Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Evolutionist
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like the right forum or room... This is the kind of topic you might not think of until you find yourself in the situation, unless you've been there/done that.

When I was a wildland firefighter, we often spent many consecutive days humping hills with our packs on. It was inevitable that sometimes a piece of critical gear would get damadged, or wear out. Even the highest quality equipment can can have problems when it gets used day in and day out and used hard. I've seen water bottle pouch straps (belt type) come apart. I've seen shoulder straps start to tear because of a slice or tear in the material. I've seen the stitching on waist belts start to seperate from the pack. I've seen other "loaded" stitching start to come apart.

When gear fails, it usually means that you now have to carry whatever it is in your hand(s), because you can't just leave it behind. This can be problematic for a number of reasons which yo can guess and I will not bore you with. The best solution I ever was was to carry what we called a snap kit and a "saddle stitcher." I've included photos, hopefully they up load. THe saddle stitcher is super small, the wooden handle has a threaded cap and the hollow handle holds the needles and extra thread. It's not really thread, something much heavier that does not break (not monofiliment either). Very compact and light weight. Can use on any kind of webbing, nylon, kevlar, heavy canvas and leather. The snap kit just allows you to either replace a missing snap, or add a snap where you need one. Again, very small and light weight. I never bought or used the snap kit pliers, just the metal "punch" and a hammer, or a rock in the field. I seen them both on Amazon, though I got mine in a hardware store. Probably can find in a feed & tack type store too.

These are can't leave home without it items for my BOB as far as I'm concerned. I've seen "sewing kits" mentioned in people's lists, but no way you can make repairs to heavy material with an ordinary sewing needle, and ordinary thread will rip.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Yep, I got one in my BOB. I carry floss and a needle with an eye big enough for it in my GHB.

I never thought of extra grommets though.

I also carry wire, super glue, and of course duct and electrical tape.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Hey, thanks for the link to strapworks. I had been looking online/eBay for 1" side release National Molding buckles that would match those on my ILBE. I ordered some but they haven't come yet and now based on ones I looked at at REI I don't think they will mate up. I was lucky enough to find the last two pair of field repair buckles at my local EMS that do match.

I guess adding a couple of spare grommets makes sense, but JB Weld while it would be really nice to have may break my (camel's) back as my pack is already too heavy.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I have used a fish-hook as a improvised needle before for a backpack tear repair. Then some duct tape over that. But I carry extra buckles for my backpack. Especially the waste-belt buckle.

I also carry a tube of Mighty Putty to repair that "hard to replace" items. Tent poles, knife handles etc. You just mix it and mold it to what you need.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I haven't found a piece of gear yet that hasn't been durably repaired by a sewing needle and some poly thread. From wool to USGI Pistol belts, a sewing needle has suited me just fine! :thumb:

·
Wire Guided
933 Posts
The "saddle stitcher" is a great piece of gear...always good to have a few carpet or leather needles in your kit, too. I use the inner strands of 550 cord for thread.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have one pouch in my back pack that is just for repair items. Tarp eyelets, spare strap buckles, sewing kit, duct tape, wire, ect.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
that sewing awl and my little pruning shears are my two favorite and most used tools
I use a little container of waxed dental floss for extra thread. works great!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Pretty useful stuff to have. :thumb:

I'm also partial to duct tape, cable ties, and super glue. Coat hanger wire is pretty useful too.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I carry standard needles in a bunch of sizes as well as a couple sizes of the curved ones and sewing awl needles. You can not only have too small a needle, but too big of one, so I think a small variety is worth carrying. I carry a thinner black thread a heavier green thread and some clear nylon "thread" on the little metal spools. I think it's 50 feet of each type as I recall. I also carry 150 yds of fishing line. And a dozen each small, medium and large safety pins.

Any idea of what the thread you carry is exactly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts