Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was reviewing my preps the other day and I noticed I have next to nothing for medicine. I have some ibuprofen, anti fungal, and Vaseline. Otherwise I have nothing. I know a few obvious ones would be neosporin, maybe some decongestants, antacids and some vitamins. What other otc medicine can anyone think of that I haven't?

·
Only politics *****.
5,585 Posts
None. You don't want to stock medicine you have no knowledge about. If you want to know what else you can use, you'd best take a first aid class, or something like that, which goes in depth in some medication you can use in certain cases. Else you're a danger to your fellow man ;) (just think allergies, reactions etc you don't know about).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ask your physician about silvadine burn cream, not over the counter but a 2 pint tub of the stuff with insurance (at least ours) about $15 but it will last forever and is amazing stuff.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Cold and flu OTC preps can go a long way in making you feel better if you have a virus. Also, consider something as a sleep aid if times get particularly stressful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Melatonin, hadn't thought to pack that. I've been focused on stimulants to keep going (only the legal and safe kind mind you, not prepping a kilo of Coke or anything lol). During my time in Afghanistan sleeping outside the wire was usually with one eye open anyway, figured it'll be the same ad infinitum after shtf, don't want to sleep too soundly. But, that can have its own drawbacks too. As for allergies, neither my wife nor I have any to medications. as for anyone else we encounter, sorry, I'm not prepping for them. Thanks!

·
reluctant sinner
17,458 Posts
So start with a basic first aid class with CPR. Then take the advanced class. Next look for books like the Special Forces Medical handbook. Learn to make your own colloidal silver. You could consider fish/birds meds.

Have a good med tool kit with like tweezers, eye cup, stethoscope, magnifying glass perhaps a cheap microscope, scalpel with blades, a couple of pair of needle holders and some sutures, dust masks, dental filling repair kits, and pliers for teeth pulling.

Hand sanitizer, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, eye saline solution, soap, alcohol prep pads, betadine pads.

A Gray's anatomy book can be helpful. Books on medicinal plants and home remedy stuff like a drawing salve.

My new titanium cook set can function as a double boiler, I intend to use that function to make salves and such.

A pair of fully adjustable eye glasses.

·
Eclectic
1,894 Posts
Benadryl for allergies, laxative, anti diarrheal, Tylenol, guaifenesin (mucus relief), dextromethorphan (cough suppressant), nasal spray for congestion, New Skin, vaginal yeast treatment, jock itch and athlete's foot treatment, cortisone cream, muscle rub (aspercreme type doesn't have an odor), talcum powder.

·
Semper Gumby
1,104 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,133 Posts
As mentioned in the post above; get to know your non prescription fish antibiotics.

As an emergency off grid antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial educate yourself on colloidal silver.

Off grid vitamin C sources: citrus and pine needle tea.

Learn to minimize and mitigate the impacts of colds and flu without modern medicine while modern medicine is still an option.

·
Eclectic
1,894 Posts
As mentioned in the post above; get to know your non prescription fish antibiotics.

As an emergency off grid antibiotic, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial educate yourself on colloidal silver.

Off grid vitamin C sources: citrus and pine needle tea.

Learn to minimize and mitigate the impacts of colds and flu without modern medicine while modern medicine is still an option.
Another good source for vitamin C is rose hips. Also, ripe bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange, not the green ones).

·
Eclectic
1,894 Posts
Do a site search on fish antibiotics.

Then cross-reference diseases and dosages.

For instance; Fish Mox forte is Amoxicillin 500mg.

Among the many uses of amoxicillin is treatment of strep throat, tooth infection....etc. Adult dosage is 1- 500mg capsule every 8 hours for ten days.
Another source for fish antibiotics which should I use is SHTFsource.com

http://shtfsource.com

They sell bundles of several varieties, or just individual antibiotics.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I love this site for all of the information given here. I have never heard of the fully adjustable glasses before and as a diabetic my vision needs can change daily. These will be added to my list of payday items to go back to. Thank You.
Mark

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Clove oil for dental pain.

Hydrogen Peroxide and rubbing alcohol but not for use in wounds. Witch hazel, Epsom's salt, ducalax, pepto bismol, anti gas tablets, bag balm, hydrocortisone cream, povodine iodine, eye drops, coconut oil, honey, blood clotter.

·
reluctant sinner
17,458 Posts
Good nutrition helps you to stay healthy.

Green Dean on youtube is the man. "eat the weeds" Over 150 vid's on eatable plants.
http://www.eattheweeds.com/

My books for my AO.

Edible Native Plants of the Rocky Mountains by H.D. Harrington ISBN 0-8263-0343-9

Edible Wild Plants by Thomas S. Elias and Peter A. Dykeman ISBN 978-1-4027-6715-9

Western Medicinal Plants and Herbs by Steven Foster and Christopher Hobbs ISBM 0-395-83807-x or 0-395-83806-1 (flexi

Hit the downloads section for tons of manuals. Practice don't just read.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6

·
Registered
233 Posts
herbs are always a good choice....I have garlic(soft gels),turmeric,ginger, and a few others that I have personally used and tested on myself.

·
Semper Gumby
1,104 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts