Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being nearsighted, i often shoot open-sights without corrective lenses to test my ability at longer distances▬it ain't pretty!

About the best grouping i'm capable of WITHOUT corrective lenses at 100-125 yards using open sights is 4"-5" shooting Wolf ball ammo from a Norinco SKS carbine and Romy AK clone. Probably good enough for COM shots on human-sized targets out to 200 yards. I can get that down to around 3"-3-1/2" using my AR or .44 carbine with open peep sights and handloads. Range markers are definitely in order for me! :cool:

Typically can hit a 5-gallon bucket 4 out of 5 times from roughly 125 yards with peep sights and no corrective lenses. I can extend that range to about 250 yards by switching to quick-detatch 1.5-4X optics with equivalent accuracy. It typically depends on available ammo.

If i put my glasses on, i can get better grouping at extended distances [in an ideal scenario] obviously.. In a shtf scenario my corrective glasses and sunglasses may be damaged and/or unusable, or get lost in the fray.

Knowing how to shoot your firearms without your glasses on might just save your life.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I wear corrective lens also. Contacts 99% of the time. I think my vision is about 20/ 50 anyway without CL or glasses its bad. I've thought about what would happen if I needed to shoot w/out them. Guess i need to go to the range and see how I do. Start coming up with some solutions. Thanks for the food for thought.

·
Registered
158 Posts
think about making slit lens- glasses like snow blindness prevention with only a small opening to look through you have created a lens effect on your eyes

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Being nearsighted, i often shoot open-sights without corrective lenses to test my ability at longer distances▬it ain't pretty!

Typically can hit a 5-gallon bucket 4 out of 5 times from roughly 125 yards with peep sights and no corrective lenses. I can extend that range to about 250 yards by switching to quick-detatch 1.5-4X optics with equivalent accuracy. It typically depends on available ammo.

[/B]
That's funny.

I can barely see the bucket at 100Y without correction. A red-blur sight helps at least putting the red-blur on the white blur in hitting.

With an optical device (scope), I can do pretty decent, a 6" group offhand with my FAL or AR. Half that with the contacts installed. But I practice offhand more than most.

Me, I keep a spare pair of glasses handy in the patrol car as well as the BOB.
That's the spare pairs, not the occasional users.

Always have spares. That includes sunglasses.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's funny.

I can barely see the bucket at 100Y without correction. A red-blur sight helps at least putting the red-blur on the white blur in hitting.

With an optical device (scope), I can do pretty decent, a 6" group offhand with my FAL or AR. Half that with the contacts installed. But I practice offhand more than most.

Me, I keep a spare pair of glasses handy in the patrol car as well as the BOB.
That's the spare pairs, not the occasional users.

Always have spares. That includes sunglasses.
You do realize that peep/aperture sights act as a simple magnifier
I was shooting prone and from a rest

·
TechGeekInNature
365 Posts
I have been working on guns and bow with out my glasses, but to be safe I also have over 100 pairs of those month long disposable contacts.

·
READY&ABLE
1,269 Posts
I wear glasses....thats way i choose to run a varible power 1-4x32 scope on my rifle...if i lose my glasses for any reason..i can use the optics to see up close or out to medium distances...

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
You do realize that peep/aperture sights act as a simple magnifier
I was shooting prone and from a rest
I understand and am probably one of the few around here that use a Merit sight device when shooting peep sighted rifles and handguns for score.

I shoot mostly "combat" style thanks to my job anymore, (LEO) and have to shoot regularly with and without assistance for our qualifications.

My good eye is 20/225 uncorrected. You do the math.

Remember the guy that Burgess Meredith played in the Twilight Zone? Vaguely familiar.

·
Ranger
475 Posts
Hi Y'all,

Did you know that it was Benjamin Franklin who invented the small apperture glasses?

It works. Try making a pinhole in a piece of tape and putting it on one eyegass lens then close the other eye and look at the target.

Just doing that improves my vision enough to make long shots.

My uncorrected vision is horrible. Without glasses I could not survive.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
My vision is 20/400 plus with astigmatisum and 80 percent color loss and I feel fine in the woods without them. No I wouldnt take a 200 yard shot without glasses but part of survival means adapting and doing without. I will be fine. My hearing is off the chart better than 99.9 of all people and my smell is acute. So you better be a long way off or I will hear you and even smell you coming.

Good post Live long and prosper

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another concern i have is poor night vision.
My eyes adjust to the darkness fine, but i cannot see very far at all, even on a full moon lit night

I've got some decent optics and mounts at-the-ready, none of which require batteries. I cannot justify the expense of night-vision optics

I also prefer fixed-power scopes like Weaver over adjustables, but do have one 1.5x4.5-32mm scope for my .44 carbine

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
as far as the night vision I do even better there. I see almost as good in the dark as the light. Have you tried any of that Russian first generation night vision thats hundreds instead of thousands of $$$

Has eating fish and taking vitamin A and C,D, and E helped your vision.
It helped my daughter but not my x wife both have night vision problems.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as far as the night vision I do even better there. I see almost as good in the dark as the light. Have you tried any of that Russian first generation night vision thats hundreds instead of thousands of $$$

Has eating fish and taking vitamin A and C,D, and E helped your vision.
It helped my daughter but not my x wife both have night vision problems.
I cannot justify buying such an expensive [even if it's $200] item on my puny budget.. I'm still paying outta pocket to have my front end damage fixed after getting into an accident with an uninsured illegal wanted on multiple warrants

I'll have to try eating more fish and perhaps taking a vitamin supplement. Thanks for the tip

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
I'm so nearsighted that it would be impossible for me to shoot without corrective lenses. I can't even detect motion at 50 yards, much less make out the form of a human.

I've found a few things that work for me though. Peep rears help a lot. And on some guns I can relocate the rear sight forward some. That unfortunately reduces valuable sight radius, but it does help older eyes.

·
Taoist
2,023 Posts
Slightly nearsighted, but BAD astigmatism...without glasses on, it's like trying to see underwater without a mask. I have to wear glasses to target shoot.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
A couple of comments... in a survival situation do not wear contact lenses - the risks are too great.

These include abrasions, abrasions that turn into recurrent corneal erosions (spontaneous chronic abrasions), severe vision threatening and loss-of-eye threatening (in the absence of fluoroquinolone eye drop therapy) infections.

Don't do it -- you have been warned.

With respect to eyeglasses, here's a tip for your BOB and other back up plans: get a couple of extra pairs of glasses.

Do not underestimate the value of having these.

In the absence of access to electricity and a functioning society, you will not be able to replicate your lenses in your garage.

·
Taoist
2,023 Posts
A couple of comments... in a survival situation do not wear contact lenses - the risks are too great.

These include abrasions, abrasions that turn into recurrent corneal erosions (spontaneous chronic abrasions), severe vision threatening and loss-of-eye threatening (in the absence of fluoroquinolone eye drop therapy) infections.

Don't do it -- you have been warned.

With respect to eyeglasses, here's a tip for your BOB and other back up plans: get a couple of extra pairs of glasses.

Do not underestimate the value of having these.

In the absence of access to electricity and a functioning society, you will not be able to replicate your lenses in your garage.
4 pairs...how many more would you like me to have? :D::D:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts