Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a recommendation for a hand mixer like the type pictured below, please.

Just for light duty mixing like; whip cream, egg white, cake batter, etc….
There‘s a huge number of choices with reviews for the same one ranging from it’s great to i’s a piece of garbage.
Another common complaint is that even on the lowest speed it sends batter flying.
Looking in $50 -$75 price point.

I already have a stand mixer that can mix concrete, a manual mixer for when the light go out and a whisk. Just looking for something light & easy for those light duty mixing jobs but won’t break in a month.

Output device Product Chair Peripheral Automotive exterior

·
Twisted, sick, smart***, occasionally sarcastic...
1,422 Posts
I bought my daughter a krups. Lots of good options NOT made in China. The krups model was the more expensive one but there are some I think in your price range. She has the same use requirements as you. Quick and dirty not needing the stand mixer.

Reactions: Texas23

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
A hand mixer can always send stuff flying. You have to pay attention to what container you are using it in and how and not hit mad mix speed right off the bat. :)

I doubt there is much difference in durability between the choices for a new purchase. This is the age of disposables with 3-month warranties. If they guarantee it for year, that's the new version of durable. Quality control is shoddy, so you'll get reviewers who got one that died in 3 days or came with a missing screw and reviewers who have one still working fine several years later, and they're obviously going to give very different reviews.

I have a 50-year-old one I got before I could afford a stand mixer. It held up well, and I still pull it out of the drawer occasionally to make a 7-minute cooked frosting or similar (gas burners and double boilers don't work with stand mixers). I think it's a Sunbeam, but things were made differently 50 years ago.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check for old models at salv. goodwill and such if you find one in good little used condition it will likly outlast the best of whats made from plastic now.
Probably the way to go and I much prefer to recycle reuse Unfortunately Salvation Army & Goodwill around here have some sad pickings. We live in a rural / poorer region so the good stuff stays in the family or goes to the pawn shop.
For the good second hand picking, the high dollar zip codes are best.🥴 Growing up, we‘d go cross town for garage sales and even trash day in the nice neighborhoods. Amazing what people leave on the curb.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Haven't worn out too many of them. We have a couple of cheap ones. But I will admit, the biggest irritation for me is the cord. It's always tangled. I've not explored any of the cordless models but there are some out there.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
My parents had a simple 1940s stand mixer, solid metal with a small and a large bowl (I think also a Sunbeam), that you could release from the stand and use as a hand mixer as well. Now that was a nifty. design. And the thing was still working in 2002 when mom took it with her when she moved to Colorado. Unfortunately, my idjut SIL disposed of it as "old junk." Sigh.

·
Registered
855 Posts
NYMin-

I remember growing up, Mom had “vintage“ one like this:

View attachment 441768
Selling on eBay now for $125.

Sad world we live in, when we have to find 50 year old second hand items if we want quality.
Hoping someone found a unicorn in the pile of junk offered on Amazon, Target, etc.
Yeah, I think those things were a requirement to obtain a marriage license, at one time. My mom used hers a couple of times a week. I still see those from time to time, at estate sales. In fact, I saw one just last week. They probably still work just like they did when they were new.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I like whisks. I keep several sizes hanging on the spinning utensil rack by my stove because I use them far more than my electric mixers, hand or stand.

But when it's a heavy-duty job, I use the mixers. Our great-grandmothers would all have gleefully used one too if they'd only had one. Even the Amish have devised a hand-crank version of the stand mixer for its mechanical advantage over whisk and wrist. :)

Dual Speed Hand Crank Mixer

There are new and old bucket-shaped hand cranked bread dough mixers as well because some jobs a balloon whisk is just not up to.

·
Indefatigable
22,981 Posts
$10 Black and Decker from Family Dollar.
The last one made it 18 years, I bought 3 when I replaced that one a few years ago.

Reactions: Texas23 and Aceoky

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I like whisks, even have a silicone coated one for using in non stick. But for a hand mixer I like real blades on beater not the wire blades. You have to search for the wider blades but they are out there.​

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Yes, the thin wires are for whipping egg whites and cream, not mixing batters and doughs. Which is why most stand mixers and a few hand mixers come with more than one blade attachment. For a hand mixer, I'd also opt for a wider blade, because a whisk probably can handle frothing lighter things you'd use a hand mixer on (and given the speed they can turn at in an electric mixer, the wider blades can also handle those jobs).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts