Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a book in the mail and have to say I am very disappointed in it.

I got it in order to learn about the various herbal remedies out there and how to make tinctures, etc and this was basically a good about how to ward off evil spirits.

I need a book that lists as many herbs as possible, with information as to how much to take, whet they cure or affect, how tinctures for that particular herbs are made, etc.

Does anybody know of a good book to recommend?

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
The Rodale Herb Book is very complete, with detailed instructions on the medicinal uses of many herbs, but deal largely with cultivated herbs--things that you might not find in the wild, but could certainly grow.

Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West by Michael Moore is one of the best for my region; if you let me know your general area of the country, I might have a reccomendation.

If you are planning to use wild medicinal plants, it is a good idea to actually get several different books, so you have way more than one photo/drawing to go on when identifying things.

·
Curious Cat
415 Posts
Here are two of my favorites.

“20,000 Secrets of Tea” by Victoria Zak. It has a breakdown of 100 common herbs and their uses and a separate section on common illnesses and the herbs commonly used to treat them. It’s a small reference book I’ve found very helpful. I initially checked it out from the library and liked it so much I bought it.

“The Green Pharmacy Anti-Aging Prescriptions: Herbs, Foods, and Natural Formulas to Keep You Young” by James A. Duke , Michael Castleman. I recently checked this out from the library and liked it so much I put it on my wish list. (I’m on a book budget). This book is very well done and I particularly liked the author’s gardening tips.

Here is how I find reference books:
1. First I search Amazon.com for books on my topic of interest. I read the reviews and come up with a short list of possibilities.
2. I then check the book out from my public library. If the library doesn’t have the book in their system they will almost always do an interlibrary loan to secure the book for you.
3. If/when I find a book worthy of purchase, the book goes on my wish list to be purchased as my book budget will allow.
VW

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Along with Peterson's get The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants by Andrew Chevallier. Great book. It even shows you step by step how to prepare them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Essential Natural Health Bible by Nerys Purchon is a great one if you want to mail order essential oils and make your own mixtures. It has "recipes" for certain ills great book.

·
Registered
204 Posts
one word: www.gigapedia.org

Not entirely kosher from a copyright POV, but I'd advise everyone to register and save your cash for preps not books.

Another which IS entirely kosher is www.scribd.com. Register and you can download.

Both are free. Search for your topic of interest

·
Registered
194 Posts
I must disagree with the "saving for preps NOT books". Books are a "prep". In SHTF situation there may not be power which means no computer. So having books is indeed essential. An extensive library on many aspects of survival will be needed. Anyways,` going to a used book store can save alot of money

·
Registered
204 Posts
I see your point.

I have an expansive physical library. Some of which consists of laser printed booklets or booklets from pdfs sourced from gigapedia or scribd.

I've been saving my money for preps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts