Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was reading a article in "the backwoodsman. Mag. They used a lawnmower blade to make a hatchet/machty if you wanted to do a little hard work, I may try making one just something to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take a look at the cold steel tomahawks, ive used 1 for some years now and i got no complaints, there also easy to modify using para cord for handle grip,ect..also Bark River knives make a nice ax thats worth taking a look at....ill try and get some pics up of my hawk in the next day or 2.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
which is that?
Estwing hatchet. Made in USA also. The handle is lacquered leather. It has a nice balance and lots of chopping power. You can use it for a hammer if you needed also. You really won't ever break it LOL It does weigh more than the model you posted, but if it is for the garden and busting roots, this will not fail. 14 inches also.

BTW if you want a temporary fix to your old hatchet (assuming it is wood handled) is to soak it in boiled linseed oil for a few weeks. It will swell up and keep it in place for a while longer. You will need to re-wedge it eventually, but the linseed oil soak will help in the short term. Never use water.

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was wondering about salvaging it, but its only a cheap craftsman, I dont know if I trust it anymore. I might keep the blade and use it for shaving wood or something.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got a Kobalt Tool wood handle one from Lowes little over a month ago, for 20 or so pretty decent Hatchet and apparently carries a guarantee. Took bit of time get the blade right but works good for processing wood( split a bunch for my smoker last nite) Husqvarna has pretty nice hatchet for little bit more(what I wanted but no one had them local in my area).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts