard 420HC found in their US/Taiwan/China blades such as the Metolius and Big Rock. Not sure about a 2" blade. All Freeman's are 4", whether you are speaking folder or fixed. :confused: I just ordered mine fixed for sturdiness.
The ad I was reading said the cutting part of the blade was only 2 inch. The metal part from tip to handle was 4.

Edit: Oh I see, I was looking at the one called a caping knife.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts